Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 163925 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2011, 07:29:21 AM »
I'm not really sure of much yet, except that spending 3 refresh in order to have an excuse for a Compel is really not worth it. If you take Possession, you should get the mental attacks.

My interpretation of that trapping, on the other hand was merely that Bound Spiritual Entity qualified a character to upgrade their existing Domination power with Possession.  Not that it allowed a character to take Possession without having Domination.
It is important to note, in that instance, though, that Domination's 'helpless victim' clause is in no way overridden by either this power or Possession, so those mental attacks, while devastatingly powerful, are difficult to achieve in the first place, probably requiring a concession in their own right.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 26, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
This is my attempt at making a power which would allow one to play "Lasciel", the general idea is that temptation and bargaining grant the character access to a physical body, and allow them to further their agenda.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 27, 2011, 05:45:14 AM »
Side note: non-restricted Super-Science!.

SUPER-SCIENCE! [-4]
Description: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; any sufficiently defined magic is indistinguishable from technology. You're able to invent and build fantastic devices that are only dreamed about in science-fiction to create effects that blur the line between science and magic.
Sponsor: Super-Science! is sponsored by Science! itself. Science! is a semi-aware entity formed out of the scientific method and the collected knowledge of the human race.
Agenda: Science! desires to grow through the continued collective accumulation of knowledge and through the propagation of the scientific world-view. Beware, for the cold logic of Science can be used to justify any action...the same inspirations that created radiotherapy for curing cancer, first created nuclear bombs.
Evocation: Super-Science! evocations consist largely of the activation of supernatural weapons. As a result, they tend to be similar to exaggerated versions of real-life weaponry. Examples of Super-Science! evocations include homing missiles, laser blades, acidic bullets, and the like.
Thaumaturgy: Super-Science! rituals work through building machines and solving equations. If a ritual could conceivably be completed by those means, it may be cast with Super-Science!.
Evothaum: Super-Science does not grant the ability to use Thaumaturgy with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Super-Science! does not use the usual set of spellcasting skills. Resources replaces Conviction, Craftsmanship replaces Discipline and Scholarship replaces Lore for the purposes of spellcasting with Super-Science!. In addition, a character with Super-Science receives one free specialization in either Crafting power or Crafting frequency. Finally, a character with Super-Science! never accidentally hexes anything.
Drawbacks: Super-Science! evocations may not be cast without foci. Furthermore, Super-Science! foci and enchanted items are vulnerable to hexing. The difficulty is equal to Scholarship + twice the number of Enchanted Item slots invested in the item.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 28, 2011, 09:43:28 PM »
I didn't see this when I did a thread search. This is my attempt at Hunger based magic:

Hunger Magic [-1]
Description: You can channel the life force you've stolen to sate your hunger in order to bolster your spells.
Musts: Feeding Dependency, Some sort of Spellcasting
Skills Affected: None
Effects:
Reach Into the Well. You may invoke one spellcasting related aspect for the cost of two hunger stress without paying a fate point.
Deeper Reserves. Since you've learned to use stolen life force for other purposes, you've also had to expand your capacity to store it. You gain one mild hunger consequence.

A Few Things, and Explanations

So the major concern with most Hunger Magic attempts we see on the boards is opening up a whole new track to evocation use, adding two to four extra evocations to a spellcaster's endurance. I've (at least I think so) cleverly avoided this by treating hunger based magic as a weaker type of sponsored magic. Treating your inner hunger as a sponsor allows you to "burn" feeds for extra oomph on your spells in the same way that you would get for taking a sponsor debt and invoking an aspect.

On the flip side taking hunger stress drops a like amount of Feeding Dependency attached powers, so I think that giving one "free" bit of extra oomph every so often isn't so bad, hence the extra mild consequence.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:01:10 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 29, 2011, 07:31:15 AM »
Are we assuming that all hunger stress costs you powers here?

I thought that the prevailing interpretation was that only hunger stress that exceeded your track costed powers.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 29, 2011, 08:05:29 AM »
New Boon Of The Fisher King, created after some collaboration with Team8Mum. Feedback wanted.

BOON OF THE FISHER KING [-4]
Description: This is the power of the legendary Fisher King. Enough said.
Sponsor: The Fisher King is a very old and very powerful faerie who features in the mortal legends of Bran the Blessed and King Arthur. He is the wounded monarch on which the vitality of the land depends, his life sustained by the magic cauldron that can restore the dead to life. Over the years his legends have been mixed with Christian ones, giving him a severe identity crisis and essentially forcing him into senility.
Agenda: The Fisher King seeks to unlock the true potential of others, generally by sending them on quests. He prizes creativity.
Evocation: Evocations cast with the power of the Fisher King work by creating spectral weapons and warriors to aid their caster. They may not be cast in opposition to the Fisher King's agenda.
Thaumaturgy: Rituals cast with the power of the Fisher King may be used to create things or to inspire and aid others in their adventures. They may not be cast in opposition to the Fisher King's agenda.
Evothaum: All rituals that may be cast with the power of the Fisher King may be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Characters with the Boon Of The Fisher King may spend a Fate Point or take a point of Sponsor Debt to send a willing character on a quest. A quest is a compel against one of the quest-taker's aspects that sends the quest-taker on a journey to accomplish some great task. While on a quest, a character may invoke the aspect that sent them on the quest by taking a point of sponsor debt. In addition, a character with the Boon Of The Fisher King may spend a Fate Point or take a point of Sponsor Debt to give a Fate Point to or remove a point of Sponsor Debt from a character who is on a quest for them.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 29, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »
All hunger stress causes you to loose powers, hunger stress in excess of your stress track causes you to experience a "Hunger Take-Out," which would generally send you into a mindless feeding sort of headspace. That is the sort of situation that would likely force a White Court Virgin or a Red Court Infected to fall off the wagon and take the full template.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »
All hunger stress causes you to loose powers, hunger stress in excess of your stress track causes you to experience a "Hunger Take-Out," which would generally send you into a mindless feeding sort of headspace.
Yeah, I usually go for Take-out when I'm Hungry....
sorry, I could not resist.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 29, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »
It's not entirely certain.

Personally, I prefer the interpretation that says you need to be nearly taken out to lose powers. Otherwise the length of your Hunger track is basically irrelevant.

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 30, 2011, 01:10:29 AM »
re: boon of the Fisher King.

How does evocation summon spectral allies? It seems to be more of an application of summoning thaumaturgy, unless you mean evocation effects created using the fisher king's power look like spectral allies, much like Harry's force evocations can look like a giant fist. Or you could mean that fisher king casters prefer to use their evothaum to summon up allies, in which case I think you shouldn't put it under evocation. Or maybe I'm wrong, and you can summon up creatures with evocation and I missed that.

Either way I'll learn something.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 30, 2011, 07:28:24 AM »
It's just cosmetic. Should I make that more clear?

Or should I just add "summoning spectral warriors" to the thaum and evothaum options?

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 30, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »
It's probably fine. If you can think of a concise way to mention that it's a cosmetic thing in the description, go for it, if not I think it will be ok.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 30, 2011, 10:17:52 PM »
BOON OF THE FISHER KING [-4]
Description: This is the power of the legendary Fisher King. Enough said.
Sponsor: The Fisher King is a very old and very powerful faerie who features in the mortal legends of Bran the Blessed and King Arthur. He is the wounded monarch on which the vitality of the land depends, his life sustained by the magic cauldron that can restore the dead to life. Over the years his legends have been mixed with Christian ones, giving him a severe identity crisis and essentially forcing him into senility.
Agenda: The Fisher King seeks to unlock the true potential of others, generally by sending them on quests. He prizes creativity.
Evocation: Evocations cast with the power of the Fisher King take the appearance of spectral weapons and warriors created to aid their caster. They may not be cast in opposition to the Fisher King's agenda.
Thaumaturgy: Rituals cast with the power of the Fisher King may be used to create things or to inspire and aid others in their adventures. They may not be cast in opposition to the Fisher King's agenda.
Evothaum: All rituals that may be cast with the power of the Fisher King may be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Characters with the Boon Of The Fisher King may spend a Fate Point or take a point of Sponsor Debt to send a willing character on a quest. A quest is a compel against one of the quest-taker's aspects that sends the quest-taker on a journey to accomplish some great task. While on a quest, a character may invoke the aspect that sent them on the quest by taking a point of sponsor debt. In addition, a character with the Boon Of The Fisher King may spend a Fate Point or take a point of Sponsor Debt to give a Fate Point to or remove a point of Sponsor Debt from a character who is on a quest for them.

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 30, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
I don't know if this fits with your vision for the power and the sponsor, but how about adding something like:

"A character who incurs significant sponsor debt to the Fisher King finds himself compelled to conform to traditional tropes for questing heroes, including aiding any seemingly helpless individual who asks for it and insisting on antiquated notions of chivalry and honor. Given the degraded nature of the Fisher King's state of mind, such compulsions can take on bizarre and even dangerous forms."

Think Don Quixote. Just a thought, to give that sponsor debt some character and some teeth.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 30, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
I like the suggestion a great deal.