Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 163969 times)

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2011, 12:34:41 AM »
In regards to Displacement, if the block is broken do you still get a defense roll?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2011, 01:54:59 AM »
Unless otherwise stated, blocks are always in addition to defense rolls, essentially creating a minimum defense (against applicable attacks) which applies regardless of how low your defense roll may be.  If your defense roll is higher, though, all the better.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 23, 2011, 04:27:43 AM »
@Pbartender: Alright, then. I'll remove the restrictions. If people want to flavour their spellcasting as Science! anyway, there's nothing stopping them.

@KOFFEYKID: Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. You seem to be saying that Magi-Tech is worth updating, but I'm not sure if you mean to qualify that with your reference to restrictions.

So let me ask again, this time in Y/N format so that I can't possibly misunderstand your answer:

Now that Super-Science! lacks restrictions, should we update Magi-Tech for the list? Y or N?

@polkaneverdies: Tedronai speaks truth.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »
How would you price a recovery power that only worked through the vampiric " taste of death" function? Or would that not work as a catch?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
By RAW it would not work as a Catch.
I'm not sure how I would cost it.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »
I don't think that it would be a valid Catch, but it would certainly be a valid Power. I'm not sure what an appropriate cost would be...if I had to pick a number I'd pick +3. But that might be a mistake.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 24, 2011, 11:21:21 PM »
If Super-Science! has the restrictions removed I'd say it would be okay to get rid of my version of Magi-Tech, the differences are slight and though mine is slightly more powerful on the whole is is possible that mine might be a tad too good.

As for a Catch of "Only Works Via Taste of Death", Id say +3 is too much, +2 would be just about right.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 25, 2011, 03:42:34 AM »
Thanks, KOFFEYKID. That makes my job a bit easier.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 26, 2011, 05:23:49 AM »
Update to the following power I wrote.

Original

Bound Spiritual Entity [+3]
Description: You are a spiritual entity imprisoned within a physical object, you have no body, and cannot act in the physical world without a bearer.
Effect:
Unbodied. You cannot take physical skills, you cannot move yourself, and you cannot communicate verbally and other neat things.
Communicate with Bearer. You are able to telepathically speak with the bearer of the object you are tied to.
License to Possession. You may take the possession upgrade of Domination in order to possess your bearer.
Called to Bearer [-1]. You have the ability to tie yourself to the bearer of your physical prison, and you can teach them to call your prison to their hand.

The Update

Bound Spiritual Entity [+3]
Description: You are a spiritual entity imprisoned in a physical object, you have no body, and cannot act in the physical world without a bearer.
Effect:
Unbodied. You cannot take physical skills, you cannot move yourself, and you cannot communicate verbally and other neat things. You do not have a physical stress track, and your prison can not be destroyed by any means. Any physical stress you would take is instead converted to mental stress.
Communicate with Bearer. You are able to telepathically speak with the bearer of the object you are tied to.
License to Possession. You may take the possession upgrade of Domination in order to possess your bearer. For the purposes of the Possession upgrade you are considered to be constantly "insubstantial".
License to Item of Power. You may act as an item of power for the bearer of your prison. You are allowed a Item of Power rebate equal to the size of your prison but you must purchase the powers you are able to grant as well. Normal restrictions to the refresh rebate apply.
Called to Bearer [-1]. You have the ability to tie yourself to the bearer of your physical prison, and you can teach them to call your prison to their hand.

-edit-

And the power at work:

Name: Eric Camden

HC: Wizard's Soul Bound to a Ring
TR: The Lust for the Ring
OA: Born in the 1800's; A Strong Will, to Survive Alone; Tempting the Bearers; ??; ??

Skills
5 Lore
4 Conviction, Discipline, Scholarship
3 Alertness, Deceit, Presence
2 Empathy, Intimidation, Rapport
1 Endurance, Investigation, Performance

Powers & Stunts
-0 Bound Spiritual Entity
   -Possession
-3 Evocation
-3 Thaumaturgy
-1 Refinement
-1 The Sight
-0 Soulgaze
+1 Item of Power (You)*
-2 Sponsored Magic (You)*

*These powers are granted by you to your bearer, and you cannot access them directly.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:41:40 AM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 26, 2011, 05:40:05 AM »
Why would you have to pay refresh for abilities that you are able to grant to another character (but that you cannot necessarily use yourself)?
Does the fact that you have already payed for those abilities mean that that character does not have to pay for them?
Similarly, if you get the IoP discount, does the character carrying around your prison also get this discount?
Slough

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 26, 2011, 05:46:38 AM »
Well, you do have indirect access to the Item of Power abilities *if* you possess your bearer. If you make your bearer inhumanly strong and then possess him, then you have access to that power.

Id say that the whether or not the bearer has to pay for the powers is entirely dependent on the situation. If your bearer is an NPC then it is not nearly so important as it would be if the bearer was a player. If the bearer only has access to said powers on an intermittent basis that should be factored in as well.

As a general rule of thumb though I am inclined to say No, the bearer doesn't have to pay refresh for the IoP benefits and likewise doesn't receive a rebate for it unless the character with the Bound Spiritual Entity power is an NPC, though if its an NPC then you really dont *need* the Bound Spiritual Entity power at all.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 26, 2011, 05:56:43 AM »
If you would gain access to your own IoP-granted abilities by way of possessing your bearer, then you would also gain access to all of their powers.  As such, any argument on that basis for having to pay refresh for the ability to grant those powers would have to also extend to any powers your possessed bearer has of their own accord.

The more I look at this power, the more I find the complications it produces to be problematic.
Slough

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 26, 2011, 06:18:30 AM »
Well, on the flip side there is no such consideration for the possession upgrade to begin with. Any character with access to Possession, PC or NPC, gets the ability to use their hosts powers, stunts, skills etc.

One thing to note is that having the possession upgrade without domination does not grant you a way to perform mental attacks, so any possession scenario must be played out via compels, perhaps I should note that in the power.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 06:26:57 AM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 26, 2011, 07:12:09 AM »
Well, on the flip side there is no such consideration for the possession upgrade to begin with. Any character with access to Possession, PC or NPC, gets the ability to use their hosts powers, stunts, skills etc.

The point being that if the Possession power grants you access to the powers they had before they picked you up, why doesn't it equally grant you access to the powers they gained by virtue of picking you up?  It doesn't make sense.
And if you DON'T have Possession, why are you paying to make another character, over which you have no direct control, more powerful?
ie. Why is PC A paying for PC B's powers?
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 26, 2011, 07:19:38 AM »
This one's going to be a lot of work...the weird powers are always the hardest.

I'm not really sure of much yet, except that spending 3 refresh in order to have an excuse for a Compel is really not worth it. If you take Possession, you should get the mental attacks.