Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 172075 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #720 on: November 20, 2012, 06:14:37 AM »
Okay, here's a new version. It's supposed to take into account the suggested changes while duplicating the Image Breaker Power w&m posted recently.

MIGHT OVER MAGIC [-2]
Description: You can shatter magical effects through physical force.
Skills Affected: Might, Fists, Weapons.
Effects:
Disruptive Strikes. You destroy ongoing spells by hitting them. Doing so requires you to roll your Might skill plus the weapon rating of your melee attacks (including Strength bonuses) against a difficulty equal to the spell's strength or complexity. If you succeed, the spell ends.
Parry Magic. You may use your Might skill plus half of any stress bonus you have from Strength Powers in place of your Athletics skill to defend against magical attacks and maneuvers.
Anti-Magic Attacks. You may use Fists in place of Might with this Power, but you receive no benefit from weapons while doing so unless you can wield them with Fists. You may also use Weapons in place of Might with this Power, but only if you are armed with a weapon suitable for use with Weapons.
Skill Over Magic [-0]. When you use your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill to defend against a magical attack with multiple targets, you may allow any number of other characters targeted by the same effect to use your defence roll in place of their own. However, you do not benefit from Strength or weapon ratings when using this Power.
Living Counterspell [-1]. When you use your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill to defend against a magical attack with multiple targets, you may allow any number of other characters targeted by the same effect to use your defence roll in place of their own.
Superior Might Over Magic [-2]. Add four to your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill when using it with this Power.

Damn, it's way more complex than I wanted. Any suggestions for simplification?

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 20, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »
What's the difference between Skil over Magic and Living Counterspell?

Other than that it's not really complicated, you just put (or fists, or weapons) up multiple times more than you needed to since Anti-Magic Attacks already made it clear you could use those.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »
The last clause of Skill Over Magic is not present in Living Counterspell.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »
Missed that, thanks.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 20, 2012, 07:34:12 AM »
Okay, I now have time to get back to this.

Gathering up the Powers that have been changed lately.

I added my own version of the eight-gate Power because nobody else said to use theirs.

Also, the Venomous upgrade is now available for Natural Weaponry.

Variable Abilities and the revised Might Over Magic are here too.

I've made minor changes to Dangerous Aura, Feel No Pain, and Incite Effect, so they're also here.

To do:

Make it so that even physical symbiotes merge with their hosts.

Allow people to purchase Limitation multiple times.

Revise Extra Appendages to allow spray grapples, and so Superb Coordination isn't strictly worse than Excellent Coordination.

Prepare the new Powers from the other posts for addition to the list.

Fix or get rid of some of the worse Powers on the list.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 21, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »
Okay, edits made.

I added a note saying Limitation could be taken multiple times.

I allowed spray blocks, including spray grapples, with Extra Appendages. I ditched Superior Coordination, because upon analysis it did nothing Excellent Coordination doesn't do. I might still rename Excellent Coordination for elegance's sake, but that's not important.

In every Power that had an Abandoned Body trapping, I made it so that you merge with your host regardless of whether you have Spirit Form. Because I could only think of one character concept that actually left behind a meat body while possessing someone, and it's covered by a Spirit Form upgrade.

Feedback would of course be appreciated.

If this passes muster I'll update the list in a day or two.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 21, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »
Hey Sancta. I put up my final draft of the 8 Gates power. I would preffer that one be used but if you want to use the one you put up thats cool too.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 22, 2012, 04:20:16 AM »
Ask, and you shall receive.

I think your final draft ought to work fine in most games, though the second gate makes me a little nervous.

Anyway, bringing your final draft over here for reformatting now. Can you open every gate in one exchange? If you don't say I'll assume you can.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 22, 2012, 04:39:05 AM »
And here's the reformatted version.

(click to show/hide)

Hope I didn't screw anything up.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:54:35 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 22, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
Forgot the Item Limitation side-grade for Limitation. Adding it.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 23, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Okay, new update. Here's a link, because we're all too lazy to track down one of the earlier links.

Here's what happened:

(click to show/hide)

Please tell me if you disagree with anything I did.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing opinions about the probation list entries. I'm not sure what to do with those, so I'm leaving them alone until the next update.

PS: The list is currently 58 pages, 30960 words, and 188162 characters long.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 23, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
Probably misreading it, but something I wanted to bring up for a while - Limitation's discount seems a bit much. I mean, basically, once every session or so, your power won't work, and in exchnage it only costs half? Even if the power nullifying lasts a whole scene, I imagine a session would have a whole bunch of scenes. Also, how would you translate Limitation to, say, PbP?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 23, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
I'd start by saying that 'My Limitation is preventing my from using my Powers.  It's a good thing I don't actually need them right now' doesn't count.  Limitation has to bar access to your powers in a way that matters for it to grant its rebate.  No picking up Limitation on your Evocation and Thaumaturgy stating that they can't be used at the same time.

Second, PbP already has the issue of deciding how long a 'session' lasts for arbitrating other effects (enchanted item recharge, healing rates, etc), so session time increment estimations for Limitation are just one more item on the list.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 23, 2012, 10:41:48 PM »
What Tedronai said.

However, I'm not dead certain that Limitation doesn't provide too much Refresh. The rebate is generally smaller than the ones provided be canon Powers, but still...might be too big.

The idea is that you won't get to use your Power all the time, so negating it in one scene cuts out a lot of it's value. Especially since the scene in which it is negated is likely to be an important one.

Hopefully that idea holds up in your game.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 24, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »
Just realized I forgot to remove Quasi-Modular Abilities from the list. Given that Variable Abilities renders it obsolete, I'm gonna do that now.

But I've got a PC using the Power in a PbP game, so I'm putting Quasi-Modular Abilities in this post. I'll likely need it later.

(click to show/hide)

I'm going to take the silence that has greeted this update as a good sign. Means I didn't offend anybody.

But I would really like some commentary on that probation list.