Author Topic: Weak book binding.  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
Weak book binding.
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »
I've only had the DFRPG books for a week or two, and I'm finding that the binding on my copy of Our World is questionably flimsy, and perhaps on its way to giving up the ghost. I don't subject my books to extreme use, just laid flat reading, so it's a bit disturbing. It seems like for the cost, hard cover rpg books just aren't made like they used to be.

Is there a replacement policy for new books that fall apart prematurely? Mine hasn't yet, but it seems in threat of it.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Weak book binding.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
I've only had the DFRPG books for a week or two, and I'm finding that the binding on my copy of Our World is questionably flimsy, and perhaps on its way to giving up the ghost. I don't subject my books to extreme use, just laid flat reading, so it's a bit disturbing. It seems like for the cost, hard cover rpg books just aren't made like they used to be.

Some books made it out without the glue setting properly. Luckily for us this hasn't been happening with more than a minority of copies.

When working properly, the the binding method itself is actually very robust. You can read more about it at these two places:

http://www.bookfactory.com/Smyth-sewn-books.html
http://www.couturebook.com/blog/2008/05/20/WhatTheHeckDoesSmythSewnMean.aspx

Is there a replacement policy for new books that fall apart prematurely? Mine hasn't yet, but it seems in threat of it.

If it does, take pictures and contact me by email with your snail mail address. We'll get you sorted out.

You can email me at evilhat on the gmail.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »
^ Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you: Real Customer Service.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »
No kidding!  I am very impressed. 

My old gaming group had a close personal relationship with the company who published the living campaign we played in (some of our characters made it into the books) and they just shrugged and said that's China for you... 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
^ Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you: Real Customer Service.

No doubt!  ;D

Thanks for the heads-up Fred! You are the man!

Keeping a wary eye on my books for now.

And looking at the links Fred gave, I'm a little more confident in the binding. They do lay flat, which may be what's got me feeling uneasy. I reckon the binding may be stronger than I think even though it "feels" loose.

Either way, I'll keep my eye open, and only use Fred's generous policy if something does come apart.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:18:29 PM by Set Abominae »
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »
    This is sort of off topic, to the actual thread, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

It seems like for the cost, hard cover rpg books just aren't made like they used to be.

Actually, I think, in general, RPG books are made better now than they used to be. Certainly there are exceptions, and the odd individual flawed book (which seems to be the case here). But I remember 2nd edition D&D, where every single member of our group, had had to patch the binding on every single hardcover book, with duct tape, because they fell apart after a couple months of use.
    I haven't (nor has anyone I've gamed with) had to do anything like that on any of their books since then. So I'd say, as a rule, the quality of the actual RPG books has gone up across the board since the mid 90's (roughly the time RPG's really started to take off as an industry).
    Yes, the prices of the books have gone up drastically over that time (I'm paying two to three times as much now for a core game book than I did then), but I think thats actually part of the reason why the quality has gone up too. None of us would pay $40-$60 for a book like the 2nd edition D&D corebooks. We'd look at the book, and go, "horrible quality, mediocre artwork and shoddy rules system, not worth the price."

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
   This is sort of off topic, to the actual thread, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Actually, I think, in general, RPG books are made better now than they used to be. Certainly there are exceptions, and the odd individual flawed book (which seems to be the case here). But I remember 2nd edition D&D, where every single member of our group, had had to patch the binding on every single hardcover book, with duct tape, because they fell apart after a couple months of use.
    I haven't (nor has anyone I've gamed with) had to do anything like that on any of their books since then. So I'd say, as a rule, the quality of the actual RPG books has gone up across the board since the mid 90's (roughly the time RPG's really started to take off as an industry).
    Yes, the prices of the books have gone up drastically over that time (I'm paying two to three times as much now for a core game book than I did then), but I think thats actually part of the reason why the quality has gone up too. None of us would pay $40-$60 for a book like the 2nd edition D&D corebooks. We'd look at the book, and go, "horrible quality, mediocre artwork and shoddy rules system, not worth the price."

EVERYTHING has gone up drastically over that time. Look at the price of gas alone. Real estate prices. Girl Scout cookies. That's why, when comparing the prices of two things separated by years, they always include the term "adjusted for inflation".
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »

My experience has been somewhat opposite in some cases. I have several books from FFG for the Warhammer 40k setting that have questionable bindings, and at least one has actively begun to disintegrate. Not a welcome turn of events for a pricey hardcover.

Granted all of my Wizards stuff is built like a tank, as is various other publications from various developers like RedBrick and PEG.

But given my deep love and reverence for the Dresden Files, seeing a potential for problems in my books makes me a bit jittery.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
Fred,

The signatures are indeed beginning to separate from the spine. It's the worst where the top of the pages meet the spine, resulting in a noticeable gap between the signatures that gradually narrows as it approaches the bottom of the pages, and between them and the spine (where several are beginning to detach from the spine).

I've emailed you digital photos and my snail mail as you requested at evilhat@gmail.com.

Is that the correct address?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
Yep, I've got it, and will process sometime today. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »
Yep, I've got it, and will process sometime today. :)

This is why you are made of win and awesome!

And you thought it was DNA!  :P

Offline kertain

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 01:01:58 PM »
Sucks about the binding, but I am glad Fred sorted you out :)

I have to say I have used the crap out of both my books and neither show any sign of binding issues.
Its funny because just a few days ago I made a comment to a friend on how well my books were holding up.

Cheer!
Kertain

Offline Khalis231

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
Hi,

I've been lurking this forum for a while now, but this thread motivated me to actually create an account and post. I've been worried about the binding of my Your Story ever since I got it a few months ago. Several sections in the middle of the book appear to be coming loose from their bindings, and the binding makes a crinkling sound whenever I open the book to these sections - it sounds like adhesive is coming apart, and that fits with what Iago mentioned about the glue not setting properly. The actual damage is minimal thus far, due to a rather obsessive dedication to preventing book damage on my part, but according to those links the books are supposed to be able to lay flat, and I haven't opened my book completely since I noticed the binding issue a few months ago. I know it's partly subjective opinion but the book feels fragile when I open it, and that doesn't fit with what I just read about this binding type being the most robust binding on the market. My copy of Our World is perfectly healthy, and it doesn't feel like I'm killing the book whenever I open it all the way.

Now, knowing that there might be a legitimate issue here, and that my book would be replaced if there is indeed a problem with the binding, I'm going to stop handling my book like a newborn baby made of glass and cotton candy and see what happens. It would be nice to not have to worry about cradling the book in my lap at an acute angle every time I open it, or playing Book Nazi whenever a friend decides to take a peek at the book. Okay, let's be honest, I'd be playing Book Nazi anyways.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »
I have heard of folks who've run into the binding problem giving a little Elmer's a shot in the areas where the pages are loosening up, but yeah, if your book does come apart on you, email me (not PM! I miss PMs on here all the time).
Fred Hicks

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »
My book binding fell apart within the first three months I had the book, so I brought them to a local printing company in Austin and had them spiral bound. The books look great, but I need to bring Your Story back because they got some of the pages mixed around.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby