Author Topic: Cool words  (Read 13017 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Cool words
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 02:02:27 AM »
cool  recombobulated!  rolling that one over and over in my mind and tongue!  Of course if you were that far in your buzz--I admire your ability to say it at all. *smiling*

I also took the term "disgruntled" and dissected it with Occam's Razor. Back when I was teaching at a public university (and happy with it), I called myself a "gruntled government employee". ;D

I'm told I speak more easily and more glibly with a wee dram of the booze in me. That or being utterly tired but wired; I've actually invented a few words in that state. My favorite has always been "retrosnack". Think about it. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 06:41:16 AM »
Urgh, I think I know what retrosnack means Shecky.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
I also took the term "disgruntled" and dissected it with Occam's Razor. Back when I was teaching at a public university (and happy with it), I called myself a "gruntled government employee".

This reminds me of a famous PG Wodehouse quote, something like:  "While not precisely disgruntled, he was far from gruntled."

I like defenestrate "to throw from a window" and from HP Lovecraft:  squamous, Stygian, ichor, foetid, Tartarean.  The problem with using those in a story, though, is that it usually comes off as Lovecraftian pastiche.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »
I love the words foetid and ichor.  I like the word noisome as well. They may be a bit cliched but I love the descriptive power of phrases like "a dank, foetid jungle" or " foul, noisome ichor dripped from its wound".

How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »

This reminds me of a famous PG Wodehouse quote, something like:  "While not precisely disgruntled, he was far from gruntled."

I like defenestrate "to throw from a window"

By logic, "fenestrate" should be "to push in through a window". :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »
"It would be almost impossible for the burgular to reach the second floor window so we think he must have had a friend fenestrate him."
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 05:55:10 PM »
LOL

Offline Delarith

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
I've always loved the phrase "inane little twit" myself.  It gets the point across without being vulgar.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
I've always loved the phrase "inane little twit" myself.  It gets the point across without being vulgar.

"Yammerhead" does the same thing in one word and just sounds worse. ;D

Offline Phid

• Posty McPostington
  • well... i will give anyone a hug...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 12:32:12 AM »
I love the word "discombobulated". I've played with it a lot over the years. Examples:

- after a couple of drinks and feeling happy and at peace with the world, "Man, I'm feelin' mighty combobulated right now."
- regarding getting my s*** back together, "Ugh, what a clusterf*** this week's been. Head ain't on straight. Gotta get recombobulated."
i may just use thease in RL
DV<Phid> V1.2 Yr4  Fr(.5) BK++ RP-  JB TH +++ WG CL++ !SW—BC++ MC+ SH[Mavra+, Molly++]

Offline Piotr1600

• Posty McPostington
  • Not *quite* the Eye of Providence...
    • View Profile
    • Go For Throttle Up - Music you haven't heard
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 12:51:09 AM »
I'm trying to remember which airport has a "recombobulating zone" right after you pass thru security... Milwaukee? Green Bay? It always makes me laugh...

coprolite - fossilized dinosaur doo. Also always good for a smile.
My band: http://www.soundclick.com/goforthrottleup -

The real problem with the shallow end of the gene pool is that it isn’t deep enough to allow the depth charges to arm. - By "Hardware" on Larry Correia's website.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 07:02:25 AM »
There was a humorist - Jack Douglas who said that the town he was living in, small town in Connecticut I think - gave
him a pair of Coprolite cuff links.  He was highly amused.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »
The troll in the Discworld novels--essentially a living rock--uses "Oh, coprolites!" as a swear word.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
Detritus.  Love Detritus.

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
flyting

blevey

qualms

Mississippi question: which is flotsam and which is jetsam?