Author Topic: Physics of A Firearm of Unusual Size  (Read 3380 times)

Figging Mint

Re: Physics of A Firearm of Unusual Size
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »

On first reading the premise I sort of saw a serious treatment, somewhere in between Chalker's Flux and Anchor and Lyndon Hardy's Secret of the 6th Magic.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Physics of A Firearm of Unusual Size
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
I think this would work best as a humorous story, then I can see enjoying it-given that his premise reminds me of Xanth.
On first reading the premise I sort of saw a serious treatment, somewhere in between Chalker's Flux and Anchor and Lyndon Hardy's Secret of the 6th Magic.

I probably should have mentioned the tone of the Short Story & the following Novel I'm doing next month for NanoWriMo is light-hearted fun that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I haven't read Xanth, but I will see about checking it out. Hitchhiker's and Snow Crash are the main influences on the style and tone I'm aiming for. That is, exaggeration for effect and an in-your-face narration style.

But, I personally like to have some solid grounding in truth, but at some point you just have to relax and go for the laugh.

Neuro cringing notwithstanding, I did end up redesigning what I had in mind for the Giant and came up with a better explanation than, "It works because I say so.". I took a nod from an article on Deep Sea Giantism and came up with motive system using a Gravtiy bubble. It at least gives it some logic.

Followed up on what Breandan said and there IS a naval gun, well several naval guns and train guns from WWI & WWII actually, with the exact same characteristics as the gun I had imagined. Exact same muzzle velocity as a Dragonuv...but a range of 30km. I'll have to add in some description, but I have data, hard data as to exactly what such a thing does. Though it was just never intended to be used in this fashion...
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...