Author Topic: Powerful Weapons!…Questions  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Magus Black

• Conversationalist
  • The Truth in more ways than One!
    • View Profile
Powerful Weapons!…Questions
« on: May 05, 2011, 02:14:57 AM »
Looking through both Volume I and II I noticed that there are a few factors that can increase a weapon’s damage above its normal lot.

For example the Warden’s Sword is always ‘at least’ Weapon: 3, for a typical long sword, because of ‘superior crafting’.

First Question is at what points do superior craftsmanship increase the weapons damage capabilities? Is it entirely in the hands of the GM, or is there an official answer? And if its GM dependent, then what are yours?

The Second Question is for Items of Power. Like the above question,  is it possible to increase a weapons damage permanently (not the one-shot attacks)? What Price would you put on each point increase? Or would you allow it at all.

I would like to know since I’m trying to focus on a “Legendary Weaponsmith” concept.
As if I needed more incentive to go to Hell.
"Only Sheep need a shepherd!" -- unknown
"Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Powerful Weapons!…Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:17:40 AM »
You could allways go with a stunt to represent master crafting which could either give a +1 to weapons rolls or a +2 to weapons rating
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 02:27:25 AM »
I've been doing it this way:
For IoP: -1 Refresh for +1 to Weapons rolls (like an overpowered Stunt).  -1 Refresh for +2 Weapon rating (like Claws).

For Crafting, I'd probably make it a stunt.  Bladesmith: +1 to the rating of all edged weapons made with your crafting skill.

Offline Magus Black

• Conversationalist
  • The Truth in more ways than One!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:32:55 AM »
You could allways go with a stunt to represent master crafting which could either give a +1 to weapons rolls or a +2 to weapons rating

I've been doing it this way:
For IoP: -1 Refresh for +1 to Weapons rolls (like an overpowered Stunt).  -1 Refresh for +2 Weapon rating (like Claws).

For Crafting, I'd probably make it a stunt.  Bladesmith: +1 to the rating of all edged weapons made with your crafting skill.

Hmm So what do you do when those weapons are in other people’s hands, a craftsman after all doesn’t make weapons to gather dust? How do other players put that on their character sheet, and not just players but anything that gets a hold on one?

Alternatively, I’m playing an old school warrior type how would having a weapons\ of superior quality effect things?
As if I needed more incentive to go to Hell.
"Only Sheep need a shepherd!" -- unknown
"Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

Offline @BCrosswood

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
DFRPG is a exercise in creative justification. I'd see no problem with you having high end weaponry but I'd say you'd need to have a contacts rating that reflects the difficulty in obtaining a masterpiece sword/gun/armor/whatever.

With enough skill you could also layer metals into the blade to include silver, cold iron and any other materials that might be needed to cut through typical immunities.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
Hmm So what do you do when those weapons are in other people’s hands, a craftsman after all doesn’t make weapons to gather dust? How do other players put that on their character sheet, and not just players but anything that gets a hold on one?

Alternatively, I’m playing an old school warrior type how would having a weapons\ of superior quality effect things?

Easy: Increase the Contacts or Resources needed to acquire the item by +1 or 2.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
I don't like the idea of adding to a weapon's weapon rating beyond 3 or 4 without a refresh cost. It's a balance concern.

I prefer aspects.

That being said, I would allow superior craftsmanship to push the limits a little. For example:

A normal knife is weapon 1, while a sword is weapon 2. But a really good knife could easily be weapon 2.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
I don't like the idea of adding to a weapon's weapon rating beyond 3 or 4 without a refresh cost. It's a balance concern.

I prefer aspects.

That being said, I would allow superior craftsmanship to push the limits a little. For example:

A normal knife is weapon 1, while a sword is weapon 2. But a really good knife could easily be weapon 2.

I know it's too crunchy for some, but I like to add additional stats.

Like... good sais are +1 to block.

A good katana is a weapon 3 with +1 weapon to an unarmored opponent.

A good Kukri is a weapon 2 with a +1 bonus to maneuvers against limbs.

A good gladius is a weapon 2 or 3, with a +1 armor penetrating performance.  Etc. etc.

Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
Looking through both Volume I and II I noticed that there are a few factors that can increase a weapon’s damage above its normal lot.

For example the Warden’s Sword is always ‘at least’ Weapon: 3, for a typical long sword, because of ‘superior crafting’.
The "superior crafting" of wardens' swords refers to a unique enchantment/crafting technique known only to a single wizard weaponcrafter who has since lost the capability of reproducing it.  I think it's safe to say that the resulting +1 weapon rating is probably beyond the capabilities of non-plot-device crafting techniques; therefore such weapons should all be treated as plot devices (ie, Items of Power).

Another way of looking at it: if it was possible to create a production line of any sort that produced weapons with an improved rating, then the new rating would become the standard, and the rule book would note that knives are w:2, 2-h weapons are w:4, etc, unless of course you chose to go with more shoddy worksmanship...  :)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »

I prefer aspects.

I agree with this.  I was thinking specifically about swords, axes, knives, etc.  Not guns.  And the stunt could only be taken once and doesn't stack.  Resources or contacts roll would be required to get a Weapon 2 Knife or Weapon 3 One Handed Weapon. 

I would probably just not allow Weapon 4 two-handed weapons because I can't think of how a normal sword, no matter how well made, can have the damage output of explosives. 

The other stuff would be a refresh cost (the -1) and have to be attached to an IoP (so no Pure Mortal or just anyone running around with absurdly sharp swords).

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 05:07:20 AM »
Something else to keep in mind with swords being Weapon: 2 instead of Weapon: 3...  Weapon: 2 is for weapons which can be used one-handed.  If the sword is a two-handed sword (claymore and nodachi, etc) then that is a Weapon: 3.  Also, depending on how the GM wishes to rule it, a sword which can be used one or two-handed could be either.

Something small, like a gladius or smallsword would only be Weapon: 2, but a heftier sword like a clayberg, or perhaps a katana, could very well cross over into Weapon: 3 territory.  Something else to keep in mind, the Weapon ranking are really suggestions.
Look again at what is considered Weapon: 2
Swords, baseball bats,
batons, most pistols

Now, according to the quoted text, a baseball bat and a regular longsword are both equally dangerous.  Granted, either one can be used to injure/kill someone, a longsword of roughly the same size and weight as a baseball bat will have a cutting edge which the bat won't.  Dropping a bat onto your foot would likely hurt, and might break a toe or toes.  Dropping a longsword onto your foot, especially if it fell point or edge fit, could sever toes or possible cause loss of the foot itself.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5: