Author Topic: Con-quest Adventure report  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
Con-quest Adventure report
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:53 PM »
Characters and rational.
Adventure was designed around characters who knew nothing about the supernatural world to allow for players who knew nothing about the setting or the game system (as this was a con game)
Thus the characters were all 18-21 year old student types, partially generated up to their 1st story. Each character sheet had 2 extra copies of their first story in the plastic wallet, which they handed to 2 other players. Once every one had 2 other people ‘guest star’ strips they were asked to read it, work out how their character would have got involved with that story, come up with an aspect and 2 skills relevant to those events that were used to complete the character sheets. This allows the players to get a taste of character generations with out looking most of the slot.
8 characters were made available;
4 true mortals (A jock, a rich kid, a boy scout and trainee doctor)
and 4 who had supernatural potential that had not yet really fully expressed (A changeling who had not used any of his powers, a White court virgin, a focused practitioner with ritual and ‘Happy Clappy Christian’ with the power of god)

The plot line.
The players are all invited to the same private party being held in ‘The Raz’ a local student nightclub/ dive. [Due to twists given to the characters by the players this was changed in 2 case; one so that the PC was being employed behind the bar, and the other had been asked to come along and act as an onsite medic incase any of the quests over did it.]
Officially the party is to celebrate the 19th birthday of Clover Zander; the daughter of local VIP/entrepreneur (and incidentally head of the local White Court Vampires). Clover is currently a ‘virgin’ and this party is a chance for her to have a peruse of the ‘local talent’ to see if there is any one there she faces for her ‘first nibble’. She not totally naive as a White Court Virgin, and know that there is a high possibility that the ‘nibbled’ person is not going to see another dawn, so she is looking for some one who might be ‘interesting’ but not a major loss. She is guarded by Andy Wynn, a massive red headed ‘knight’ who is enthralled to Daddy.
She has approached a friendly ‘drug mage’ (G-Man) and his ‘handler’ (A changeling called Cassandra) to source a ‘tipple’ that will be used at the party. She has asked them to create a potion what will reveal the true nature of the people at her party (A little like the effect of looking at them with “The sight”) to make sure she doesn’t accidentally snack on some one important (Which could be embarrassing and make problems for Daddy).
Unfortunately G-Man decided that rather complete the order he would use a significant amount of the resources for the potion to get royally stoned and as a result has not made the potion. In desperation Cassandra has been pulling in favours and has managed to find a source of something that she hopes will do close to what Clover wanted. She arranges for one of her Mules, Lorna, to collect the potion and take it to the night club. Lorna has decided to try this out before she delivers it, and by the time she arrives at the club she is fully under the effects.

What the drug does:
Stage one (after a glass) – gifts a very limited version of “The Sight” in that it allows the consumer to see the ‘inner nature’ of those they look at. Amongst the PCs this came out as:
The jock appeared initially as a if he was dressed for a game of American football, but as the party progresses this turned into chain mail amour. The rich kid’s clothes tuned into very fashionable suits, and the trainee doctor became ‘House’. The Changeling ended up looking like Legolas, the happy clappy appeared in priestly robes and slowly became ‘pope’ and finally the focused practitioner appeared like the walt Disney witch, with pointy nose and warts.
Stage Two (After 2 pints) Any supernatural abilities the character has start to express uncontrollably.
Stage Three (After 3 pints) Any latent supernatural abilities the character express – Changelings are forced to chose. Mortals suffer epileptic fits and collapse.
Attempts to ‘analyse’ the drug using normal forensics states it is a strange combination of plant toxins and what looks like spider venom. Magical analysis shows it is a potion and will reveal its effects. 

Also at the party is a werewolf Duggy – initially he looks like Lon Chainey, and gets worse and more wolf like as the evening goes on. He really like the drink and with knock back a couple of pints of the stuff if left to.

Lorna arrives having already consumed 2 pints of the drink. She leaves it on the bar and the bar staff serve it out. She is clearly ‘off her head’ and complements people on their costumes before heading to the toilet. PCs who partake of the drink will start to feel the effects over the next 30 mins. Around the time the players start to suffer the effects, there will be a complaint that some one is monopolizing the toilet, and they will discover that Lorna has collapsed and seems to be having a fit.

In the middle of this distraction, Clover arrives. She is annoyed that people are not paying attention to her, and will use her abilities to make sure she is the focus – this is after all her party. The normal party goers will focus on her, leaving the PC’s to deal with Lorna, and Duggy who has just gone into full wolf man mode. Realising this is not good, Andy will command the rest of the party guests to leave, leaving the PCs to deal with the mess. His main role will be to protect Clover, but he will assist if the PCs are struggling bring the Werewolf down.
Annoyed at her party being ruined Clover will charge the PCs with the task of find out where the drug came from and what is going on.
With a bit of investigation they can trace through Cassandra back to Beeky, who lives in a flat over looking Sefton park. When they arrive at the flat they discover a typical student dive behind a door designed more as a bank vault (multiple locks – big metle plate – definitely something they do not what to try and kick down). The room is occupied by a thin man with long lanky hair and wearing ripped jeans and a faded T-Shirt of a band that no one can remember. This however is NOT Beeky. This is Beeky’s owner Hash. Beeky is in the old bed room.  The bedroom has black out curtains over the window and a large box like cover in the center.  Under the cover is a massive parrot cage and inside it is Beeky.
Beeky is a construct – part parrot, part bramble, and extremely vicious. He will bite whoever removes the cover. (No saving throw – he is THAT vicious and has had a lot of practice at just exactly where you need to hold the over to remove it .)
Once the cover is off the brambles will start to grow, they will positively explode if some one has removed the black out curtain. The bottom of the cage (and the thorns on the brambles) are covered in the red fluid which is the concentrated version of the drug.
Beeky will try to entangle the PCs and escape form his cage, however although he can regrow his tenti-brambles, he is very vulnerable to fire.
Hash will leg it as soon as Beeky is uncovered – he KNOWS how nasty it is.
However if the PCs can defeat Beeky then there will be no more drug.
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Con-quest Adventure report
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
So.. How did they do...

I have a theory that no adventure survives an encounter with the characters, but this one was even more of a derailing than most.

Firstly 4 of the PCs necked back the drug, only the focused practitioner and the rich kid refrained. The elf even went back for more, and so was bouncing around pulling of major acrobatic manoeuvres. Even "Happy Clappy" consumed enough to have an effect. (Or Captain Cassock as the players were calling him by then.)

Then Duggy ran away and had to be chased down the street.

Realising that people were starting to panic Cpt cassock used his performance to calm them down. As people started to pay attention to him instead of Clover she protested.
He turned to her with the line "Let me fill you with the LOVE of Christ."  and backed it up with  phenomenally good roll. (+8)
I then completely mashed her resolve check (-3)
Plus she is a White court and he used the L word...
So she drops to her knees before him and declares that he must teach her the wonders of this love.

So the rest of the party goers leave and Daddy turns up following a call from Andy. Which is the point where the players realise why I dropped my head in my hands when he said love as to their drugged eyes he looks like an alabaster statue in a really foul mood.
He demands they solve this mess or else. Pointing out that if "That thing there is going to be my son in law he had bloody well better prove himself worthy out it." clover is the dragged off protesting that she wants to stay with the man of her dreams.

The PCs split up - the 'witch' to track down the drug in her way, and the rest to interrogate Lorna at the hospital. They manage to meet up at the flat and the jock actually kicked down the unkickable door. Might of (+13! due to lots of tagged aspects and activated stunts) Effectively intimidating Hash in to telling them ANYTHING as long as they won't do the same damage to him.

They accidentally released beeky by hitting his cage to hard but used the cunning plan of encouraging it to wrap itself around the head of the jock and pinning it's tent-brambles to the floor with knives fro the kitchen. The elf then used his ranged weapon skills, a bottle of underarm deoderant and a lighter to finish him off (both Beeky and the jock who now has an interesting hair-do of scorched wings shaped scar tissue,
Hash admitted he had stolen Beeky form the palm house, the home of a Biomagician who has been playing with hybrids. But there was no time to deal with that on the day. Might turn up as a later con game.

Captain cassock discovered 15 missed calls on his phone from clover and arranged to meet her at the student union. I 'hoped' that the cold light of day and seeing him as he really is (complete with tank top and cord trousers) would snap her out of her 'infactuation'. I got the Player to make one last presence check to see if he was still 'the man of her dreams', of course he threw in ALL his remaining Fate....

So the daughter of the prince of the White court vampires is now a true mortal fully paid up member of the Christian union and is looking at going into a convent...
He is annoyed enough he may well let her and hope NO ONE ever asks about her again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:09:19 PM by Team8Mum »

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:50 AM »
I was reading the first post and wondering if you actually expected that highly specific sequence of events to actually happen.  Not just with your local gaming group, but with a group at a convention.

I then read the second post and couldn't stop giggling.  That game sounded awesome.  Defeating the monster by letting it eat your head takes a particular kind of genius.  :)   And the WCV/Mini-pope relationship?  You couldn't plan that if you tried!  It sounds like your improvisational skills got a workout but everyone had fun!

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:35:27 PM »
That's the way I run.

With the example above most of that is what they witness at the party and can get pulled into if they want to. At least with Dresden I know aspects the character have that I can compel to get them to go the way of the plot. Which is even easier in Con games when you write the characters (All of them had at least 2 aspects I could push to get them moving in the right direction.

It's like Jazz. I have a projected plot line that translates as an "If the Players give me NOTHING to work with - this is the story I will tell" The players then add the harmonies over the top of that. Rarely, as in this case, they throw in a whole new theme.

When I run shattered realities I have no idea what is going to happen beyond the basic hook when I sit at the table - as it is all character driven and people turn up with what ever characters they want to run. So it is a lot harder to plan a plot. One game at Dragonmeet a few years ago they threw the whole "tune" and the adventure went in a completely different direction and required a complete reset of the multiverse when they had finished it.
But then that's the joy of Con Games