Author Topic: Opinions on Feint Stunt?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Opinions on Feint Stunt?
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
I was reading through the book, and I thought this stunt could be interesting?  I am slightly concerned that its to strong, since you get 1/2 of a trapping, and a basic benefit but it seems extremely limited so, I could be wrong?

Coulé (Its basically a maneuver in Fencing)

Stunt:
You may use Deceit to place maneuvers on an enemy while using the Weaponry skill, & you receive an additional +1 to do so.  These aspects are usually, Unbalanced, or Disarmed?

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on Feint Stunt?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »
Nice idea. I've always maintained I'm probably a tad harsh on 'homemade' Stunts/Powers, for the sake of certain balance. Personally, I'd simply allow deceit to be used to place manoeuvres in place of the weapons skill. However I would also say that the target should defend with Alertness, Investigation (if actively looking for feints) or Empathy.

As such, a weapons expert would still be at a disadvantage against your manoeuvres, as the named skills are likely lower then their weapons skill.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Are Deceit-based midcombat maneouvres not allowed automatically?

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »

Yeah, I think the Distraction and Misdirection trapping already covers this.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:47 PM »

Oh, well I hadn't thought about that, then should the Stunt provide a +2 to your roll to perform a maneuver with weapons, or is that way to strong?  I am just looking for a way to get the fencing stunt bonus that isn't worthless when compared to Weapon Focus, (+1 when using a specific type of weapon.)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
As has been said, you can already place maneuvers with Deceit in combat, so the stunt should just give +2 (possibly when either using Weapons or Deceit for setting up maneuvers, or an identical stunt could be used with Weapons instead of Deceit).

Alternatively, I think it's important to remember that deceptive actions are just part of having a high Weapons skill.  You'll never meet a good fighter who telegraphs and can't feint (fencing, boxing, etc) at least somewhat well. 

I think Alertness, Empathy, or Weapons/Fists are all valid things to defend against the maneuver with.