Author Topic: GM Screen?  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
GM Screen?
« on: May 01, 2011, 05:04:09 AM »
Can we expect a GM screen for the game at some point ???
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: GM Screen?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »
Fred doesn't like them... so probably not.

I got my screen from hammerdog http://www.hammerdog.com/twgs/index.html

I love it.  It takes standard letter sized paper, so I have a list of all my characters' aspects on one of my inside panels. :)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »
Fred doesn't like them... so probably not.

I got my screen from hammerdog http://www.hammerdog.com/twgs/index.html

I love it.  It takes standard letter sized paper, so I have a list of all my characters' aspects on one of my inside panels. :)

May have to get me one of those.

Fred doesn't like screens? Fred! Come back from the darkness before it's too late!  :o
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »
Darkness?  I don't use screens either.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:51:06 AM »
Darkness?  I don't use screens either.

Yup, I agree.  Screens have no appeal to me other than a compiling of info in concise manner.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »
Yup, I agree.  Screens have no appeal to me other than a compiling of info in concise manner.

This is what I use it for.

I don't hide anything from my pcs other than plot.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »
Darkness?  I don't use screens either.

Yup, I agree.  Screens have no appeal to me other than a compiling of info in concise manner.

Yes the darkness! They are TRADITION you HEATHENS!  :P

But in seriousness, I love them for two things. Usually the art helps to some minor degree to set the mood for people new to your game, and far more importantly and consistently they provide information at a glance in a concise manner like you mentioned.

I like not having to page flip for info. Granted if I had a good e-reader with a decent pdf soft' (capable of bookmarking and annotating), I'd probably have less use for them. But, I can get a screen for a boatload less than an iPad  :-\

Been pondering the Savage Worlds customizable screen. I like landscape screens better.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:25:06 PM by Set Abominae »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »
I now use a combination of a GM screen and a notbook that I've printed all my locations and NPCs out in.

If I need an NPC's stats, I just open the notebook.  I have each NPC or enemy tabbed on the side for easy access.

I also usually game with a laptop, and I keep all of my info on my Obsidianportal.com game page.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
I now use a combination of a GM screen and a notbook that I've printed all my locations and NPCs out in.

If I need an NPC's stats, I just open the notebook.  I have each NPC or enemy tabbed on the side for easy access.

I also usually game with a laptop, and I keep all of my info on my Obsidianportal.com game page.

Yeah, don't have a laptop at the moment  :(

Pondering saving up for an iPad.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »
Yes the darkness! They are TRADITION you HEATHENS!  :P

But why would I want to shield the Players from what I've written down?  It rarely has anything to o with their current plot and is usually designed to throw anyone reading it off the track.   ;)

Okay, I'll admit for stupidly complex rpgs like D&D, Rifts, or [shudder] ChartRolemaster, I use a GM Screen.  But only for the charts.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
But why would I want to shield the Players from what I've written down?  It rarely has anything to o with their current plot and is usually designed to throw anyone reading it off the track.   ;)

Okay, I'll admit for stupidly complex rpgs like D&D, Rifts, or [shudder] ChartRolemaster, I use a GM Screen.  But only for the charts.

That was a joke you silly pixie. Keep this up and you won't get any pizza.  >:(

Rolemaster (shudder), that game should come with a complimentary self-aware AI to run it for you.

Rifts (shudder) Paladium (twitch) no thanks...I'm done wasting days on absurdly convoluted characters and trying to get them to mesh well...

D&D...well...each version has its place...but it's like this: "That's the old passage to Ravenholm. We don't go there anymore."

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
I personally don't use a screen for the DFRPG, but I've always appreciated them for other games that involved charts.

For my current DFRPG, I just have a single folder with attached notebook and the two-page cheatsheet from the back of the book for myself. That tends to cover what I need.

As for other games, if a GM screen didn't exist, or didn't match what I wanted, I would go ahead and make my own, each having a cost directly proportional to what I wanted to do.

For an old World of Darkness game I ran for a college club, I printed out typed up versions of the charts and glued them to a piece of poster board that I had folded to act like a GM screen. I then glued a variety of artwork to the other side to add some color and theme.
For that game in particular, I needed two tri-folded sheets, which basically summed up to one board cut in half, folded, and a bunch of charts glued on. Not including printing, this project set me back by a night and about $8 (needed scissors, tape, and glue as I had none of the above), but was only really viable for that particular game system and how I was running it.

A better option was a reusable screen I found from the forums. I took two three-ring binders, some clips, and transparent folder inserts. I clipped the two "screens" together by the ends, loaded the inserts with whatever information was relevant to the game (similar tactic to the above: printouts of the needed charts, story arc notes, etc), and filled the outer-sections with images relating to the game. This set-up cost a bit more, but proved to be useful for the three different game systems I ran with it.

I'd suggest looking at either of these options and just loading it up with whatever in-game notes or house rules you need, your player's Aspects and powers, and whatever shortcuts you need. Otherwise, just put them on paper (or index cards) and go from there.

Hopefully that was at least somewhat useful.

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
I personally don't use a screen for the DFRPG, but I've always appreciated them for other games that involved charts.

For my current DFRPG, I just have a single folder with attached notebook and the two-page cheatsheet from the back of the book for myself. That tends to cover what I need.

As for other games, if a GM screen didn't exist, or didn't match what I wanted, I would go ahead and make my own, each having a cost directly proportional to what I wanted to do.

For an old World of Darkness game I ran for a college club, I printed out typed up versions of the charts and glued them to a piece of poster board that I had folded to act like a GM screen. I then glued a variety of artwork to the other side to add some color and theme.
For that game in particular, I needed two tri-folded sheets, which basically summed up to one board cut in half, folded, and a bunch of charts glued on. Not including printing, this project set me back by a night and about $8 (needed scissors, tape, and glue as I had none of the above), but was only really viable for that particular game system and how I was running it.

A better option was a reusable screen I found from the forums. I took two three-ring binders, some clips, and transparent folder inserts. I clipped the two "screens" together by the ends, loaded the inserts with whatever information was relevant to the game (similar tactic to the above: printouts of the needed charts, story arc notes, etc), and filled the outer-sections with images relating to the game. This set-up cost a bit more, but proved to be useful for the three different game systems I ran with it.

I'd suggest looking at either of these options and just loading it up with whatever in-game notes or house rules you need, your player's Aspects and powers, and whatever shortcuts you need. Otherwise, just put them on paper (or index cards) and go from there.

Hopefully that was at least somewhat useful.

--Crion

Yup, I've done my share of scratch built screens, but now I'm older and lazier  :-[

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 09:47:06 PM »
Rolemaster (shudder), that game should come with a complimentary self-aware AI to run it for you.

The best Rolemaster game I was ever in was run by a GM who had a program on his laptop that made all the rolls and tracked all the character's stats.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 10:41:29 PM »
The best Rolemaster game I was ever in was run by a GM who had a program on his laptop that made all the rolls and tracked all the character's stats.

I'm half surprised that didn't divide by zero and invoke SkyNet.