Author Topic: Marked By Power and Incite Emotion  (Read 2259 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Marked By Power and Incite Emotion
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »
I was wondering if people thought the bonus from marked by power should count for Incite Emotion, I was thinking for situations when you were inciting fear a particular terrifying patron probably should provide a bonus but was less certain about lust etc. 
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Marked By Power and Incite Emotion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »
I could see certain powers granting: marked by power; helping to incite certain emotions, sure.

I also think that Marked by Power costing 1 refresh is a bad idea, it simply doesn't do enough.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:46:54 AM »
+1 to all social skill rolls is certainly WELL beyond the power of any stunt.  Hell, it's beyond the power of a dozen stunts.  It seems to be reasonably costed to me.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:58:41 AM »
+1 to all social skill rolls is certainly WELL beyond the power of any stunt.  Hell, it's beyond the power of a dozen stunts.  It seems to be reasonably costed to me.

Well you can get a plus 2 to a skill in a specific situation for example when people are in the know for a stunt but as all social skills include contacts, empathy, deceit and intimidation we are still dealing with marked by power being twice as cheap as a stunt. So I agree with you on that, though I was more questioning whether incite emotions which is run off social skills get a boost by a boost to social skills and I am leaning towards a yes.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:51:43 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 04:43:31 AM »
Well you can get a plus 2 to a skill in a specific situation for example when people are in the know for a stunt but as all social skills include contacts, empathy, deceit

And Performance (in at least one trapping), and Presence (try to argue that the skill of 'social toughness', leadership, and reputation, and charisma isn't a social skill...).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 04:49:03 AM »
I forgot about presence and rapport.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:54:54 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 05:29:22 AM »
I probably wouldn't allow it. Incite Emotion is pretty nasty as-is.

But I could probably be persuaded by a persistant player.

Marked By Power gives a very nice bonus. I wouldn't allow it on a stunt unless the situation in which it can be used is both rather specific and reasonable in context.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:41:52 AM »
The main reason I re-thought the question was because of the fact that in night fears the spirit form power variable form grants a +2 to social rolls which is worded in a very similar way to marked by power. I was thinking if the Variable Form power could help incite emotion (changing your form to be physical more intimidating/ believable etc for a +2) then Marked by Power probably also should be able too aide incite emotion. I don't think this is broken when you consider for 1 refresh you can get the stunts infuriate and sex appeal which offer a +2 their respective incited emotion.    
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:44:59 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:47:40 AM »
Probably wouldn't allow the stunts to affect it, either. Although the RAW might disagree with me.

Incite Emotion is an attack trapping. It's at least as deadly as a sword. It ought to suffer the same restrictions.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »
Infuriate: Scaring people isn’t your forte; seriously
pissing them off, on the other hand, is right
up your alley. Gain +2 to any roll when deliberately
trying to get someone angry with you (a
social or mental attack or a maneuver with such
a goal). Any consequences (such as grudges) or
temporary aspects that result must name you as
the source and target of the anger.

Though I re-read Sex Appeal and that wouldn't help because it is off rapport.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
+1 to all social skill rolls is certainly WELL beyond the power of any stunt.  Hell, it's beyond the power of a dozen stunts.  It seems to be reasonably costed to me.

They have to recognize and respect the mark for it to work.  Seems to easy for the GM or player it is being used against to simply say they aren't impressed.  Shouldn't happen, but that loophole leaves lots of room for interpretation.

Since there is that loophole, I see no reason not to allow the +1 to the roll.  Marked by Mab could be useful in inciting fear in many related to the Fae courts.  Denarians not so much.  Though marked by Almighty...may well work in reverse to that situation.  It gives Marked by Power a little more teeth in the circumstances it comes in handy, but still isn't as useful as tagging an aspect for +2.  Is it a little Munchkintastic and sneaky? Sure, but cleverness should be rewarded.  Seems to me the point of trying to manuever, tag aspects, make declarations, and spending fate points is all "jockeying for position" and tipping scales in one's own favor.  The system, for lack of better terms, rewards BSing your way into bonuses to conquer the foe.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
Yep, seems like the RAW disagree.

If a player really wants to make a character with Incite Rage and Infuriate, he can probably talk me into allowing it.

But from my point of view, Incite Emotion w/all canon upgrades + Superb Deceit/Intimidation is about as deadly as Supernatural Strength + Superb Weapons/Fists. It doesn't really need a boost.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »
add in a few homebrew intimidation stunts and demonic co pilot...and taga few aspects...almost as good as a spell caster.

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 01:06:47 AM »
Yep, seems like the RAW disagree.

If a player really wants to make a character with Incite Rage and Infuriate, he can probably talk me into allowing it.

But from my point of view, Incite Emotion w/all canon upgrades + Superb Deceit/Intimidation is about as deadly as Supernatural Strength + Superb Weapons/Fists. It doesn't really need a boost.

This is especially true because there are no mental toughness/recovery powers.