Author Topic: Wyld Magic and more - My take on Magic Sponsored by the Erlking  (Read 8953 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Wyld Magic and more - My take on Magic Sponsored by the Erlking
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
Ah, I see. I misunderstood.

Why not just use Ritual for the minor abilities?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 04:55:19 AM »
I would be inclined to make the catch that the Toughness powers only work against their prey (+2 for only working for limited circumstances, +2 for being very common, +1 for being researched but would require access to wizard's library or the like).  It means that you can be a tough and formidable opponent, but only towards your prey.

For instance, you could have Supernatural Toughness and and Recovery (-4 each, but the catch would give you +5) for -3 refresh.  Powerful but more limited than the Summer and Winter Knight's powers.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 06:13:23 AM »
Ah, I see. I misunderstood.

Why not just use Ritual for the minor abilities?

Ritual wouldn't allow for mobile veils, for example. Or tracking at, for lack of a better word, "evocation speed".
But it's really a matter of personal preference in the end.

Regarding the Catch, here's my take:

Weapons fashioned from parts of Creatures personally hunted and killed by the wielder.
(Everyone can hunt and kill something. +2; It requires very specific knowledge to find out that's what the catch is +0)

Basically you need to prove yourself a hunter to face the Champion of the Great Hunter.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
With that take, could a RCV (for grisly example) drain someone dry then club you to death with their thigh bone? Does that count as "a creature hunted"?
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
I'd say it would. Finding and killing prey is archetypal predator behaviour, after all, and the Erlking's as much about predation as he is human hunters.

Wild Hunt. The name says it all.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »
With that take, could a RCV (for grisly example) drain someone dry then club you to death with their thigh bone? Does that count as "a creature hunted"?

It wasn't the first thing that came to mind when i chose that catch... but yeah, i guess it does.  :)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »

That would be both metal and brutal.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
Personally, I don't think that the Knights were designed to fight the other court.  My view is that they were designed to fight and interact with mortals.  To do things with (and to) mortals that queens just can't.

Richard

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 02:39:41 AM »
Personally, I don't think that the Knights were designed to fight the other court.  My view is that they were designed to fight and interact with mortals.  To do things with (and to) mortals that queens just can't.

Richard

Agreed, but the Knights shouldn't be vulnerable to iron.  A: they are mortal.  B: They can interact with mortals better if they aren't.  They are vulnerable to the other court because it is the anthesis of what is powering them.

In the case of the Wyld Knight, I would say that they are only protected when actively hunting (thus my proposed catch), although the Catch basically saying that they are vulnerable to other hunters is also pretty good (I'm just not a fan of the flavor of it).

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
Agreed, but the Knights shouldn't be vulnerable to iron.  A: they are mortal. 
And with it as a catch, they die if you stick three feet of metal through their guts!

... Oh wait.

;)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
And with it as a catch, they die if you stick three feet of metal through their guts!

... Oh wait.

;)

A Sidhe will probably die if you stick 3' of aluminum through their guts.  It doesn't mean that aluminum serves as a catch, though.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
A Sidhe will probably die if you stick 3' of aluminum through their guts.  It doesn't mean that aluminum serves as a catch, though.
My point. A Knight is no more vulnerable to iron than any other mortal if he has it as a catch. He's just less invulnerable.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 04:13:56 PM »
I'm of the opinion the way the courts seem to work, it would be far easier to simply create a fourth court (Spring) to act as antithesis to Autumn.

Maybe have Spring/Autumn being lesser courts, maybe with patriarchs instead of matriarchs.

Thus making their catch trappings of Spring.

Otherwise, I've little to add to the conversation.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
I don't like that, personally. I don't see the Erlking as Autumn. He's the hunter. Nothing more, nothing less. he has no opponents but his prey, and they can't harm him...

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 11:39:04 PM »
I don't like that, personally. I don't see the Erlking as Autumn. He's the hunter. Nothing more, nothing less. he has no opponents but his prey, and they can't harm him...

Just my opinion.  I like the smaller lesser court idea.  That you and many don't is awesome, we'll likely never game together.  If we do, you'll have to deal with it then, for now.  I accept your position. 

I will say that him beign a hunter and nothing more/nothing less makes him a little one sided, too black and white and in turn...boring.

As for his prey not being able to hurt him....  I call Bull$h1t.  Per system, theres a few things that can hurt anything.

#1 any item or creature with the power: all are equal under god.
#2 soulfire
#3 any other plot device power or supernatural heavyweight 
#4 any PC with a comparable refresh toa supernatural heavyweight, after all teh Dresden Files is all about exceptions and rarities or the novels would be boring.  There is no reason the main characters of a chronicle should be any different.