Author Topic: Wyld Magic and more - My take on Magic Sponsored by the Erlking  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
I've been toying with the Goblin-Knight Concept, and have created a few things to use with it.
So i'd like to present those here to get some feedback.

First: Sponsored Magic

Wyld Magic
Drawing on the power of the Wyld Court of the Erlking, you're able to cast spells that fit its essential nature: wildness, hunting, balefire, predation. These magics are under the sway and watch of the Erlking; making use of it will inevitably catch his notice. The Wyldfae are not as fixed in their ways as Winter or Summer are, the Erlkings agenda can change quickly, but he is usually neutral, and very instinctual. He is not about cruelty, but showing weakness is an invitation for him to pursue a target.

Cost: 4 Refresh for the package. And you need approval from the Erlking. Reduce this cost by 1 if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy; reduce the cost by 2 if you have both.

Benefits: Standard Sponsored Magic benefits (YS:288). Instead of being effective against a certain type of Creature, like Seelie or Unseelie Magic, Wyld-Magic is particular effective when used to hunt. It provides a bonus of +1 to the power or complexity threshold of any spell used for that purpose. These boni stack with possible specialization boni for Evocation or Thaumaturgy.
In Addition, in a hunting context, Wyld-Magic may be used to perform Divination and Summoning spells at evocation speeds and methods.

Second: The Spear of the Wild Hunt, an Item of power wielded by the Goblin knight

Spear of the Wylde Hunt
It is what it is: A long-bladed, well balanced, medium length hunting spear (Weapon:3, Melee&Thrown). Unbreakable. When wielded by the Mortal Champion of the Erlking it grants the following abilities.
+2   IoP  Bonus
-1   Imbued with Balefire: If the Wielder so chooses, the Power of Belefire may be channeled through the spear, covering it in bright green flames and increaseing  it's Weapon rating by +2, possibly overcoming catches that may be satisfied by “magical fire”.
-1   True Aim: When used in a manner appealing to the Erlking, all rolls to wield the “Spear of the Wylde Hunt” recieve a +1 bonus.
-1   Never Far from Reach: After using the Spear as a thrown Weapon, the rightful owner can recall it to his hands as a supplemental action. This only works if the Weapon is thrown. If it is taken from the bearer and/or intentionally kept from him, this ability does not work.

Total Cost -1

Third: Minor Abilities

-1  Mystical Tracker
Upon getting the metaphysical “scent” of a target you can attempt to track it wherever it goes, using Investigation or Survival.
Basically this allows you to do an equivalent to tracking spells that only works on lifeforms. You need a "scent" which means either a symbolic link, or personal knowledge of the targets aura. Reading targets auras for the purpose of tracking and getting scents, and only for those purposes, is part of this ability.
-1  Relentless Hunter: You are extremely hard to shake off. Add +2 to your rolls to track.

-1   Cloak of the Hunter
This is simply the Minor Veils part of Glamours
Veil with Discipline or Deceit. Only self, things that belong to you, or those that have a pact with you.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Wyld Magic and more - My take on Magic Sponsored by the Erlking
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:12:10 PM »
Minor note: It's "bonuses."

Mystical Tracker seems superfluous.  I'd simply say that Sponsored Magic gives you the ability to do tracking with evocation's methods and speed...which you already did.  To give this combat utility, I'd make it able to pierce veils (which I suppose it is, but I'd mention that you could use it for that, it'd being a block against taking the block).

The Erlking doesn't seem terribly subtle, so I'd probably eschew "Cloak of the Hunters."  Old school hunting had less to do with stealth than scaring up a target and chasing it.

Spear of the Wyld Hunt is nice.  I like it.

If he were to designate a mortal a knight, what would you make a catch for any toughness powers?  That one always threw me.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:15:29 AM »
The Erlking doesn't seem terribly subtle, so I'd probably eschew "Cloak of the Hunters."  Old school hunting had less to do with stealth than scaring up a target and chasing it.

Well I disagree because the power is part of his court, and stealth is a part of hunting, because you need to get close to your prey the spook them, that way they can't escape.  Also if you read through
(click to show/hide)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:57:05 AM »
Well I disagree because the power is part of his court, and stealth is a part of hunting, because you need to get close to your prey the spook them, that way they can't escape.  Also if you read through
(click to show/hide)

Yes, stealth is part of hunting.  However, it wasn't really part of hunting in Medieval times (or at least not for nobility). 

Also, couldn't that stealth be modeled by giving them high stealth rather than a magic ability? 

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:40:36 AM »
Mystical Tracker seems superfluous.  I'd simply say that Sponsored Magic gives you the ability to do tracking with evocation's methods and speed...which you already did.  To give this combat utility, I'd make it able to pierce veils (which I suppose it is, but I'd mention that you could use it for that, it'd being a block against taking the block).

The Minor Abilities are meant for lower refresh builds, where full sponsored magic would be to expensive. If you have sponsored Wyld Magic, you can easily skip them.

Mystical Tracker was not supposed to be a combat skill. But since it's basically a supernatural sense with a tracking ability, you could add piercing veils. I'm not sure if -1 refresh is expensive enough in that case though.

Cloak of the hunter:
The Erlking is not based in Medieval times. The Roots go far deeper. And i don't think he's limited to one style of hunting.
Sure, you could go with high Stealth, but I like the idea of magical veils for the Goblin-Knight. That's why i went with the extra ability.

Spear of the Wyld Hunt is nice.  I like it.
thanks

If he were to designate a mortal a knight, what would you make a catch for any toughness powers?  That one always threw me.
Yeah, i haven't figured this one out yet either.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:44:42 AM »
Cloak of the hunter:
The Erlking is not based in Medieval times. The Roots go far deeper. And i don't think he's limited to one style of hunting.
Sure, you could go with high Stealth, but I like the idea of magical veils for the Goblin-Knight. That's why i went with the extra ability.
I'd have gone simply with a reskinned Cloak of Shadows, with a boost to Stealth.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »
I'd have gone simply with a reskinned Cloak of Shadows, with a boost to Stealth.
That could work too.
But I wanted the ability to actually turn invisible, so the Minor Veils seemed to fit the bill just fine.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
Personally, I'd say hiding in the shade of a tree or whatever's more Erlking style than actually going invisible.

Anyway, looks good! I was gonna say something about the "power or complexity" bit in Wyld Magic, but that's the same as Hellfire, so fair enough...

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »
A question was asked, and not answered -- the 'catch' for the "Goblin Knight?"

What about plain old "IRON" -- it would seem to me that the Wyld Court is very Fae, meaning the Fae in extreme.  If I were running the game I'd use Iron as the 'catch' - it seems very appropriate - as it is very foreign in the woods.  Not sure, but it seems to fit.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
Hrm. Iron definitely works, as he's Faepowered- I'm just wondering if anything else should be in there. On the other hand, Goblins only have "cold iron and the like," so we can probably stop there.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »
A question was asked, and not answered -- the 'catch' for the "Goblin Knight?"

What about plain old "IRON" -- it would seem to me that the Wyld Court is very Fae, meaning the Fae in extreme.  If I were running the game I'd use Iron as the 'catch' - it seems very appropriate - as it is very foreign in the woods.  Not sure, but it seems to fit.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Hrm. Iron definitely works, as he's Faepowered- I'm just wondering if anything else should be in there. On the other hand, Goblins only have "cold iron and the like," so we can probably stop there.

My problem with IRON is the fact that the other Fae knights don't have Iron in their catches at all.
Somehow i think that the knight should be able to withstand the main weakness of the Fae. Seems to me that would be one major reason, among others, to have knights in the first place.

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »
Why?

Why does the Knight need to be resistant to iron?  Would you have your knight out picking up iron out of the never never?  I don't see a reason why that couldn't be a catch.  In fact, with the Wlyd court - I think it's very appropriate.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »
Why?

Why does the Knight need to be resistant to iron?  Would you have your knight out picking up iron out of the never never?  I don't see a reason why that couldn't be a catch.  In fact, with the Wlyd court - I think it's very appropriate.

Why?... It's simply my personal opinion.
Of course it could be a catch, I simply said that i don't like it for a Knight. Knights are a tool the Fae use to circumvent certain restrictions. I think weakness to iron is one of those restrictions.

I think it's no more or less appropriate for the Wild Court, than it is for the Summer or Winter Court. And since their knights don't have Iron as their catch, i'd like one that omits iron for the Goblin-Knight as well.

But it's really up to whoever builds the character. I'd like a less common catch than iron, if you like iron... go with it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »
Sponsored Magic and IoP look good.

However, I do not see the point of the minor abilities. Sponsored Magic covers Cloak Of The Hunter and most of Mystical Tracker.

Cloak Of Shadows might be a good idea if you must have a -1 refresh stealth power. Replacing shadows with wilderness areas.

Relentless Hunter looks like a stunt to me.

You could also handle Mystical Tracker as a Supernatural Sense.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 05:59:37 AM »
Sponsored Magic and IoP look good.

However, I do not see the point of the minor abilities. Sponsored Magic covers Cloak Of The Hunter and most of Mystical Tracker.
Like i said, the minor abilities are for builds without Full Sponsored Magic. In any Build that has Wyld Magic, i would not bother with them.

Relentless Hunter looks like a stunt to me.
It's meant to be an addon to mystical tracker. I guess that wasn't clear from how i wrote it down.

You could also handle Mystical Tracker as a Supernatural Sense.
Rules wise that is basically what it is. I just reflavored it a bit to fit the magical theme i wanted.