Author Topic: Craft Specialization interaction with Potions  (Read 2264 times)

Offline c1150

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Craft Specialization interaction with Potions
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »
I did a quick search and didn't see an answer so I thought I'd ask:

How does the Craft specialization: Frequency interact with potion crafting?

Do you basically get two for one? Does it have no effect?

I can see it having no effect, but I also hate to tell some one a choice they made doesn't have the effect they hoped.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Roxy Rocket

Re: Craft Specialization interaction with Potions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:07:51 AM »
Potions are like normal enchanted items except you can't use an extra enchanted item slot to increase the frequency/uses per session of your potions.

Any crafting specializations or crafting focus bonuses to frequency apply to the potion as normal: So yes, every bonus gets you another use from that potion.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:16:49 AM »
In in-game terms, you don't have to drink the whole potion to get the full effect.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline c1150

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:20:38 AM »
Thanks to you both for your input. I appreciate it.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:44:37 AM »
Potions are like normal enchanted items except you can't use an extra enchanted item slot to increase the frequency/uses per session of your potions.
^This is wrong.
You can allocate extra slots just like any other enchanted item. YS:280

Any crafting specializations or crafting focus bonuses to frequency apply to the potion as normal: So yes, every bonus gets you another use from that potion.
^This is correct.

Crafting strength increases base power of potions, crafting frequencey increases base uses.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »
In in-game terms, you don't have to drink the whole potion to get the full effect.
Or that you can stretch your ingredients and brew more than one potion at a time (so your carrying a few different bottle of the same stuff).

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
Or that you can stretch your ingredients and brew more than one potion at a time (so your carrying a few different bottle of the same stuff).

The quantity of the ingredients isn't the limiting or extending factor, I don't think, in the dosage count of a potion batch, so much as how much magical 'juice' you can pump into it, and then have stick around.  Otherwise you could just use less of the ingredients and brew a second, different potion.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
The quantity of the ingredients isn't the limiting or extending factor, I don't think, in the dosage count of a potion batch, so much as how much magical 'juice' you can pump into it, and then have stick around.  Otherwise you could just use less of the ingredients and brew a second, different potion.
However you rationalize it, rules wise it means that you get more than one use out of one potion slot.
If you describe it as better materials, pure skill, or more magical juice pumped into the potion really doesn't matter.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:24:09 AM »
Side note:  There's some diminishing returns with having a high frequency on potions.  The combat advantage of a potion is not having to declare it beforehand and using the FP or lore roll (which you're likely to make, given that you need high lore anyways for crafting) to declare the potion on the spot.

That said, once the potion is declared, you're stuck with it for that session. So suddenly having 5 uses of "truth serum" (raises your empathy levels to new heights so you can tell when people lie) with you for that session may not be advantageous, as you're probably only going to need it the one time.

So an alchemist relying mainly on potions may be better off buying the refinement for extra slots, vs extra uses.

However, if you did have 5 uses, potions can be used by other people, so now one slot could potentially cover everyone in the group.

If you've got other enchanted items, and then a couple of potion slots, then the frequency boost for your items is great, and when you declare the potion just try to think of something that could be handy multiple times, or for more than one character.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »
If you've got other enchanted items, and then a couple of potion slots, then the frequency boost for your items is great, and when you declare the potion just try to think of something that could be handy multiple times, or for more than one character.
One word:  Grenades.  Mystical ones.