Author Topic: Focus or Enchanted Item ?  (Read 1956 times)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Focus or Enchanted Item ?
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »
In the game I have been playing in (and now bowed out of, I turned my PC into an NPC) I discovered that I had a family heirloom that helped with defensive magic vs. outsiders.  It was used once in the climax of the adventure.  That is a prety narrow use item, so I was wondering if it should be a focus item or and enchanted item. 

My first thought was to base it on Madge's ring in the focus items section of the book.  But if it does not come up as much story wise would it be better to design it as an enchanted item with a fixed number of uses a session? 

Any ideas?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Focus or Enchanted Item ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
What is the NPC? Wizard? or something else?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:05:57 PM »
Sorry.  Wizard appentice, at the time, now as an NPC - a full wizard.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »
We have a Wizard apprentice in my game who has a Winter Court artifact, and an Aspect related to it. However, since Refresh is such a premium for spellcasters, we built it as an Enchanted Item (using his normal focus item slots) instead of an Item of Power. It is rules-legal, but plot-sketchy, thematically, because it is (plotwise) not something he "built." That said, if it is ever taken away, it would "free" those focus item slots.

So, at the end of the day, your Wizard *could* be using those Focus Item slots for other Enchanted Items, so for simple balance purposes, it would seem alright to me to make this family heirloom an Enchanted Item. Plus, it is limited in its per-day uses, but if necessary, the caster can spend a Mental Stress point to give an additional use. It is also the cheapest way to do it. Plus, the Warden swords act the exact same way (someone else built it, but for game balance reasons, it is taken as an Enchanted item instead of an Item of Power). Which would make it technically breakable.

But the "pure" plot solution would be for it to be an Item of Power. Which also means the item is not breakable. And since this is an NPC already, spending the Refresh is not necessarily a problem.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:16:35 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
I would just set it up the way you want it and then don't worry about whether it's an enchanted item or a focus item. If it comes in to play, great, if not then it was never an issue to begin with. Bad guys cheat, your NPC can have as many of either items as he wants.

Roxy Rocket

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »
Bad guys cheat, your NPC can have as many of either items as he wants.

The last time my character became an NPC they could play the piano and starred in a crazy musical where ape ruled man. Really though, they don't even follow the pyramids for skills and focuses. Never trust NPC sheets.

Also don't trust your GM. It might be a trick to make you say 'outsider' in game and get you beheaded.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
Thanks Guys.

I think I will go with an enchanted item. 

As a player character he had this family heirloom but did not know what it did and at the big finalle in my last session with the group the GM revealed its power as we were fighting the Big Bad Guy who was an outsider.  I retired my character as a PC because I could no longer play with the group because of time restrictions, but I want to maybe use him as an NPC in a game I hope to run in the future.

This helps me decide what direction to take him.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »
We have a Wizard apprentice in my game who has a Winter Court artifact, and an Aspect related to it. However, since Refresh is such a premium for spellcasters, we built it as an Enchanted Item (using his normal focus item slots) instead of an Item of Power. It is rules-legal, but plot-sketchy, thematically, because it is (plotwise) not something he "built." That said, if it is ever taken away, it would "free" those focus item slots.

Canonically, there was only one Wizard out there knocking out all the Warden's Swords. I think (disclaimer: it is Monday morning, I'm exhausted and I don't have my books) those were put on most of the NPC sheets in the way you listed here.
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
They were, and they're in the Suggested Enchanted Items bit, too.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
Hooray for semi-reliable memory then!
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.