Author Topic: Advice on a Good Mythological Creatures Book  (Read 2042 times)

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
Advice on a Good Mythological Creatures Book
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good Mythological Creatures encyclopedia? My book series has a lot do to with creatures and folklore of every nationality and I'm trying to find a book that encompasses them all. I found one on amazon.com: The Mythical Creatures Bible: The Definitive Guide to Legendary Beings by Brenda Rosen but it's only available from sellers and out of print at Barnes n Noble. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Offline Phid

• Posty McPostington
  • well... i will give anyone a hug...
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on a Good Mythological Creatures Book
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
try the element encylapedia of magical creatures. it has a very wide selection.
DV<Phid> V1.2 Yr4  Fr(.5) BK++ RP-  JB TH +++ WG CL++ !SW—BC++ MC+ SH[Mavra+, Molly++]

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:18:25 AM »
that's what I was going to suggest, its huge and has some really obscure critters in it, and it gives some great general history on them all. For more detailed info you can use the enterwebs.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »
Yep, I also use the same book as Phid and Nick...  I haven't found anything else in book format or online to match it.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:49:24 AM »
Outstanding thanks a bunch!  :) ;) :D ;D

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
I have one but I don't remember the name...

I would also recommend also grabbing Angels A to Z by James R. Lewis. Its got a list of Angels from Christianity, Islam, Hinduism even Zoroastrianism. Its worth checking out if nothing else.

Offline black_hawk_sam

• Participant
  • I wanna write stories
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »
you could just look up mythology online... stay away from the .com URL's when possible... they aren't regulated the same way as other sites.

use multiple sites to augment your research as well as any good books you can find. I suggest this because, like words in any language, the names of mythological beings are subject to having multiple different meanings... depending on where you look, a siren could be multiple different beasts. I don't know, it has helped me in the past.