Author Topic: Inciting Positive Emotions  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Inciting Positive Emotions
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:46:29 AM »
Disclaimer: I used the search function before creating this thread.  I was however tired, apologies if a thread or post addresses this issue already.

As far as I know, rules do not exist for inciting positive emotions.  I would assume they generally should not cause damage persay, though I could see overloading ones sytem with pleasure... though I'm not certain it applies to "positive" emotions at that point.

I suppose one could place manuevers with it. "Bolstered Courage" etc.  How else might such a power work system wise? 

I'm certain a use of this power would not invoke True emotions (True Courage, Love, Hope, etc.)

@ Sanctaphrax: Your entry on angels (archangels perhaps?) has them Inciting: Joy.  How did you envision this effecting play?

I ask because I hope to simulate an effect similar to Cavaliers from 2nd Edition D&D. (radiate courage 10ft as per the Emotion spell...I know there is no way in this system to constantly radiate a power.  I simply wondered how to reproduce a similar effect) Where said character could bolster his allies courage.

I assume the power would look something like: Incite Emotion (courage) - 1, in bursts?(zone) -1

Seeking advice and opinions.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Inciting Positive Emotions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 05:49:10 AM »
I would probably stat it as Incite Emotion: Courage (-1), with At Range (-1) and Zone-Wide (-1) upgrades. 

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:52:08 AM »
Ah yeah.

I knew I was tired.  That does indeed require range, not just touch range.  Thanks.

Still wondering how useful it will be.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:08:29 AM »
I feel that there can be some latitude in what is Incited by the power. The stipulation that the emotions it inspires are not True Love/Courage/etc. (YS 172) is probably meant to keep the ability from being used to satisfy WCV catches, so I think we can set that aside for now.

Placing positive Aspects which the recipient can tag for free could be very useful. You could also opt to create a beneficial Block (against Social attacks or other nastiness) instead of the baleful block suggested in YS 173.

The requirement that Intimidation/Deceit be the motive skills is a potential roadblock: a generous GM may opt to substitute a more beneficial skill. Then again, it is easier to do harm than it is to do good, so a GM could equally insist such a character buy a stunt to use Empathy/Performance/Presence/etc. to inspire such positive emotions.

Edit: is there anything keeping a victim of a (baleful) Incite Emotion from free-tagging that Aspect? The primary WCV goal is to place the emotion Aspect to allow Feeding, but how plausible is it that the victim turns that around somehow?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:12:07 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:30:09 AM »
IEdit: is there anything keeping a victim of a (baleful) Incite Emotion from free-tagging that Aspect? The primary WCV goal is to place the emotion Aspect to allow Feeding, but how plausible is it that the victim turns that around somehow?
I do not see why the victim cannot make use of that Aspect for his own ends.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »
Since the person with the incite emotions power is the one who used an action to create the aspect, they get the tag (as normal).  But yes, nothing is stopping them from passing the tag off to someone else.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
Since the person with the incite emotions power is the one who used an action to create the aspect, they get the tag (as normal).  But yes, nothing is stopping them from passing the tag off to someone else.

Even their victim, as seen with Lara and Harry in their impromptu humanoid-cannonball routine.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »
Edit: is there anything keeping a victim of a (baleful) Incite Emotion from free-tagging that Aspect? The primary WCV goal is to place the emotion Aspect to allow Feeding, but how plausible is it that the victim turns that around somehow?

Only the person creating or discovering an aspect, or people they give permission to, may use the free tag. But an aspect is an aspect. Anyone may spend fate to use any aspect they are aware of.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
The Seraphim has Incite Emotion because I read something somewhere about an angel making you so happy that it kills you. I thought that that was a great image and I wanted to put it to use.

The effect on games should probably just be to give a plot-device level being yet another way to kill stuff in a suitably angelic way.

I gave my Paladin build on that same thread a stunt that lets him radiate courage. I admit, it's kinda power-like. But I think it works.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
I was playing an Angel in a LARP and we had the power to share a vision of ultimate Bliss with somebody by touch. Not enough to kill, but enough to incapacitate, and he definitely made a new friend/enemy the one time he had to use it. ::awkward::
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
Great answers.  I think it helped me quite a bit in designing how I want that to work now.