Author Topic: power Ex  (Read 4498 times)

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
power Ex
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »
this is a topic were you post examples of powers that allow you to pick and choose like creature for echoes of the beast, supernatural senses, sponsored magic and other powers
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: power Ex
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »
this is a topic were you post examples of powers that allow you to pick and choose like creature for echoes of the beast, supernatural senses, sponsored magic and other powers

Could you please reword the question?
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:29 AM »
I think he is asking for concrete examples of powers that aren't too well defined.

For example, what are some examples of the beast trappings you can get from the echoes of the beast power?  Or, what sort of stuff have people done with supernatural sense?

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
yep thats exactly what i mean like uuhhh supernatural senses. i can magically smell the fear of my enemies or i can see if someone is loyal to me or someone else
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
First, Echoes Of The Beast beast trappings. Not all of the below follow the guidelines in the book exactly, and some may not be balanced.

Viper: The ability to see heat.
Python: +1 to initiate grapples.
Wolf 1: +1 to track.
Wolf 2: +1 to attack when working together with someone else who has this power.
Wolf 3: Track by smell.
Housecat: The ability to squeeze through spaces narrower than your head.
Spider 1: Create webs with Craftsmanship.
Spider 2: +1 to Stealth while not moving.
Outsider: Maneuver with Conviction to mess up reality.
Shark 1: Smell blood at any distance.
Shark 2: Electromagnetic field sense.
Turtle: Armour 1 against edged weapons.
Bat: Echolocation.
Bear: +1 to Intimidation when larger than target.
Horse: +1 to Athletics for sprinting.
Elephant: Extra mild physical consequence.
Falcon: Negate one point of distance-based visual Alertness penalties.
Frog: +1 to Athletics for jumping.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:46:13 AM »
As for Supernatural Senses, I suggest:

Detect emotions
Sensing how others see you
6.28 vision
See around corners
Ignore complete darkness
Determine someone's worst fear/greatest hope
Sense True Faith
Sense morality
Detect disease
Detect poison
Detect areas where reality is thin
Sense magic
Sense electromagnetic fields
Echolocate
See the weak points in objects
Ignore blindfolds, earplugs, etc
Be a living compass
Detect borders and boundaries
Determine someone's age
Sense fate
Hear things that people thought about saying, but didn't
Sense someone's age by looking at them
Sense blood type
Determine approximate vitality
Detect whether someone is a capable combatant
Detect agents of (supernatural entity)
Sense explosives

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
I'm sorry, it's early and I'm still drinking my coffee, but what is 6.28 vision?
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
O i have an other thing to put example for. what do you think would be so reality warping powers.  the only one i have for an outsider in my game that was just died. he rolls conviction vs stealth to un-make you when you by going back in time and finding you before you had powers and well kill you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:07:28 AM by zaczane »

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
... Woah.

That's nasty.

I'd want to see a lot of limitations on that, because it seems to be bypassing the whole of the game's structure. I'd be happier if that was a mental attack inflicting Consequences to do with your memories not matching reality- people forgetting you exist, and stuff- and only unmaking you if you're taken out.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 12:23:30 AM »
6.28 vision is a terrible math joke. 360 degree vision would be a more direct way to describe it.

I agree with MorkaisChosen. Death isn't cheap in this game, so Save Or Die effects should generally be avoided. Conviction-based Incite Emotion with an extra effect upon take-out seems like the fairest way to model that power.

Alternately, you could create a new stress track for that power. Call it the Reality track. Maybe base it on Contacts or Resources to represent your connection to the world at large.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 03:09:55 AM »
well you see my group already beat him so no point in changing it now + his conviction wasn't very high anyway.  the reason it seems powerful though is that once my team beat him that was a major milestone so like a super boss type man. another thing was they had help from like 13 wardens and the gatekeeper and blackstaff.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »
Fair enough- but if I was running, even for that sort of a fight, I'd prefer to make people have a high chance of doing a lot of damage, instead of a small chance of instantly killing (or worse) the target. (Obviously your game's not my game, and this is an opinion.)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »
Fair enough- but if I was running, even for that sort of a fight, I'd prefer to make people have a high chance of doing a lot of damage, instead of a small chance of instantly killing (or worse) the target. (Obviously your game's not my game, and this is an opinion.)

That's more than just an opinion.  It's good game design.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
well all i can say is his conviction was like a 2 and all my players had a 3 or a 4 oh duh wow i feel stupid i was thinking to my self that it worked out fine yet you guys think that it seems to difficult and i couldn't figure it out.  well here is the thing i forgot to tell you.  all my players had a temporary stunt that gave them a +2 to stealth when rolling against well being unmade because they didn't look the same when they were too young to defend themselves. and i had bad dice that rolled really bad or according to my players GOOD DICE, GOOD GM DICE!!!!

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »
So, like I say, it's a very small chance of an instant kill. Either it doesn't do anything, so it may as well not have been there, or their character ceases to have existed. No middle ground.

I don't like save-or-die effects, like I say, and this is basically why.