Poll

Who's going to have the best Ghost Story release party in the Mid-Atlantic Region?

Philadelphia, PA
2 (12.5%)
Baltimore, MD
0 (0%)
Washington, DC
7 (43.8%)
Fredericksburg, VA
4 (25%)
Richmond, VA
1 (6.3%)
Virginia Beach, VA
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: May 16, 2011, 11:55:08 PM

Author Topic: Looking for a Ghost Story Release Party between Baltimore & Virginia Beach?  (Read 16010 times)

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
I can do all above.  I volunteer my house if you want near DC. Warning...I live in country so can be boring @ here.  Bout an hour from DC. Lots of land if folks like camping! :).
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Heh, yeah, I have to work the next day!  I suppose I'd entertain the possibility of going to Philly, but... it'll be release night.  You won't have read the book yet!  I won't be able to squee and flail with you!  Seems more sensible to have a party the Friday or Saturday after the book's release, so our heads will all be at equal states of explosion. :D  

I'd come down to D.C./Baltimore for a Saturday party, largely because I might get to meet the new Hicks Jr. :D

I thought about that, but figured we'd have a better chance of getting everyone together for an "Event" instead of a Saturday. 

Here's a random thought.  (And I know I've been squawking about it a lot...)

Baltimore Comic-Con is August 20-21 this year.  Its two weeks later, but...  It provides the "Event," its long enough after release that most of us will have read it at least once and it possibly increases the chance of us getting a few hold outs.  People who would be reluctant to go for just a fan get-together.

I still like the thought of a release party, maybe the night of...  I don't know.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I like Baltimore Comic Con idea...

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
And I live about an hour from Baltimore so those who want to crash here & save $ can do so! :D

Offline kittenbot

• Conversationalist
  • kittenbot of doooooooom--is doomy.
    • View Profile
    • tweeter
And I live about an hour from Baltimore so those who want to crash here & save $ can do so! :D

i live about an hour from baltimore too. but i don't know that i really have the time and money to go to another con this year. i'm pretty well spent for cons.
and grasshoppers can't talk anyway, dammnit!

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
i live about an hour from baltimore too. but i don't know that i really have the time and money to go to another con this year. i'm pretty well spent for cons.

BC is fairly cheap compared to most Con's I've looked at.  I think they did group rates at one point and there's a lot of stuff in Baltimore if we ended up doing an after party and/or "Fan Dinner" type event. 

Offline Cardnail

• Conversationalist
  • The problem with your gene pool. No Lifeguard
    • View Profile
Like I said before Im good where ever we decide. I would love to do a fan dinner at BC and i understand that most of us have to work the day after the release but im sure we all could work something out. toe just keep me in the loop.
I can say I am a DRESDENPHILE!!!

laugh and the whole world laughs with you. Laugh hysterically for no reason and they will leave you alone

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
I made my vote, but a second would be Richmond, VA for me.  There and VaBeach are about all we'd be able to do this go round due to the expense of traveling anywhere that would require more than a day trip.  VaBeach is a pretty awesome place in summer though.  You know, beach and all.  LOL

If you want to meet up at the Greenbriar B&N release night, I'm game.  Electric Butters said that he met one of the major organizers for Marscon working there, so I'm thinking she might be supportive of organizing something if we can get enough support drummed up.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
Yeah... I don't think I'll be able to do anymore cons for the next ten years.  I really shouldn't have gone to NYCC, much less another convention not half a year later.  As it stands, I don't even have the money to preorder Ghost Story at this point.

Offline kittenbot

• Conversationalist
  • kittenbot of doooooooom--is doomy.
    • View Profile
    • tweeter
Yeah... I don't think I'll be able to do anymore cons for the next ten years.  I really shouldn't have gone to NYCC, much less another convention not half a year later.  As it stands, I don't even have the money to preorder Ghost Story at this point.

orly?
and grasshoppers can't talk anyway, dammnit!

Offline Glorificus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Why are they all on the East Coast? Isn't Jim going to Houston this time?
What if pigs flew around on the backs of sparkly vampires?

The best thing about my faerie godmother is that the creepy just keeps on coming. p. 273

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Why are they all on the East Coast? Isn't Jim going to Houston this time?

This isn't a Jim event.  This is a fan-organized shindig.  Jim's signing tour has not yet been announced.

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
This isn't a Jim event.  This is a fan-organized shindig.  Jim's signing tour has not yet been announced.

Oh how I wish it was a Jim Event, but no, only us lowly fans.

Voting has closed.  It looks like DC and Fredericksburg (weird) have the most votes.  

Now for the next question... And no, I don't think I'll start a poll for it...

Do we want to do something:
A) Before Release
    Evening of July 25th for Dinner and then a place that will sell us our copies at Midnight, then IHOP to sit around and read the book w/ LOTSA coffee...
B) After Release
    That weekend July 30th/31st (or Aug 6th/7th) for a Post Release Party. Fun, food, (hopefully) friends. and lots talk about the book that we've all had time to read.
C) Baltimore ComicCon
    I know, I know.  A lot of people have said they can't do another CON (both in the topic, others, PM, and RL) but just because we have a fan event NEAR a CON after CON Hours...  Maybe at PF Changs in the Harbor, or...  Anyone from Baltimore want to throw ideas out there?

D) Per Priscellie: Jim is coming to the B&N in Tyson's Corner on August 1st at 7:00pm. If we can get an itinerary of Q&A/Signing, then we might want to do a Fan Gathering before (Traffic Horrible) or After (possibly too late on a work night...)

And now I think I might be lobbying for a bit of C & a LOT of D...

And I don't want the thread to lock.

[Edited for AWESOMENESS provided by Priscellie]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:42:30 PM by Toe-mas »

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
FYI, BN.com is reporting a signing for Jim just outside of D.C.:

Monday August 01, 2011 7:00 PM
Tysons Corner Mall
Tysons Corner Center
7851 L. Tysons Corner Center
McLean, VA 22102
703-506-2937

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
FYI, BN.com is reporting a signing for Jim just outside of D.C.:

Monday August 01, 2011 7:00 PM
Tysons Corner Mall
Tysons Corner Center
7851 L. Tysons Corner Center
McLean, VA 22102
703-506-2937

Just read that and WOOHOO!!!  Was actually about to Edit/update my last post.