Author Topic: The Slayer  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Slayer
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
I think having being "The Slayer" should apply as the toughness catch no a number of Buffyverse creatures.

It usually doesn't, actually. For opponents with unique defenses, she typically requires unique solutions. One vampire with too much Toughness to be staked gets hit with a sharpened post or something. An ancient demon immune to mortal weapons turns out to be mostly just immune to Weapon:3 and below, not so much rocket launchers. The She-Mantis gets owned with bat sonar. Et cetera.

Her being the Slayer puts her on the same level as most of the things she fights, and her living on the Hellmouth puts her in the same territory. Beyond that she mostly has to do things the hard way, and it's notable that Buffy's unique longevity and efficacy are due to the friends she makes (mostly Willow, let's be honest). Most Slayers burn out and die quickly.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:14 AM »
It usually doesn't, actually. For opponents with unique defenses, she typically requires unique solutions. One vampire with too much Toughness to be staked gets hit with a sharpened post or something. An ancient demon immune to mortal weapons turns out to be mostly just immune to Weapon:3 and below, not so much rocket launchers. The She-Mantis gets owned with bat sonar. Et cetera.

Her being the Slayer puts her on the same level as most of the things she fights, and her living on the Hellmouth puts her in the same territory. Beyond that she mostly has to do things the hard way, and it's notable that Buffy's unique longevity and efficacy are due to the friends she makes (mostly Willow, let's be honest). Most Slayers burn out and die quickly.

Without Willow Buffy would have been nothing... and died more than 3 times.  Probably permanently.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 11:19:15 AM »
An ancient demon immune to mortal weapons turns out to be mostly just immune to Weapon:3 and below, not so much rocket launchers.
IIRC (from reading TV Tropes) that guy was immune to weapons forged by mortal man.

Rockets aren't forged.

;D

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
IIRC (from reading TV Tropes) that guy was immune to weapons forged by mortal man.

Rockets aren't forged.

;D

They actually might have been sufficiently "forged" in a metaphysical sense (I ST'd Changeling, that's how I'd rule it) given that their component metal certainly is - in the episode itself, Buffy's quote is something to the effect of "That was then, this is now", suggesting that the weapons of mortal man just weren't up to the task back in the day. It's implied that the Judge was previously hacked to pieces by an army dedicated to the cause, as well.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
They actually might have been sufficiently "forged" in a metaphysical sense (I ST'd Changeling, that's how I'd rule it) given that their component metal certainly is - in the episode itself, Buffy's quote is something to the effect of "That was then, this is now", suggesting that the weapons of mortal man just weren't up to the task back in the day. It's implied that the Judge was previously hacked to pieces by an army dedicated to the cause, as well.

I always wondered where that rocket launcher came from until I read a wiki stating that Xander still had it when he was a soldier (IE much less useless) during the Halloween episode.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 07:27:14 PM »
I always wondered where that rocket launcher came from until I read a wiki stating that Xander still had it when he was a soldier (IE much less useless) during the Halloween episode.
What happened was he snuck into the base and took it. He was able to do so by pretending to be soldier.
Originally it was supposed to be a tank but budget got in the way.
So Xander in real life would have Army Intelligence, Homeland Security, the ATF and the FBI on his ass.  ;D

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »
What happened was he snuck into the base and took it. He was able to do so by pretending to be soldier.
Originally it was supposed to be a tank but budget got in the way.
So Xander in real life would have Army Intelligence, Homeland Security, the ATF and the FBI on his ass.  ;D

Yeah... you can't just walk off a base with an AT-4.

And yeah... Xander sooooo would have gone to jail. lol

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 10:08:25 PM »
Yeah... you can't just walk off a base with an AT-4.

And yeah... Xander sooooo would have gone to jail. lol
no you see, he was all, Shine those shoes soldier, stand up straight, and then snuck off...or something.
I mean clearly they leave Rockets just laying around. ;)