Author Topic: Recovering from Extreme Concequences  (Read 3334 times)

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Recovering from Extreme Concequences
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »
I personally prefered the old version of Mythic Recovery where you could recover from Extreme concequences a scene after the fight. It just makes sense for some monsters unless you finish them off completly they will recover. The game play has meant to model high level recovery I have to use physical immunity with a catch of sufficient damage. (which by the ways is still cheaper than mythic recovery.)
Ehhh. Devalues Extreme Consequences, IMO.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
Consequences are chosen by the player of the one taking them, right?  So if you have Mythic recovery and your arm gets chopped off as a consequence then that could just be a severe consequence.
If you have Mythic Recovery (and regrowing limbs was appropriate to your High Concept that gave you access to the power), then it's not unreasonable to mark off the severe consequence box, write down the consequence of "Dude, have you seen my arm anywhere?" and have the arm grow back as you recover from the consequence a few minutes later.  But if you mark off the extreme consequence box, then the arm isn't going to be growing back soon, regardless of your Mythic Recovery.  Perhaps for such a character, and extreme consequence needs to be worded differently, since limb loss is not 'extreme' to him.  Perhaps in his case, his new aspect should be "But ... its always have grown back before!" which would reflect not only the loss of the arm, but also a loss of confidence is his powers, which until that moment have always made him all but invincible.  And until he regains that confidence (and finds a way to regrow the arm by another means) the extreme consequence stays in place.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »
Alternatively, the arm could grow back fairly quickly; the extreme consequence would be the psychological effect of realizing that he's not invincible, which would stay with him far longer than it takes for the arm to regrow. 

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »
Alternatively, the arm could grow back fairly quickly; the extreme consequence would be the psychological effect of realizing that he's not invincible, which would stay with him far longer than it takes for the arm to regrow. 
I like the way you think.

Compels not to dive into the thick of fights, that sort of thing?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
I like the way you think.

Compels not to dive into the thick of fights, that sort of thing?

That would definitely work for me.

I like mental aspects/compels more anyway.  They're usually easier to take advantage of, AND and existing mental consequence on a PC makes them fear mentally attacking creatures more.

The way I would model it on a character with supernatural or mythic recovery, is that every time they take an extreme consequence, they get a semi-permanent mental consequence.  If they keep taking extreme physical consequences, eventually their character will be mentally "taken out" and either never get out of bed or have no confidence or something.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.