Author Topic: Recovering from Extreme Concequences  (Read 3336 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Recovering from Extreme Concequences
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
I was wondering about my interpretation of the recovery powers. The recovery powers says that a person can heal from any wound (besides extreme) with no other excuse besides time. What I was wondering is whether a person with (inhuman and supernatural) recovery powers could eventually heal from an extreme concequence with a justification, say for example sewing a cut of limb back on as the recovery time for such an injury would be tecniqually only severe or moderate.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:04:04 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Recovering from Extreme Concequences
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:45:34 PM »
Eh, really, Extreme consequences recover at the speed of plot.  The book even suggests that a normal person could recover from such a thing given enough time, but that it's up to GM and players to figure that out.  If a recovery power plus surgery or whatever seems like enough justification to you and your group, go for it.  Just remember that it's not really a meaningful consequence if it doesn't last long enough to make an impact on the character and the plot.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »
I'd say Recovery provides justification, but you need the usual Extreme consequence recovery time- Speed Of Plot. You're not removing it, either- you're replacing an Aspect.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:37:09 PM »
I am less convinced about the plot nature of extreme physical concequences when Mythic Regeneration can heal a extreme concequence in two scenes. So what this means is that a PC with mythic regeneration can grow a new arm/eye/leg/brain,spinal colum in 15 minutes or so, in comparison allowing someone with supernatural toughness to heal a  re-atached limb in a couple of week seems reasonable, especially when you consider the fact that the character can already heal from shattered bones and near-terminal injuries in about 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:50:11 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Really Extreme consequences change when you can change the aspect. So regardless of how long it should take a person with mythic recovery to recover it still takes them at least one whole milestone.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
Really Extreme consequences change when you can change the aspect. So regardless of how long it should take a person with mythic recovery to recover it still takes them at least one whole milestone.

A character with
"Really Amazingly Fast Recovery. Out of
combat, you may recover from all physical
consequences before the beginning of the
next scene after you receive them!" Your Story

Can recover from all concequences by the beggining of the next scene including extreme which means re-growing limbs etc, your interpretation of the rules means that someone who takes the 'one armed' extreme concequence who then regrows that limb in the next scene will still have the aspect even though he now has two arms.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:06:49 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »
Honestly? I wouldn't give that guy One Arm as an Extreme consequence. Consequences are a narrative abstraction, and for that guy, losing an arm doesn't hold the narrative significance it would for someone else- hence, it's not an Extreme Consequence.

(This is opinion.)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »
I seems I was wrong about mythic recovery and that 'all physical consequences' do not include extreme physical concequences which are not physical concequences but aspects in physical concequences clothing. Which somewhat makes this thread entirly pointless sorry guys.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:34:34 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Honestly? I wouldn't give that guy One Arm as an Extreme consequence. Consequences are a narrative abstraction, and for that guy, losing an arm doesn't hold the narrative significance it would for someone else- hence, it's not an Extreme Consequence.

(This is opinion.)

This is a good opinion.

Also, I find that my players have a hard time for some reason remembering that Extreme Consequences are not always physical. They all see it like this - getting dismembered. On the upside, I do get to practice my maniacal grin when I remind them that catastrophic insanity also qualifies...

Or, as one of my players put it recently - An extreme social consequence: being entered into the Sex Offender Registry. This was the ultimate revenge against a White Court Raith. He will never pick up a girl ever again. They will just google him before they walk out. Compel applied!

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »
I think Harry's burned hand is a really good example, actually- sure, there's the fact he has one less hand than usual, but the really big thing is that he loses his confidence with fire magic and doesn't use it for a whole book.

And getting a White Courtier on the sex offenders register is absolutely brilliant. Many points for that one!

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »
You guys are all forgetting something.

Extreme consequences taken as result of an attack that meets a catch.

Those injuries should last as long as a vanilla mortal's would.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »
True- so for, say, a Loup-Garou with the Catch "Inherited silver weapons" and Mythic Recovery, I'd have "Arm cut off" as a Severe consequence, and "Arm cut off with an inherited silver weapon" as an Extreme consequence. I think Extreme consequences are extreme enough to justify that.

To be clear- I wouldn't be downgrading normal consequences because "this guy heals fast, so they matter less," as that devalues the healing power; Extreme ones are already an exception to several of the standard rules, as they modify an existing Aspect- thereby changing the core of the character- so I think they deserve special treatment.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
Recovery powers (even mythic) don't work on extreme consequences:
Quote from: YS205
No amount of supernatural healing or other abilities can speed up the recovery of an extreme consequence, and you cannot take another extreme consequence until after the next major milestone in the game, regardless of your powers.
Note that the emphasis is per the RAW.

Basically, they don't count as satisfying the Catch as such (ie, you can benefit from your Toughness powers via armor and bonus stress boxes and Recovery via recycling lesser consequences to avoid taking it in the first place), but once you choose to take one, your Recover power doesn't help you clear it any faster than a pure mortal could.  And you still need to come up with a justification beyond your Recovery power, since the Total Recovery capability doesn't apply to extreme consequences.  In these ways, such wounds are treated the same as wounds that satisfied your Catch, whether or not the wound was caused by an attack that satisfied the Catch.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:48:39 PM »
I personally prefered the old version of Mythic Recovery where you could recover from Extreme concequences a scene after the fight. It just makes sense for some monsters unless you finish them off completly they will recover. The game play has meant to model high level recovery I have to use physical immunity with a catch of sufficient damage. (which by the ways is still cheaper than mythic recovery.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:37:59 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »
Consequences are chosen by the player of the one taking them, right?  So if you have Mythic recovery and your arm gets chopped off as a consequence then that could just be a severe consequence.

The wacky thing is recovery powers also don't help you from taken out results either, even if the taken out result could be easily modelled as a consequence.