Author Topic: Iron Kingdoms with FATE  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
Iron Kingdoms with FATE
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »
I am a big fan of the Iron Kingdoms campaing setting. If you are not familiar with the setting here is a link on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Kingdoms#Populations_of_the_Iron_Kingdoms

I would like to run an Iron Kingdoms campaign for my group but I would use the Fate system from DFRPG. I have some ideas but I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions how to model some of the specific IK classes( like the Gunmage and the Warcaster) and the playable races. I was thinking to giving the races some special abilities from DFRPG( like giving Ogrun Hulking Size and Inhuman Strenght). There are 6 playable races in the IK: Humans, Dwarves, Elves( Iosan and Nyss), Gobbers( Gobber and Bogrin), Trollkin and Ogrun.
Thanks for your help! :)

-Howl
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Kingdoms with FATE
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
It should be dead easy.

Steampunk gadgets are items of power. That covers them.

The big robot dudes are just built like normal beasties. Just decide on Refresh and such.

Alchemy is, well, alchemy. It's covered already in the rules.

Races need appropriate High Concept Aspects and, where necessary, powers.

Your only real decision is whether you want to keep the whole Refresh = choice bit. You can keep that as is, and you'll get similar stories where powerful beings are ruled over by their nature.

Or you can get rid of that. Give characters a set Refresh that doesn't get used for powers and Stunts, probably somewhere around 5. This doesn't change. Then give them separate points that must be spent on Stunts and powers; anyone who doesn't take supernatural powers gets 2 more points to this second pool. Failure to spend your second pool basically means that you have points floating around that you can't use for anything; you might be saving these for more expensive powers.

Oh, and you need to change a couple of skills. That should be pretty easy. Guns becomes Archery, etc.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »
Hmm, I was thinking of putting steampunk-mechanicka items as Gadets from SoTC. Items of power would be the more powerfull items.
My biggest problem is deciding how to deal with the special IK classes in FATE. Like the Warcaster: they can control warjacks and empower their own weapons and armors with magic. Warcasters also wear special armors but those are easily covered as items of power.
I should probably just come up with new stunts for those abilities, that would be the easiest way I think. :)

And thanks for the skill advice, I forgot about that! And Guns should stay Guns, because there are firearms in the Iron Kingdoms.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
My biggest problem is deciding how to deal with the special IK classes in FATE. Like the Warcaster: they can control warjacks and empower their own weapons and armors with magic. Warcasters also wear special armors but those are easily covered as items of power.
I should probably just come up with new stunts for those abilities, that would be the easiest way I think. :)

Sounds like this could be taken care of with artificers. If a caster takes a large number of enchanted item slots it could cover special armors, etc. And an evocation doesn't have to be someone throwing around raw force, it can be someone channeling energy through their blade. I had a friend who had a martial arts themed character with channeling and his evocations were simply him punching people, but amplified by his chi. That's all fluff. What you want to look at it mechanical use. What do warcasters do mechanically? Represent that then cover it with the appropriate "skin".

And thanks for the skill advice, I forgot about that! And Guns should stay Guns, because there are firearms in the Iron Kingdoms.

How common are guns? Maybe guns should switch to archery (with guns at -2) and then there's a stunt that allows you to shoot guns without the negative. Guess it depends on which is more common.

EDIT: Oh, and the steamjacks are just going to be difficult as are any other summoned/crafted creature in the DFRPG. You could represent them with item of power, shapeshifting abilities, or Devonapple has a whole summoning/golem thread with other thoughts.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23613.msg1010830.html#msg1010830

I think there's another thread running around somewhere too, but I couldn't find it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:03:16 PM by sinker »

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
Ah, there are guns. Missed that. (I'm not familiar with the setting and skimmed that link you gave.) So keep Guns Guns and have it handle all ranged weapons. Or re-name it Ranged or some such if the generic term doesn't bother you.

When I said items of power for steam punk, forgive my lack of clarity. What I was thinking was things like steam powered battle armour that gives you a couple of Inhuman level physicals. Or like a set of gear-punk wings that lets you fly super fast. That type of thing.

Something like a gear-tech gun is just a gun. A steam punk horse is just a horse. Etc. Basically, if you could use it without special stunts and powers, you should be able to use a steam-punk version of it without special stunts and powers.

If you're talking about controlling some sort of mechanized war machines, maybe you could use the summoning rules. I"m not sure how comfortable a fit for you that would be.

For personal use special items, you could actually handle them like potions.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 06:40:58 AM »
How common are guns? Maybe guns should switch to archery (with guns at -2) and then there's a stunt that allows you to shoot guns without the negative. Guess it depends on which is more common.

EDIT: Oh, and the steamjacks are just going to be difficult as are any other summoned/crafted creature in the DFRPG. You could represent them with item of power, shapeshifting abilities, or Devonapple has a whole summoning/golem thread with other thoughts.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23613.msg1010830.html#msg1010830

I think there's another thread running around somewhere too, but I couldn't find it.

Guns are very common in the setting, but mostly muskets and flintlock pistols. There are no "modern" guns. Thanks for the summoning/golem thread, that could be useful in my game. And good point on letting warcasters channel their magic through weapons and using the normal channeling rules-that would make things a lot simpler :)

When I said items of power for steam punk, forgive my lack of clarity. What I was thinking was things like steam powered battle armour that gives you a couple of Inhuman level physicals. Or like a set of gear-punk wings that lets you fly super fast. That type of thing.

Something like a gear-tech gun is just a gun. A steam punk horse is just a horse. Etc. Basically, if you could use it without special stunts and powers, you should be able to use a steam-punk version of it without special stunts and powers.

If you're talking about controlling some sort of mechanized war machines, maybe you could use the summoning rules. I"m not sure how comfortable a fit for you that would be.

For personal use special items, you could actually handle them like potions.

Warcaster armor would definitely be an item of power-it does give its user increased strenght and a power field that absorbs damage to a degree. And other steampunk items could very easily be handled as enchanted items. And thanks for the potion idea-that would fit well with the Gunmage character. Gunmages can craft special bullets empowered with their magic, so I could make that as potions: each session a Gunmage character has a few special bullets that he prepared that are one-shot items(potions).