Author Topic: A Minor Mechanical Problem  (Read 7881 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Minor Mechanical Problem
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
Well, a delayed action grapple could be a good option for some.

I was thinking a Fists or Weapons block myself.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 01:09:20 AM »
How do you phrase a weapons block, using, lets say, a sword, that would prevent an opponent with supernatural speed from disengaging (moving out of the zone) with minimal fuss in such a way that it can be initiated before that opponent is even within striking range?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 01:11:51 AM »
How do you phrase a weapons block, using, lets say, a sword, that would prevent an opponent with supernatural speed from disengaging (moving out of the zone) with minimal fuss in such a way that it can be initiated before that opponent is even within striking range?

I wait for him to come at me and then I step put my sword to his neck.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 01:20:03 AM »
Perhaps strafing was the wrong word. I was imagining a speedster with a gun, who never let his opponent into the same zone as him unless they sprinted.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 01:30:03 AM »
Note however that you got a sword. Or a gun. Or whatever other implement you want to use in a skill. Barring a specific stunt that gives bonus to blocks or a power that gives flat-out skill bonuses, your skill is at most equal to skill cap. A speedster with inhuman speed has athletics at skill cap +1. At supernatural speed, you are looking at skill cap +2. At mythic speed, you are looking at skill cap +3.

So the speedster has a good chance to ignore your block anyway - unless you're blocking with Incite, in which case you are blocking at Skill+2 because your WC virgin is so entrancingly pure (or not, as the case may be) that everyone gets distracted.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 01:33:45 AM »
Perhaps strafing was the wrong word. I was imagining a speedster with a gun, who never let his opponent into the same zone as him unless they sprinted.

If a character does that, I think the power is working as intended.

This is why it's good to have a balanced group.

A skilled gunslinger is really a boon to any group.

Wizards too, but a gunslinger can really lay down the hurt from a distance, and most players are creative enough to figure out a way to meet a catch with certain kinds of bullets if they are aware of it.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 02:17:18 AM »
I think that if Harry was in this situation (and if for some reason he didn't have his pistol and couldn't toss a fireball) he would probably fall back on his charming personality and provoke the bad guy into charging mindlessly into range...

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:47 AM »
At mythic speed, you are looking at skill cap +3.

Hence, mythic.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
I think it's funny that a character with athletics:2 and mythic speed has identical athletics checks except for Stealth, etc as a character with Athletics:5.

Also, how does mythic speed allow a character to keep up with cars if they have an athletics of 1 before bonuses?  That doesn't make any sense.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »
I think it's funny that a character with athletics:2 and mythic speed has identical athletics checks except for Stealth, etc as a character with Athletics:5.

Also, how does mythic speed allow a character to keep up with cars if they have an athletics of 1 before bonuses?  That doesn't make any sense.
Why doesn't it make any sense? Can you elaborate on how you see it?

Barry Allen is a police scientist, he works in his lab most of the time, he doesn't have much of an Athletics skill. But as the Flash, he outruns even Superman. Mythic Speed, to me, is Speed Force fast.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 11:40:22 AM »
Why doesn't it make any sense? Can you elaborate on how you see it?

Barry Allen is a police scientist, he works in his lab most of the time, he doesn't have much of an Athletics skill. But as the Flash, he outruns even Superman. Mythic Speed, to me, is Speed Force fast.

The raw athletics rolls for an athletics:2 +mythic speed character and an athletics:5 vanilla mortal are exactly the same.

Sure, the mythic speed guy can move zones during combat without a penalty and move more than 1 zone while acting, but in a sprint, they will both go about the same distance.

It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »
An Athletics 1 guy with mythic speed moves as I he had Athletics 7 when sprinting.  Still not Flash speed mind you.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
The raw athletics rolls for an athletics:2 +mythic speed character and an athletics:5 vanilla mortal are exactly the same.

Sure, the mythic speed guy can move zones during combat without a penalty and move more than 1 zone while acting, but in a sprint, they will both go about the same distance.

It doesn't make a lot of sense.

The guy with mythic speed gets 8 because the 3 doubles whilst sprinting and also has the power of thematics  as he can run as fast as a car.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »
Someone with Mythic Speed and athletics of 1 can move ten zones. 1 for his base athletics, 6 for twice the mythic speed bonus (it's doubled when sprinting), and another 3 for a free supplemental to move 3 zones. While sprinting he has an athletics defense of 7 (epic). Now, he may also set aside the doubling of the athletics bonus when sprinting to keep up with vehicles. I.e. he can simply declare he moves that many zones regardless of his actual athletics (which is only then used for defense).

As for the Flash, he probably has several upgrades heaped on top of plain Mythic Speed. Something like Kinkaid's mobility stunt to move a further 2 zones as a supplemental (total of 5), acrobat stunt for better ranged defense, an equivalent dodge stunt vs melee, a -1 refresh power to move in surfaces of any kind (such as ceilings and the surface of the sea), a -1 refresh power to allow maneuvers and blocks with athletics (similar to Incite Emotion, only physical), and finally a -1 refresh power that, for a fate point, allows him to reduce the time scale required to perform a physical task by his athletics or to use his athletics for an attack.
He also should have Physical Immunity to friction, acceleration and high-speed impacts; for him he is not fast, subjectively - the world is slow.

Yeah, -15 refresh for all his abilities seems about right.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
Someone with Mythic Speed and athletics of 1 can move ten zones. 1 for his base athletics, 6 for twice the mythic speed bonus (it's doubled when sprinting), and another 3 for a free supplemental to move 3 zones. While sprinting he has an athletics defense of 7 (epic). Now, he may also set aside the doubling of the athletics bonus when sprinting to keep up with vehicles. I.e. he can simply declare he moves that many zones regardless of his actual athletics (which is only then used for defense).

You don't get to add your supplemental move if you're sprinting.