Author Topic: query letter queries  (Read 1396 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
query letter queries
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »
I currently have a manuscript ready to shop around to agents and have some concerns; hopefully someone who has experience with this process can advise me:

-It's the first volume in a projected series, so would it be advisable for me to have a couple of sequels written and ready to go before I even consider querying agencies?  I only ask because Jim has mentioned this as something that went a long way toward getting The Dresden Files published.  (I do have a partial rough draft of Book Two.)

-When an agency's web site says "multiple submissions okay", to what are they referring?  That it's okay to send your query to more than one agent at the company?  That it's okay to send queries for more than one manuscript to the agency?  Or that it's okay to send your query to other agencies at the same time?  (Speaking of the latter, do some/most/all agents have issues with this?)

-Every agency seems to have different expectations of what constitutes a "good" query letter; for example, one agency I'm considering posted examples of letters that had sold recent manuscripts to them, most of which would almost certainly have been rejected by Query Shark as vague and unengaging (and the one letter that garnered HUGE praise on QS broke all the rules.)  Is it recommended to tailor one's query to the specific agency, or send the same one to multiple agents?

-Would someone here with experience in the field be willling to vet my query letter when I get it written (I'll PM you when the time comes.)

-Am I way over-thinking this?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Re: query letter queries
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »
According to standard etiquette, it's best not to even mention that the book is part of a planned series.  That can come up after the agent's shown interest, and at that point it'd probably be a nice plus if you could say that you've got the rough draft of the second done.

Multiple submissions usually means that you're submitting the work to many agents at once.  It's polite to note that somewhere in your query letter.  Of course, if they're the only agent you're submitting to, it's nice to note that as well. ;)

Yes, it's absolutely recommended that you tailor your query letter to specific agencies.  This is a pain in the ass.  You'll generally find they fall into one of a few categories though, and it might be possible to have Query Letter A, B, and C sitting on your hard drive.  Sometimes it's just a matter of formatting.  Do they want the blurb first and then the book info, or info first and then the blurb?  Do they want your address at the top or the bottom?  Cut and pasting will solve many problems, I've found.

Nathan Bransford has a section on his forums specifically for posting query letters and getting advice.  Edit out your personal info and try posting it there.  The only coin you need is to post a few reviews yourself of other peoples' letters.  Just reading the advice people give can be quite the eye-opener.  In the end, you'll still have to tailor your query to specific agents and there are a few somewhat unhelpful people who critique based on one particular agent's style (they'll insist you always start with the bio, for instance, when some agents prefer to start with the blurb) but all in all it's helpful.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: query letter queries
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »
What I've heard about multiple submissions-only source being a Baen editor, I think, on a writing excuses episode-was that it refers to the actual manuscript being out.

As for breaking the rules, it's kinda like with everything else-you can break the rules when you know what the rules are, and with query letters specifically, I'd guess that you can break the rules if it's done well and fits with the manuscript.

One thing I saw yesterday for writing queries, which I don't think I've seen mentioned almost anywhere, for the bio of an unpublished author was to say "I am an unpublished author, and I'm currently working on my second novel."

Also, you might be overthinking it. Queries are kinda made to seem like this big huge bad thing that you absolutely have to do perfectly in order to get any kinda deal made. Except that it's not completely true-you just have to have it written professionally and well enough to engage and make the agent/editor want to read more. I'd suggest searching for Harry Connelly's-I know he posted it somewhere, the Night Bazaar blog maybe?-and his was one of the shortest I think I've seen posted.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury