Author Topic: Were-Form Catch and Inhuman Toughness/Recovery  (Read 3708 times)

Offline danthehut

• Participant
    • View Profile
Were-Form Catch and Inhuman Toughness/Recovery
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
Reading through the powers I see that Inhuman Toughness/Recovery mention you must take a catch.

However looking at the Were-From template I see no catch mentioned, and the examples provided in OW (Billy Border) show no catch for were forms with those abilities.

Also some samples people have made on the board dont seem to have a catch indicated for those powers, and others do.

Am I missing something here? Or do you not need to take a catch if you have the powers only in your were-form. Is that considered catch-y enough?

Offline danthehut

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Were-Form Catch and Inhuman Toughness/Recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
ok, so i reread billy's stat block in OW and he dosent have inhuman toughness or recovery. so there goes my confusion.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:27:27 PM »
The question is still valid though (especially considering what we see in aftermath) and there are a bunch of great solutions. The first one that jumps to mind is you can always take an unknown catch (say at +0), which makes it all the more dramatic when the GM "accedentally" discovers it.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »
For certain were-forms, such as a were-bear or were-armadillo, a toughness power and related catch may be appropriate.  In the case of the bear, we ruled that his Inhuman Toughness had the catch of "Hunting rifles and other weaponry designed for dealing with large animals instead of humans".  I don't recall how much rebate he got for that, and it didn't come up very often.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »
He got a +1 rebate.
Why?  Because a Catch can't reduce the total cost of the character's Toughness powers below -1.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline danthehut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
Can the same catch satisfy the requirement for two inhuman abilities that require a catch?

I would guess it does, but still only provides a +1.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
Can the same catch satisfy the requirement for two inhuman abilities that require a catch?
Yes. Read the phrasing of the chapter in question. Explicitly, all toughness powers have the same catch and are treated as one bundle.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:39:15 PM »
So yeah, if you have inhuman toughness and inhuman recovery you can have a catch of up to +3, because the toughness and recovery are both facets of the same ability and the catch applies to both.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 09:48:02 AM »
ok, so i reread billy's stat block in OW and he dosent have inhuman toughness or recovery. so there goes my confusion.
That is his old stat block. By Aftermath, he shows some form of recovery. We do not know what exactly is the catch however.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Kerberos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 05:57:51 AM »
 The obvious catch and also the one I'm going with for my werewolf is silver. Of cause that's really not quite canon since in the Dresdenverse, a werewolf is simply a shape-changer rather a "real" werewolvf (a loup-garoux in the Dresdenverse). Still to me if you're a were-anything silver is your weakness, if you prefer to go with canon then hunting rifles or similar is the obvious choice.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:00:09 AM »
We just added a werebear to our game, and we opted to take monkshood (or, more commonly, wolvesbane) as the generic Catch for were-creatures.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »
I would go with something similar to the Spectres catch "[+0] Catch is that they can’t heal from stuff that specifically disrupts ectoplasm (like Ghost Dust)." Something like "[+0] Catch is that they can’t heal from or stop stuff that specifically disrupts shape shifting magic" should fit with canon and logic.

Offline Barrington

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 10:20:04 PM »
Much depends on what animal you turn into. If you're playing the type of Were-Form that just changes into a real-life animal that can soak up a lot of punishment, I think it'd make sense to just have the catch be anything above a certain weapon rating. I think I'd also add some restrictions, such as no Toughness powers unless your animal has Hulking Size or really thick scales or the like. Now if your wereform is, say, a White Wolf style garou, then you'd take the toughness power and give it some kind of magical catch.
YOU ARE SO SMALL! IS FUNNY TO ME!

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 02:56:54 AM »
I say silver if only because most people associate werewolf weakness with Silver and it's a hard mental block to overcome. The reason silver isn't effective against normal wereforms is because they don't have supernatural toughness to begin with so the silver doesn't have anything to overcome. Wereforms usually taking those extra hits because they're huge and can redistribute their Endurance to have an abnormally high specialization, an some are really big.

Offline Leatherneck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »
Also consider where the were-form comes from.  I created a were-panther character whose shape shifting powers is hereditary due to an old bargain with the fae.   His catch is the fae catch, cold iron and such.