Author Topic: Balancing fan enthusiasm with conventional author methodology  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
I have a bit of an issue. Putting it simply, everyone who has read what I have written has been enthusiastic at the very least, and in more than a few cases threatened me with dire bodily harm if I DIDN'T publish. However, I am not a classically-trained author, don't attend writing workshops, have never taken a literature or writing class since High School, etc. Career-wise I am about as far from a conventional writer's background as one can get, short of being an illiterate hermit (though, ironically enough, my career field DOES play into my writing quite a bit, if through a sci-fi filter). I have written for a role-playing game company, and have published articles and such, but nothing like a novel. So, the target audience seem to like what I am writing quite a bit, however to get to them via the bookshelf I have to overcome the dual hurdles of agents and publishers. Considering that they usually come from a much more conventional background, two key questions pop into my head- 1) How important is it to agents/publishers for a first-time author to have writing credentials in their background? And 2) How important is audience interest, and is it even possible to convey such during submission?

Thoughts? :-)
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Balancing fan enthusiasm with conventional author methodology
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »
1) How important is it to agents/publishers for a first-time author to have writing credentials in their background? And 2) How important is audience interest, and is it even possible to convey such during submission?

Thoughts? :-)
1-If it were important for writing credentials, I don't think a lot of people would get published.  The main thing is that you know how to write, you have a good story, you keep them interested, and they want to read more.
2-It doesn't matter. More often than not, the audience interest that's mentioned tends to be family/friends/a teacher's class/writing teacher/whatnot.  From everything I've read/heard, agents and editors aren't interested in that. Because it doesn't have any bearing on whether they want the story or not.

Essentially, it comes down to writing the best story you possibly can, polishing it as much as you can, and writing a query that'll get an agent/editor interested and having the first however many pages interest them to where they want chapters or a full manuscript.

The other option is that you could find someone to help you revise and polish, and you could self publish, and if you sell enough copies--which seems to be around 2,000 to get noticed(or did, before the last several months)--you can then possibly find an agent willing to represent you.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:11:18 AM »
1) How important is it to agents/publishers for a first-time author to have writing credentials in their background?

Not remotely.

2) How important is audience interest, and is it even possible to convey such during submission?

Unless your audience interest numbers are provably in the millions, trying to do so in submission is usually a net minus; it comes across as ego. (Along the same lines that, if you were Stephen Hawking or Lady Gaga, someone might be interested in your biography, but as an average person, probably not.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:27:16 PM »
shoulda clarified- by audience interest, I meant in sales from other genre productions such as the game company I write for. Do their sales figures matter, in other words. Thanks for the input :)
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
shoulda clarified- by audience interest, I meant in sales from other genre productions such as the game company I write for. Do their sales figures matter, in other words. Thanks for the input :)
As in they've already published it, or in conjunction with what they've published-like Forgotten Realms or such?

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:43:42 PM »
well, the RPG uses the same setting as the novels (kinda how I got roped into writing for it), but through a different publisher. I was going to approach the Massey agency when I finish the polishing on the first novel, so I have no idea who- if anyone- it would be published by. So, published (release date is in a little over a month and some change), but in a different format (RPG vs. novels) and through a different company. Sort of the reverse of what happened with Jim and the DFRPG, I guess.

Offline cherie

• Conversationalist
  • @maooww
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:49 PM »
You might have some issues with the rights to use of the setting/world that the RPG and novel are both set in. I'm far from an expert, but I would have thought that could cause more problems than solve them, if if it is original work. I don't know...

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
You might have some issues with the rights to use of the setting/world that the RPG and novel are both set in. I'm far from an expert, but I would have thought that could cause more problems than solve them, if if it is original work. I don't know...
^This is why I was asking. 
well, the RPG uses the same setting as the novels (kinda how I got roped into writing for it), but through a different publisher. I was going to approach the Massey agency when I finish the polishing on the first novel, so I have no idea who- if anyone- it would be published by. So, published (release date is in a little over a month and some change), but in a different format (RPG vs. novels) and through a different company. Sort of the reverse of what happened with Jim and the DFRPG, I guess.
This does sound sorta like how the Forgotten Realms and DragonLance series started.  I don't know about the FR books, but the DL series is put out by the Wizards of the Coast.  I'm pretty sure Weis/Hickman were approached to write the DL books in conjunction with the RPG coming out, though not certain.  I'm not really sure how to approach this one, most I know about RPGs/novels tends to be the RPG licensed from the novel/tv/movie, or the RPG publisher doing the novel.  Also, Massey agency?  Sure you don't mean Maass?  Looked up Massey, only came up with insurance.

My best suggestion? Ask agents/editors/RPGers on twitter or facebook, or something like that.

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 05:22:34 AM »
Cherie- I own the rights to the setting, the races, the concepts, etc., so no worries there :) I NEVER sell the intellectual property rights of my work, never a good idea if you plan on expanding for other venues or writing more books through different publishers.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
In that instance, I'd say to be sure to mention that.  Maybe try writing a query and send it to one of the sites where they break down and critique them.