Author Topic: Does the defender inflict stress on the attacker?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline wednesdayboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Does the defender inflict stress on the attacker?
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi all,
I'm very new to the DFRPG (we've only had two sessions so far) and I'm probably not going to use the exactly correct terminology for this question, so please bear with me.

I thought I read somewhere in the book that in some situations when a defender rolls to avoid an attack, if the defender's roll beats the attacker's roll the attacker takes the shift difference in stress damage.  (So if the attacker got a 5 and the defender got a 7, the attacker takes 2 shifts of stress.)  Sort of like it's a riposte.  I feel like it was described in one of the italicized example play sections but that's all that I remember.  It may have a narrow focus--only apply to certain situations or skills, require a supernatural power or mortal stunt, only used in a specific application of magic, etc.

Anywho, I'm having a devil of a time finding anything about it and I'm not sure if that's because of the (IMO) poor organization of the book or because I dreamed it up completely.  So I figured I'd turn to the experts--you guys!  If you have any insight, please let me know!  Thanks a ton!!

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Does the defender inflict stress on the attacker?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
The defender can't inflict stress on the attacker, unless he has a stunt (like riposte) to do so. I can't point you to a quote in the book, but a stunt like riposte wouldn't make sense, if you could do it for free.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline wednesdayboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
So are you saying "Riposte" is a mortal stunt in the book or such an action would require some sort of stunt?  (Sorry, I don't have my book with me to check on my own.)

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »
Yes, Riposte is a stunt.  Outside of a stunt or power no, defenders never inflict stress on attackers, not that this is ever stated explicitly. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »
yes, it is a weapons stunt, allowing exactly what you described when fighting with weapons. You can turn a successful defense roll into an attack by sacrificing your next action. (YS156)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
For fists attacks, you could make your own custom stunt. All you have to say is that it's riposte for fists and give it a new name.

Offline wednesdayboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
Ah, cool.  Thanks for all of the replies!  It's reassuring that I wasn't imagining things.  This time...