Author Topic: What power level and why?  (Read 3640 times)

Offline batmanjr

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: What power level and why?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
We are starting at Feet in the Water.

I did this for a few reasons.  We are playing in Portland, OR, and I have ideas as to what is out there.  I wanted the players to explore and discover aspects of the city, find out what is going on.

The first adventure will bring the players together and make them a team, whether they want to be or not.  I'm thinking that this first adventure when it is done, will also push them into the next level of power level.

My big concern was that none of us know the system so I wanted to start low and simple and get a feel for it first.  Also, I have some power gamers, and so I wanted the power to creep up on them so it will be tougher for them to just make ridiculous characters off the bat.

Funny thing is, I have a player who is volunteering to have his character killed in the first fight so as to sober everyone up that this is NOT a DnD campaign.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »

Funny thing is, I have a player who is volunteering to have his character killed in the first fight so as to sober everyone up that this is NOT a DnD campaign.

That is a fantastic idea!  I may have to do something similar!
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline batmanjr

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »
It's especially effective since nobody else knows that it is going to happen.

Offline riplikash

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »
As has been said, it is all about the feel you want.

For instance, in our group only two of us have read the books, and they wanted to take advantage of that fact to run a game where they play normal people who are introduced to the world of magic: a cop, a barista, a grad student, and a newly apprentice wizard. Each of them has something in their past that is bringing supernatural attention, and together they are trying to handle the new frightening world unfolding around them. Lots of corrupt politicians and underworld bosses who have found some supernatural benefactor to give them a helping hand. As the game has gone on they uncover more and more the real behind the scenes powers at work.

So we started at 6 refresh. However, I have them on an accelerated advancement scheme: 1 adventure per in game year, 1 major milestone per adventure (an adventure takes us 3-5 sessions).

You just need to decide as a group what feel you are aiming for. Buffy the vampire is going to be a low refresh game, eventually scaling up. Dresden files is obviously going to be a high refresh game. You get a very different experience depending on how you set it up.