Author Topic: Are there any guidelines for choosing your location in a modern story?  (Read 2944 times)

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
I have my characters ready for the most part, I'm forming the branches of baddies, friends, random extras, but the one thing I have left to decide on is where to place my story location wise. I would definately like to place it close to a city.

I was going to place in my own city, but is there any unspoken advice about using the city you live next to? If not I think it would be the easiest route, as doing research would be very simple for streets and places that my character would visit.

Now once you have the location down, what do you do about the stores, shops, and food places? For example if I wanted my characters to go to a bar to have a few drinks is it recommended that I create one rather than use a real location?

Offline cherie

• Conversationalist
  • @maooww
    • View Profile
There's an old adage 'write what you know', unless you completely create a city from scratch, you're best setting your writing somewhere you're at least familiar with.

I would be careful mentioning actual shops or bars, as I do recall the story of the owner of a fabric shop (?) that was featured in a novel trying to sue the author because they'd used it. I'm sure someone else will remember that and give more details, but I can't remember anything else about it at the moment? Though I would think a scene where your MC enjoys a drink or two would be acceptable, just don't make the barman an axe-wielding maniac!

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
But what if the bar man is an axe weilding maniac in real life?  ;D

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
But what if the bar man is an axe weilding maniac in real life?  ;D
Then I'd want to stay off his radar personally.   

The danger with setting it in a city where you live in is over-familiarity.  You want a place that you are familiar with so you can include a rich amout of detail, else your story feels flat.  But if you are too familiar with your setting, you can get all the details but start taking some of the big picture setting stuff for granted, which ends up leaving big honking holes in your decription. 

For example, you can always tell authors that actually live in New York.  It's such a microcosm that they can get every gritty detail of the subway or the corner deli, but will assume you are familiar with the street numbers, various neighborhoods and such enough to know automatically that its strange to go north of 151st street at night because its a rough neighborhood (dont quote me on that safety tip, Im not a new yorker) or that The Park is a vastly different place during the day vs at night. 

So basically it comes down to "Write what you know" but still remember to assume that your reader doesn't.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
Awesome advise Q thank you.  :D

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Related to this--is there someplace where I could ask for details for a particular location without sounding like a looney? Ex. "Please tell me where in NY a demon would be likely to frequent"? "What's the best place for a ghost to materialize in CA"?

And get the replies--

"Um, are you psycho"???
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Pick your state/city and then ask around.  :)
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Or in the Bar I guess.  I personally wouldn't think its weirdness too out of scale there :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I suppose if it's writing related I could always ask around Author Craft...wouldn't be off topic or anything, would it?
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
I can only tell you the criteria I used when I picked a city for my urban fantasy work:

1 - Name recognition. This can set the tone of the story from word 1.  Chicago has a gritty, windy, cold, sort of tough air to it.  I've never been, but knowing the books are set in Chicago means I have a certain mindset when I start to read the DF novels.  Set a novel in Santa Barbara, people are going to think warm, beachy things.  Set one in New York, it's all about fast-pace and expensive living next to ghetto living.  D.C. means politics and powersuits (I lived near there so I'd also think traffic jams and crime).  LA is about fake people and shallowness.  See what I mean?  The city itself should spark some instant vibe.  It may not always be the one you intend, mind you, but you can direct it some through your story, by what you choose to mention and emphasize.

2 - Places in the city appropriate to some of the scenes you want to write.  If you want to write about a major incident at an airport, you'll want to pick a city with a large airport in it or very close to it.  If you want a sea monster, you'll need a coastal city.  If you want a hurricane, it should probably be southeast.  That kinda thing.

3 - To tie into both 1 and 2, a variety of settings.  Most major cities will, but some of the smaller ones aren't as diverse.  New York has distinct neighborhoods, all with their own feel.  Chinatown vs. midtown.  Central Park.  Times Square.  There's a place for virtually anything you come up with while you write.  Want a conflict at a major sporting event?  Madison Square Garden.  Someone needs to get out of town quick?  Grand Central Station.  High class event?  Opening of a show at the Guggenheim.  It's all there, and the internet means these days you can get street-level pictures of anything via Google Maps, and that's assuming the places themselves don't have their own web page. 

4 - Distinct culture/flavor.  Sort of like #1, this will help you write the "feel" of the city, to help it be more real to your readers.  You can slip little tidbits in here and there without lecturing, and really enhance the overall impact of your scenes.  "The cabbie spoke about as much English as I did Pakistani, but he knew enough to get me to Lo Ping's place in record time, even through midtown traffic.  He used his horn more than his turn signal, but since that's about par for most cabbies, I didn't hold it against him. We skidded to a stop in front of a row of four-story brick buildings, all plastered with signs in at least three languages. I couldn't even see an address in the middle of the kaleidescopic Chinese characters, but I did recognize the five-foot spike of naked, crispy brown ducks next to the basket of live crabs, and knew I was in the right place."  That kinda thing.  Throw in some scents and sounds in an off-hand way, and you're golden.  You can do the same thing with a pier district, a ballpark, a ritzy subdivision, or a ghetto slum.  Distinct areas make for more evocative writing and thus more interesting reading.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any guidelines for choosing your location in a modern story?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »
LA is about fake people and shallowness. 

Now that's a bit harsh.  :D

But it does bring up another point. Any given city will mean different things to different people. A Wall Street big wig won't have the same view of NYC as a kid from Staten Island. New Orleans looks like one thing to someone from the Ninth Ward and another to old money from the Garden District.  LA could be full of shallowness - or it could be the most amazing place in the world if you catch a big break.

Try to give your city significance through the eyes of your main character. That's how you make it come alive.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any guidelines for choosing your location in a modern story?
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
  LA could be full of shallowness - or it could be the most amazing place in the world if you catch a big break.

Could even be East LA and be a gang operated inner city drug-scape.   You know, whatever works   ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/