Author Topic: Alien encounters  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Alien encounters
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »
I'm currently writing a scifi novel where humans make their first contact with an alien civilization my main character volunteers to be on of the citizen ambassadors for earth but i have found myself rambling on and on about his crappy normal day to day life and can't figure out how to have the aliens make contact with him so that its believable.

In my first draft i had one show up at his door step, i also had an idea of having them send a transmission through his computer of television. but I'm just stuck in a rut now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:37:56 PM by Mickey Finn »
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Alien incounters
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »
Have you built your alien's personality/culture yet?  Do they think and feel roughly as we do, or are their emotional/mental/cultural processes literally alien to human thought?  How they think, feel, and process info will determine who and how they choose to make contact.  What importance does their society place on different individual roles and professions?

Aliens might choose to contact, say, the secretary general of the UN as their research might lead them to think he's actually in charge.  Or they might filter things through their own cultural perceptions and contact they loudest talking guy with the most garish tie they see on our broadcasts and demand an audience with the owner of a discount used car lot in Pasadena.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Alien incounters
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
He's the first guy in the telephone book so he must be the most important
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Alien encounters
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:07:26 AM »
the alien civilization is actually comprised of several races, most of which i have fleshed out culturally. They are pretty similar to us in thought and emotion but still alien at the same time. They have also made contact with the world governments already and have been negotiating for over two years to indoctrinate earth into their civilization. part of those negotiations was to ask for a couple hundred volunteers to be civilian diplomats so that the Aliens can see how humanity might react to living as citizens of the galaxy.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Gaius Quartus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Alien encounters
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:18:53 PM »
If they are asking the world governments for volunteers, then it seems to me that the the world governments would gather these volunteers together in a set place to meet with the alien races.
Men Plan. Fate Laughs.