Author Topic: The 99 Cent Ebook  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
The 99 Cent Ebook
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
I came across an interesting article about how Ebooks are in a position to reshape the consumption of literature, much in same the way dime novels once brought reading out of a niche market and into low-priced mass popularity.  Here is an editorial from an author with a 99 cent book currently rated #1 on Amazon.  And here is one just taking a look at the math.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: The 99 Cent Ebook
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
And here's one talking about the misperceived "differences" between e-book and print-book pricing.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
OK, Your link is definitely more informative :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »
OK, Your link is definitely more informative :)

It was good to find some actual numbers, collated and organized, to replace my purely individual, anecdotal evidence.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:19:17 AM »
What helps with the link Shecky posted is that the guy who posted it was a literary agent until maybe 3 or 4 months ago.  And now he's also a published author.  So he's in a good position to comment on it.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:21:41 AM »
He's pretty much in a unique, more-qualified-than-most-professionals position.

Offline Piotr1600

• Posty McPostington
  • Not *quite* the Eye of Providence...
    • View Profile
    • Go For Throttle Up - Music you haven't heard
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:09:22 AM »
meg_evonne started a thread about the changing face of publishing that is pretty interesting:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24658.0.html

One of the things that will probably have to be differentiated  is ePub by a major house, versus ePub by a house in the middle sizes, versus small pub (bordering on vanity type publishing or the ebook equivalent)...

As you get smaller, the houses generally have less capability... This is actually following  pretty closely with what the music industry has done over the last decade or so.

Artist/Writer Development - gone
Advances - reduced (and constrained)
Editors - reduced or eliminated in favor of self-editing.
Marketing - reduced unless there is some known market
Advertising - reduced/eliminated

And as you look at reducing (or eliminating) those overhead costs, you begin to look at the ability to sell the final product for *much* reduced price and still maintain good dollar volumes, and profit margins...

Not disagreeing with the numbers you've posted Shecky, but that model is now, and will continue to be, under severe competitive pressure. Especially as the overall epub business reaches a nominal operating model of its own.  And eliminating overhead is *always* an approved method (even if it is done poorly, or in a shortsighted way.)
My band: http://www.soundclick.com/goforthrottleup -

The real problem with the shallow end of the gene pool is that it isn’t deep enough to allow the depth charges to arm. - By "Hardware" on Larry Correia's website.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:33:49 AM »
E-business being what it is, whole industries are in flux and will only accelerate their changes as we move forward. So what applies today may not apply tomorrow, as what applied yesterday most definitely does NOT apply as much today. The point was that a lot of people are making off-the-cuff assumptions about the industry that are, simply put, off base.

Offline Piotr1600

• Posty McPostington
  • Not *quite* the Eye of Providence...
    • View Profile
    • Go For Throttle Up - Music you haven't heard
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 04:39:07 AM »
E-business being what it is, whole industries are in flux and will only accelerate their changes as we move forward. So what applies today may not apply tomorrow, as what applied yesterday most definitely does NOT apply as much today. The point was that a lot of people are making off-the-cuff assumptions about the industry that are, simply put, off base.
Yup.

(Interestingly, regarding the parallels in the music industry side vs the book side is there is a huge divergence in concert tours. While never intended to be *unprofitable* in the past, they are now very much intended to be *really* profitable. I sort of wish there were a corresponding book model...)

My band: http://www.soundclick.com/goforthrottleup -

The real problem with the shallow end of the gene pool is that it isn’t deep enough to allow the depth charges to arm. - By "Hardware" on Larry Correia's website.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »
Yup.

(Interestingly, regarding the parallels in the music industry side vs the book side is there is a huge divergence in concert tours. While never intended to be *unprofitable* in the past, they are now very much intended to be *really* profitable. I sort of wish there were a corresponding book model...)

That would be nice, yeah.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »
I've actually read somewhere that the comparison to the music business is not really the best, and the comparison that should be made is to the changes in television.  If I think about it at lunch time, I'll try to find the link to the blog.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:40 PM »
All right Shecky you finally got me convinced with that article, its good to see the actual numbers. Of course I'm not going to be changing my tune, I will be grumbling for cheap ebooks the same way people grumble for free beer.  ;D
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 12:21:29 AM »
Landing, would you like to become one of my minions?
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »
would you like to became one of mine?  ;)
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline triple8

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »
So, does anybody have an idea if self-publishing on PubIt/B&N is better or worse than Kindle/amazon?
 :-\