Author Topic: Recovery Powers plus undead  (Read 2100 times)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Recovery Powers plus undead
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:27:47 PM »
The living dead power say you do not recover from concequences naturally but you also don't die, if you take a recovery power and the living dead power do  to you still get the adavantages of the recovery powers and heal concequences?
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
Re: Recovery Powers plus undead
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »
I'd say yes, because the Recovery power is, by definition, not natural.
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »
I would say no, because that would nullify a lot of Living Dead's negatives, and it makes being literally dead sort of moot, since it grows back.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:15 AM »
The living dead power say you do not recover from concequences naturally but you also don't die, if you take a recovery power and the living dead power do  to you still get the adavantages of the recovery powers and heal concequences?
Sure, you've paid the refresh for it.  However, I would change the trappings of the power to something that fits thematically.  Perhaps he sews himself back together rather than 'healing'...or it could be linked to some thematic requirement (The real reason zombies crave flesh!)...or something else entirely.  Just not 'healing' as a living being would.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Seb Wiers

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:22:05 AM »
The "Total ecovery" benefit of recovery powers would not apply: "you cannot  recover  from consequences with time, because your body does not regenerate."

The "Faster Recovery" benefit could; basically you'd be a lot easier to "patch up" (using taxidermy, etc).  But you still wouldn't heal automatically; it would just cause the injury to be as easy to repair as a lesser injury.

"Unfaltering" et al could easily apply; it just means you have supernatural stamina, totally fitting for the undead.

I'm not sure on "It's Nothing" et al.  On the one hand, it's pretty much a form or healing.  On the other, it has limits on what it can do, so it could easily represent being tough enough to get (say) you guts blasted out, then just tucking them back in and ignoring it.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:38:18 AM »
I suppose I could allways use the blade of the immortal example and say parasites are repairing an undead body as a justification for recovery powers.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »
Don't forget that there is going to be a Catch involved, so if the undead gets hit with its bane material, the Recovery power won't be working, and it really *will* be suffering from the limitations of the Living Dead power.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 01:30:27 AM »
I'd let it work. Recovery arguably makes you immortal anyway.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 02:15:03 AM »
Exactly what Sanctaphrax said. You buy the power, you get the power. Maybe you add the flavor of "if you sew your arm (or, yanno... an arm) back on it works again" or something akin to that, but supernatural recovery powers wouldn't be effected by the living dead limitation on natural recovery.
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 03:58:15 AM »
I have always envisioned a Living Dead with Recovery powers as similar to Spawn or the Crow. I would allow Recovery to work together with Living Dead, even the Total Recovery portions of Recovery powers.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:12:02 AM »
I was considering this as well for a character concept, but I was going for a different flavor. Besides the Catch (being fire), the character could only use ectoplasm to patch up his body. So either he'd have to lie in a puddle of it before it dissolves, or he'd have to be in the Nevernever. Of course, to make it interesting, he wouldn't have a power to ease a transition into the Nevernever. But, like most supernatural creatures, he could cross over in a place attuned to death or some such. (Are there any mechanics for that, btw?)

How does this sound for a recovery power? The idea behind it is that he somehow is a living soul/spirit trapped in a dead body, so when there is ectoplasm (spirit stuff) around, the spirit uses it to heal its shell.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »
But, like most supernatural creatures, he could cross over in a place attuned to death or some such. (Are there any mechanics for that, btw?)

Invocation of one's High Concept for effect, maybe a lore roll if one wanted to make it harder.

I have to agree with most. You buy the power, then you get the power. Consider that all of your powers need to be directly linked to (or explained by) your high concept, so if you have Living Dead and recovery, then it's gotta make sense somehow.