Author Topic: Summoning ectoplasm  (Read 1633 times)

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
Summoning ectoplasm
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »
Can't remember if I just glossed this over, but I don't recall any rules for summoning and forming ectoplasm, during some char creation sillyness my players had some really wacky ideas that seem almost doable under the rules. But I don't remember rules for ectoplasm, was it evocation? Thaumaturgy? Heres a couple ideas they ran by me.

Spiderman like ectoplasm slinging. All this would really be is forming a rope with ectoplasm spanning from your hand to where ever. I don't think it is too complicated.

Or an alternative to this batman grappling hook. actually having a bungee cord attached to your body and just using evocation to "throw" it a ways away hurling you with it.

One thing they haven't thought of is how to stop once they've flung themselves, but I'll let them know that once their face is in a wall.

Also one of the more wacky ideas was forming a gundam like construct of ectoplasm and then piloting it. Someone had the even more amazing notion of everyone having it in the form of ludicrous thaumaturgic spells and combining them into a megazord. Silly I know and I would never allow it, but I was still curious of it can be done in the system which would be AWESOME.

Also how would someone add flying powers to a construct?

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Summoning ectoplasm
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »
True Glamours give the power to form extoplasm into any item though it requires you to be a true fairy.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
Good call, but I recall some sorcerers in Our World being able to make entire constructs like scorpions entirely out of ectoplasm themselves. I think that was Thaumaturgy. But were their refresh levels also considered 10+ I wonder.

Offline stitchy1503

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »
The only thing i can think of (dont have the books infront of me at the moment) is the conjuration portion of thaumaturgy.
DV stitchy1503 v1.2 YR 8 FR2 BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL++ SW BC+ MC-- SH[murph+++ molly++ mavra----]

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
The inclusion of ectoplasm in a spell is mostly just a matter of fluff.  Design and cast the spell as per normal procedures.  If the concept of the spell necessitates that it create physical material, then that spell summons ectoplasm to fill that role.  No additional game mechanics involved.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:27 PM »
If this helps, there was a thread awhile back on Conjuration in which a few of us tried to hammer out some guidelines.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23624.0.html

devonapple got one of the threads I was planning to link to here, but I've still got something to add.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »
devonapple got one of the threads I was planning to link to here, but I've still got something to add.

I almost want to print up some commemorative t-shirts for that whole series of threads. ;)
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets