Author Topic: Offensive Defense  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Vine

• Participant
    • View Profile
Offensive Defense
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
I'm working on a character that uses a shield based on redirection to an extent that it might drive an incoming ranged attack into another nearby character.

I know the rules have the varient where a multiple turn shield can have the energy redirected into an attack if it hasn't been used as a shield that turn and then the shield comes down.  Does that seem to everyone to be the best way to handle something like this, so the shield would also have to be active at least two exchanges and be an exchange behind when it comes to redirecting or might there be a better way?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Offensive Defense
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »
Actually the thing with redirecting spell energies is that they can not have been used for their original purpose. So if it worked as a block (preventing the attack from hitting you) then you can't redirect it into an attack.

I can't honestly think of a way to do that by RAW. You could always just have a block and then attack people and have the flavor be that you're redirecting attacks, but that's not quite what you want, I'm sure.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
I suppose you could do something like a riposte power for magic, if you sacrafice your next turn your defense spell turns into an automatically sucessful offense spell.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
I'd say at a reduced shift value. Consider the riposte stunt is likely to give you a weapon:1-2 attack. A similar spell if directly applied is a weapon:4-6

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
Someone just reminded me of the spin rule, which you could use as well (I prefer the spin from SotC rather than Dresden), though I suppose it might be difficult to make a block capable of generating spin.

Offline Vine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:57:49 PM »
Just for an example for the riposte idea.
Let's assume a low-power character.
Four shifts of power in a shield.  Let's say the control roll was a 5.
What would the various attempts to riposte look like?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:16:14 PM »
Actually the thing with redirecting spell energies is that they can not have been used for their original purpose. So if it worked as a block (preventing the attack from hitting you) then you can't redirect it into an attack.

You can't have used it for the original purpose THAT exchange.  You could have in the previous exchange.  Going by the book's rules on initiative that means if someone higher than you on the initiative table attacks you and you block with your magic, then you can't turn it into an attack that round (and similarly you can't delay your action to go before them since they acted first).

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »
An example of riposting magic could be creating a deflector shield of +5 someone attack you with a +4 fire ball they would take the four damage the weapons rating of the deflected spell this could also work with bullets (weapons rating of the gun) though not with melee.   
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 12:10:39 AM »
Just for an example for the riposte idea.
Let's assume a low-power character.
Four shifts of power in a shield.  Let's say the control roll was a 5.
What would the various attempts to riposte look like?

Initiative:
Attacker
Wizard

Round 1: Attacker hits wizard, this is blocked by the shield, Wizard can't convert this round.
Round 2:  Attack misses wizard (without the wizard needing to use the shield), wizard converts the power into an attack (flavoring it as reflecting the attack energy, perhaps).

or...

Initiative:
Wizard
Attack

Round 1:  Wizard puts up shield, attacker would hit wizard but the shield blocks it.
Round 2:  Wizard converts shield into an attack, perhaps flavoring it as reflecting the attack energy.
Note:  In this instance it doesn't matter if the attacker forces the shield to be used or not, since the wizard always acts before him in a given exchange.

In both cases the wizard need some sort of justification based on the flavor of how the shield works for how he is converting it into an attack.

This is using initiative by RAW.

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
At the cost of extra refresh, you could probably rework a Sponsored Magic (Kem Lore probably the best bet) to work for Wards, so you can cast them with Evocation Speeds and Methods. Biggest difference between a Ward and a Block? The whiplash the attacker feels, if they fail to meet the Wards rating.

That, and if you got powerful enough, you could implement Landmines into the Wards at Evocation speed.

Of course, whether or not you could cast a Ward upon the area around you is debatable, even with such a power. But we know
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:01:21 PM by My Dark Sunshine »

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »
If it were modelled as sponsored magic, with a sponsor; they could easily take care of such things. Sort've like the Summer Court takes care of knowing the human body, for the purposes of biomancy.