Author Topic: Vampires Feeding on the Supernatural  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Vampires Feeding on the Supernatural
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
So... Can vampires feed on supernatural creatures, or mortals only?

For example, can a BCV feed off the blood of a RCV? Can a WCV feed off of a Nixie that mistakingly used her incite emotion to attract him, not knowing what he was?

This isn't just a philosophical question, actually. I have a WCV character being played in my game, and a pack of Nixies, not knowing what this particular PC is, but wanting to separate them, is planning on using glamour to disguise themselves as college girls, get them separated, and use her incite emotion to try and lure the WCV vampire to a watery death.

Problem is, of course, their incite emotion is based off of allure, beguiling, attraction, etc. I'm not sure how to adjudicate what would happen at that point.

However, it also makes a good philosophical question for the pack at large. Then again, maybe each vampire type has a different answer depending on the prey as well....

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires Feeding on the Supernatural
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:10:29 PM »
We know the Black Court can feed on the White Court (they were doing it to Lara in Blood Rites). I think a White Court Vampire could feed on a Nixie, but maybe institute a small penalty to rolls for it because they are not human, and are harder to drain.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
I say sure.  If something's got emotions, then a White Court Vampire can feed on it.  If something has human like blood, then a Red Court or Black Court Vampire can feed on it.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
I'm suddenly reminded of trinity blood, an anime where a certain type of vampire existed that fed on other vampires and had an enemy of my enemy thing going with humans.

It would occur to me though that anything a WCV's incite emotion worked on could in turn be fed upon. There should be some equality there.

As for bloodsuckers... I dunno the setting isn't detailed so far as to indicate comparisons of different species blood, although it would be interesting  if some species or sects of humanity evolved blood that didn't sit well with certain vamp types.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »
I would think WCVamps have the most restricted feeding of the vamps.  Blood is blood, although feeding off blood that becomes extoplasm or is tainted(ghouls) might be bad.  A WCvamp may not be able to feed off of Black Court Vamps due to lack of sex drive(Ms Ducks poetry aside)  Depression however might work but the lack of life force in the undead suggests no altogether.  The same goes for Red Court Vamps, do they have life force?  How about the Fey, they likely do, but is a soul life force?  I forget?

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
I would think WCVamps have the most restricted feeding of the vamps.  Blood is blood, although feeding off blood that becomes extoplasm or is tainted(ghouls) might be bad.  A WCvamp may not be able to feed off of Black Court Vamps due to lack of sex drive(Ms Ducks poetry aside)  Depression however might work but the lack of life force in the undead suggests no altogether.  The same goes for Red Court Vamps, do they have life force?  How about the Fey, they likely do, but is a soul life force?  I forget?

The only problem I see with vampires eating each other would be a RCV trying to feed off of a BCV.  No Blood = No Food.

I'm pretty sure that WCV can feed off of anything that has emotions and a BCV can feed off anything that has a lifeforce.  A WCV could eat a BCV but I'd give a House Raith or Skavis vampire a bunch of penalties to feed off of a BCV unless there were some very interesting aspects in place and they probably wouldn't enjoy the aspects they'd get afterward from eating necromatic energy.  As Bob put it in Grave Peril, "You are what you eat."

On the subject of eating fey, I think any of them could eat Fey but they could end up with some fey aspects.  See the Bob quote above.
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »
Vampires trying to a eat fairy would annoy the fairies respective court as the power of each fairy is tied up into the power of entire court itself and as we have seen in the novels anything that affects the balance of power in either court causes immediate bloody reprisals. Eating a Winter Fairy would to some degree literally be stealing power belonging to Maab nether a good idea.   
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
I think the vamps would know it is not food but the illusion of food.
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:59:20 PM »
Vampires trying to a eat fairy would annoy the fairies respective court as the power of each fairy is tied up into the power of entire court itself and as we have seen in the novels anything that affects the balance of power in either court causes immediate bloody reprisals. Eating a Winter Fairy would to some degree literally be stealing power belonging to Maab nether a good idea.   

Could they eat Wyldefey without worrying about politics?
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
Harry repeatedly mentions the White Court feeding off of life force through those emotions, not the emotions themselves.  Which means that there has to be life force to feed off of.  Undead seem unlikely to have actual Life Force, and definitely less than a human.  Might actually be a great way to really quickly kill a Black Court Vamp...  I would still not let them feed off of BC Vamps.  Red Court have emotions and are alive if not human.  Can a WC vamp feed off of animals?  Imagines a Skavis torturing a puppy and his PC's reactions...  

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »
Harry repeatedly mentions the White Court feeding off of life force through those emotions, not the emotions themselves.  Which means that there has to be life force to feed off of.  Undead seem unlikely to have actual Life Force, and definitely less than a human.  Might actually be a great way to really quickly kill a Black Court Vamp...  I would still not let them feed off of BC Vamps.  Red Court have emotions and are alive if not human.  Can a WC vamp feed off of animals?  Imagines a Skavis torturing a puppy and his PC's reactions...  

Probably would have less of a reaction than a Raith feeding off a puppy...

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 08:44:31 PM »
Since WCVs can use their powers on other WCVs, and Thomas can use his on Lydia while she's possessed by the Nightmare, I'd imagine they could feed on anything at least part-human ... Denarians, changelings, Red Court infected, yes, but not full on demons, fae, Red Court Vampires.