Author Topic: Is it possible to write a novel with three different points of view?  (Read 5823 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to write a novel with three different points of view?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 02:48:26 PM »
Yes, but probably not for a new writer unless you are looking at the work as a learning device. :-) 

I don't tend to throw books, wait--just last week...  well, book-a-cide aside. It's tough dude and do you really really know the differences between point of view, do your really know how to write different voices well enough that the reader can clearly tell who is speaking? Very advanced workshop stuff there.

Yet, it is your work and for your pleasure--do as you wish.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »
My current ready-to-query work has one primary POV in first person, and a secondary, less frequent POV in third person, with a distinct (though hopefully not jarring) change in tone.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »
Liz, I'm about 2/3s of the way through your Crooks Behaving Badly.  I think you've got your finger on what works. *smiling*
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 09:51:24 PM »
Liz, I'm about 2/3s of the way through your Crooks Behaving Badly.  I think you've got your finger on what works. *smiling*
Ohh, I hope so, thanks!  You had me a little worried the other day when you mentioned throwing a book across the room. ;D
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »
I'm doing something similar to Jim's Codex.... I've picked 3 different characters to tell the story from. I want one of them to be a villain but I'm worried that his POV will give away too much of the story. I'm still working on how to solve this actually.

But I'm sticking with the "one viewpoint a chapter" thing. Its worked well so far.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 04:56:11 AM »
Liz, definitely not yours. I will refrain from mentioning titles.  I can say however that I've been a solid print book buyer since Borders continually sends me 40% off coupons. So often that I hold off buying until they show up in my e-mailbox. Yet, I feel so burned when a book doesn't measure up and I paid good money for it.

I'm oh so close to buying a kindle for authors that are new to me. Cheaper books, more free chapters, and then maybe I won't feel ripped off.  I'm going through YAs with incredible speed to see what the market is. I can't tell you the number of times  I get 1/3 to a 1/2 way through and then want to toss them away. Instead, I donate them to the library, which I hate since it promotes a book that I really felt fell way short of where it should have been. Let's face it, I EXPECT MORE FROM THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY when they want me to chug out 20 bucks after discount for a hardcover.

I can't believe I just admitted that I might, just might, get a kindle... *sigh* what is my world coming to...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:58:16 AM by meg_evonne »

Offline Ladyeshu

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
Be an actor for a day. Take a few scripts (or books from 1st POV) and read them out loud to yourself (or a friend who won't think you're weird). Try using different voices for the characters. Make your voice high or low, grovelly (did I spell that right); speak fast, slow, according to how you think that person might sound.

It will help you get some perspective on how you'd like your own characters to sound. I throw in accents on my own characters in my head.

This Idea doesn't work for everyone but it may be the thing you need to help make each character and chapter special.  :)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 03:32:25 AM »
Before you do anything else, read the textbook example of this idea of multiple 1st Person POVs expertly executed: 
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner.

59 chapters, each one labelled after one of the book's 15 Narrators.

15!

1 Narrator has Clairvoyance, since he can tell what other people are thinking and can see events in other places as they are happening

and 1 Narrator is dead....

It's also hilarious(if you can keep up with the language.) It has some of the funniest, most pitch-black humor involving a family from the Deep South I've ever read and it's not a shallow book. It goes over all sorts of social and metaphysical topics.

For what you are talking about doing, read this book. If you've already read it, read it again.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 03:08:23 AM »
Before you do anything else, read the textbook example of this idea of multiple 1st Person POVs expertly executed: 
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner.

59 chapters, each one labelled after one of the book's 15 Narrators.

15!

Anyone else read Geoff Ryman's 253 ?

253 characters. 253 words each.  All on a London Underground train.  The action of the novel covers two and a half minutes.  There is no way in hell it should work as having plot tension and revelation and pacing and so on like a more normal novel, but it does anyway. Astounding piece of work.

(It can be read online, but it's full of thematic hyperlinks and so forth, which while neat, kind of undercut the impact of the amazing stuff it is doing if you read it in order.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »
http://storiesonstage.org/larrypaulsen.aspx

Larry is a friend and I sadly missed his performance of 39 Steps, which is four actors playing tons of parts, at the Denver Center Theatre Company last fall. I can only hope we get another chance to see it, as it was a blockbuster and made money in a down economy.  I ditto above. Books, shows like these help get your mind around voice that will help keep the three points of view distinct.

How is it coming, btw?

Offline Sean 'Bjørn' Blackstone

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »
George R.R. Martin did it in A Song Of Ice And Fire series.
"This stuff right here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 01:17:51 AM »
Martin's series is written in third person. My favorite explanation of 3rd POV (he, his, she, hers, etc) is that of a camera lens that looks over the shoulder, indeed even inside the minds if desired, of different characters, changing from one person to another with ease. Then you can pan it in and pull it out for differing views, for building and releasing tension, as well.  This might be what Rod decides to use. It is the more traditional path.  An example would be seeing a desert from above, like a bird, that then dives down toward a racing rider on horseback, floating behind as you feel the dirt and sand kicked in your face, then moving to inside the rider feeling the damp sweaty horse between his legs, hear the hoofbeats, smell the blood seeping from a shoulder wound.  You've moved from unattached in the sky to inside the body of the rider.  Actually as I re-read that first part, I envision the Firefly coming down for the Great Train Robbery.  LOL. It's a well used device.

His question refers to using more than one 1st POV (I, me, mine) and alternating them, since Rod feels that is Rod's natural writing strength. 1st allows you ONLY to be in one character's mind, see what that character sees, feel what that character feels.  1st can be challenging as well. Notice how JB is limited to what Harry knows.  The reader never knows anything that Harry doesn't--unless we're guessing. The difficult part is when you have two intensely internal story lines that you want to mesh at some point in the story. It ain't possible in 1st without a shift into the 2nd character. Thus the dilemma Rod must face.

Multi-1st POV is used far less frequently than 1st or 3rd.

Many writers struggle with POV issues, and making that decision is huge and not easily made. Errors halfway through (one author had to completely write from one POV to another for a publisher, which is not an easy task)  are costly in time and effort.

Does that make sense? Hopefully, I haven't mis-read Rod's initial question.

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
No Meg you pretty much nailed it.  :) I was speaking of first person multi-characters.

I have found the posts very helpful though. From the day I originally posted this topic I have found some good answers and ideas on what to do with the book I was thinking of using multiple arcs on. It may just be best and less confusing for the reader if I keep it to 1 person. The story that I had which this problem occured has been placed on hold somewhat. It's a very large scale fantasy multi-story series and would require a lot of attention and detail, which I unfortunately don't have the time for.

The current ideas I have now, inlcuding the book I'm writing, are stars far more reachable. However if there ever comes a time I'm published and my books sell well I will return to it.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
It might be worth noting Robert Silverberg's <I>The Book of Skulls</i> as a rather excellent novel written in four 1st-person POVs.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.