Author Topic: Stun?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
Stun?
« on: February 25, 2011, 03:16:56 AM »
I finally, finally, got my hands on the DFRPG and have been burning through YS and trying to wrap my head around such a radically different system.  There have been a few questions that have popped up, but on that I'm not sure how to answer yet is a stunned character.

If someone gets hard enough to make the pause, like by a Taser, do you count that as a type of Maneuver that needs to be overcome before they can act again?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: Stun?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »
I would do it as a block using the weapons skill.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline danthehut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 03:35:21 AM »
I would think it would be more like being taken out, although i could see it being a maneuver that puts an aspect of "stunned" on them.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:37:08 AM »
This can be done 3 ways.

1.  A block on all actions.
2.  An attack that Takes Them Out and the attacker determines they don't die (this could cause consequences though if the defender decides to take consequences).
3.  A maneuver which is then tagged as an Invoke for Effect which causes a compel -- this is probably the worst way to go since a compel isn't supposed to dictate a specific course of action, but rather just create a difficulty.  Being unable to do anything for a couple exchanges is possibly too much...not sure.  Also, the duration seems unclear.

I think 1. and 2. are the best ways to go.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:46:12 AM »
A taser can be any number of things.  The simplest is a maneuver; put the aspect "tazed" on them, and then invoke-for-effect to trigger a compel - a fairly reasonable compel being "You can't act this exchange."  Of course, this feeds them a fate point, but them's the breaks.

The other option (and the one a PC in my game went with) is for it to just be a straight up attack spell - damage, weapon rating, and all.  It's just that the consequences from it are things like "Tazed" (usually a minor) up through "cardiac arrhythmia" (an extreme consequence), and with take-out results that are generally non-lethal (assuming no prior heart conditions in the target).

A block probably isn't the best way to go, simply because it can be overcome by any skill, depending on what the person being blocked decides to do.  (For example, you set up a tazer-based block with a value of, say, 4, and it'll break if the guy tries to intimidate you and gets a 5 on intimidate.  I mean, it's workable, but the mechanics feel kinda silly to me.  Though, for something that's actually a block on all actions, see the grapple rules, or the example spell "Orbius" on YS294-295.)