Author Topic: New Aspiring Writer Joining Your Ranks!  (Read 2079 times)

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
New Aspiring Writer Joining Your Ranks!
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »
Hi, I'm Tom and I'm an alch...I mean an aspiring writer. I'm a huge Jim Butcher fan. I was never a huge book person. Usually I just don't have the patience and attention to sit down and really read for a long periods of time. The Dresden Files changed that. I currently am reading the series from start to finish for my third time waiting for Ghost Story.

Anyway, one thing I always thought I had was a great imagination, and a few years ago I started putting together ideas for a story of my own. I have no writing experience or anything, but just recently I finished putting together what I think would be three very good stories. The problem is picking one and writing just that one (Everytime I go to my wife with a new idea she smacks me upside the head and tells me to just write one for now lol).

My first story, one I've been mentally putting together for years now is a mixture of sci fi and fantasy, think King Arthur in the 25th Century maybe lol.

My second story is a space one. There is so much out there already in terms of sci fi but my idea is a first person perspective with a crew member thats only just begun his career aboard a city sized starship.

My third one I just begun the planning process but it's a modern day supernatural tale. There are a ton of these as well but again I think I have a decent twist on it to make it original.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself. Up until now I've only been able to discuss ideas and get feedback through my wife and one friend who is also writing, but I was very excited when I saw this board, what better place to talk to other aspiring authors and get some Butcher news at the same time!

See you around! ;D

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New Aspiring Writer Joining Your Ranks!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
Hi Tom! Welcome!

If you're into sci-fi, I'd like to suggest the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold to you. It's always a good idea to read widely if you want to be a writer, and I heard that JB is also a big fan of Bujold's writing.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I'll definately check out Bujold!

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
Fair warning though - don't judge these books by their covers. The art's kinda...special.  :D
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
Special is what people say when they mean either weird for moronic.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11:50 PM »
Yup, that's about right.

The books are awesome, the covers...less so.

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:31:40 PM »
Hahaha! I was looking at some of the books on Amazon and saw the covers! My thought was "WTF?!" Haha!

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 12:25:23 AM »
They're put out by Baen.  I've noticed the coverart for pretty much all of those is....special.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
Welcome Tom.  Put your feet up, settle your laptop on your knees, and hit the keyboard with us.

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess