Author Topic: Statting a Warhammer 40K Space Marine  (Read 1196 times)

Tbora

Statting a Warhammer 40K Space Marine
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:22:49 AM »
Any ideas?

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Statting a Warhammer 40K Space Marine
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:29:57 AM »
Would a Space Marine have Toughness Powers or simply have Hulking Size because they are 9 feet tall and made of muscle?

If they have Toughness powers, what would be their Catch? Or is it simply unknowable as they were designed by an immortal genius who wouldn't make their weaknesses well known and you're stuck using heavy artillery (granted, there are likely places in WH40K where you could get that at your corner grocery store)

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:21:29 AM »
Check with Hoyled. He is a 40K player and already did a number of them.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Hoyled

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:14:30 AM »
Ive actually got a system for converting 40k stats into basic Dresden abilities using certian values as the base line for having powers. Remember this is in- universe and the Dresden system only has three levels of strenght speed toughness and recovery. This means that something as epic as space marines seem to have a rather mediocre set of powers, but thats do to having to have tyranid behemoths and c'tan gods to work into the same power system. So heres a rough 40k space marine

Space Marine
-1 hulking size
-1 Supernatural senses
-2 Inhuman Recovery
IOP Power Armor +2
-2 inhuman strenght
-2 Inhuman Toughness
It is what it is- armor 4
 Basic Gear
bolter weapon4 30 shot clip or bolt pistol weapon 4 10 shot clip and chainsword weapon3
grenades weapon 4 zone wide
Throw in  gun and weapon stunts, apropriate for an extremely trained warrior whos been fighting and training for decades if not centuries. Skills should favor  high weapons, guns, conviction, might , and fists.

So essentially the gear stunts and skills make the hero in 40k. An ork boy has  a similar power set but its lacking the armor and quality weapons and high skill set. Translating this to actual Dresdenverse is a challenge i havent gotten to yet.
"I'm Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp do oonuverse flat an' kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz' we're Orks an' we was made ta fight an' win."

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:20:20 AM »
Ive actually got a system for converting 40k stats into basic Dresden abilities using certian values as the base line for having powers. Remember this is in- universe and the Dresden system only has three levels of strenght speed toughness and recovery. This means that something as epic as space marines seem to have a rather mediocre set of powers, but thats do to having to have tyranid behemoths and c'tan gods to work into the same power system. So heres a rough 40k space marine

You could always make more levels for those powers.  Well, perhaps hard to go beyond Mythic Recovery, but toughness and strength are easily adjusted.  Hmm, that might make recovery too cheap though.  I guess it depends on how much weaker than Space Marines things get.