Author Topic: Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:06:59 AM »
Reposted from my London Calling thread, but I wanted to throw this book out there as a general resource, and not only if you're setting a game in London; the setting is very Dresden-like and there's plenty of ideas to steal and pilfer. If you ARE setting a game in London, there's plenty of ideas for locations, slang and plenty of juicy tidbits about the Metropolitan Police to nick.

Good stuff - two thumbs up!

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:36:50 PM »
Sounds interesting.  The US title is Midnight Riot apparently.

Looks more enjoyable than what I am currently reading (the Emberverse books...quitting the series when I finish the third book though as I hate it).

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
I'm reading it again to pick up on the details I missed the first read through. The city really is a character in and of itself - its very nicely sketched out, and not in overwhelming detail. Can't wait for the second one (Moons Over Soho, not sure what the US title will be for that... and why do they change them anyways? I thought Rivers of London is much more descriptive than Midnight Riot)

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
I'm reading it again to pick up on the details I missed the first read through. The city really is a character in and of itself - its very nicely sketched out, and not in overwhelming detail. Can't wait for the second one (Moons Over Soho, not sure what the US title will be for that... and why do they change them anyways? I thought Rivers of London is much more descriptive than Midnight Riot)

Sanely enough, the next book is "Moons Over Soho" in America as well.  I have no idea why they changed the title on the first book.  Perhaps they think Americans don't want to read something with "London" in the title?  Some stupid marketing reason, I am sure.