Author Topic: Plot Inspiration: Garage Sale from Hell  (Read 2232 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Plot Inspiration: Garage Sale from Hell
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
I found this resource on the RPGnet forums, and felt it would be useful for Dresden game planning:

The Garage Sale from Hell: What happens to the belongings of an evil cultist who dies a respected member of the community, his crimes never known to the mortal authorities, and his actual home never identified by the heroes who killed him? An estate sale!

This page features community-submitted items with detailed descriptions (click "Visit Submission" for details on each item).
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Warpmind

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Plot Inspiration: Garage Sale from Hell
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »
Yes, oh, yes, a thousand times yes! :D
...You know the character is special, when reloading his frying pan is the right thing to do in a battle on the high seas...

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
Ooh, that sounds like a very fun plot device, and since you don't know how many items have gotten out, you can make this thing reoccurring for about as long as you want!

I think an old fashioned watch that can steal time would be an interesting item.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
Ooh, that sounds like a very fun plot device, and since you don't know how many items have gotten out, you can make this thing reoccurring for about as long as you want!

I think an old fashioned watch that can steal time would be an interesting item.

Like the old "Friday the 13th" series!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »
Like the old "Friday the 13th" series!

You beat me to it.

All of those items, each having a power - but each demanding a price.  That was a great concept for a show.

Richard

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:46:17 PM »
You could have an Aladdin's Lamp, one that houses a spirit in much the same way Bob has his skull or the Fallen have their coins.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:27:44 PM »
Updated for the oughts...

A cell phone that can only call one number; a phone service.  The operator can put the caller in touch with anyone from history, and will suggest who might have useful advice for a situation if the caller mentions their problem.  Basically, a free-tag Aspect for any one situation.  (You only gte one question per call.)
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
Erich Zann's Greatest Hits! A CD of classical music featuring an outstanding Viol soloist on every track. The jewel case lists only 12 tracks, but there's a final, hidden, 13th track that starts three minutes and thirty-three seconds after the end of the 12th. Playing the CD through to the end of the hidden track may well constitute a break of the 7th Law and warrant a visit from your local Warden and/or the Gatekeeper.
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
If a garage sale, why not a flea market?  More horrifying, make it an indoor flea market like "The Dirt Mall" in Mall Rats.  I can see that being a convenient venue for low end practioners and providers of icksome magic, as well as magical predators.

*Just had a vision of a desperate Nic with his unwelcome abundance of unhosted coins setting up a table, finding a host for a coin then wailing in horror as the new, prospective host walks over to one of those vending machines that mashes the coin flat while imprinting some kitschey phrase into it...*

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
ROFLMAO - I JUST ran this scenario in my last DFRPG session!
In my game it was the estate sale of a recluse who had died under "Mysterious Circumstances"...i.e. he was a Red Court Vampire who was destroyed after "Changes". Amongst the quasi-mystical artifacts were a large number of actual and dangerous items that prompted the characters to call in what White Council contacts they could to get everything locked down.
Amongst the items several had already been sold and were long gone and a few others of interest were still there;
- "The Nine Gates"; a book (sold to parties unknown; future plot device)
- "The Fourth Nail"; believed to be the unused Nail of the Cross (sold to parties unknown; future plot device)
- "Du Svardenvyrd"; book of the Mad Prophet Nisses (future plot device)
- Shrunken Head of Hernan Cortez, the Conqueror of Mexico (Gifted to a Vodoun Bokor the group knows as payment for services/favors)
- French Musketeer's Rapier (Warden Sword of the missing Warden of Miami); the sword was actually the important item here as it eventually lead to their rescue of the missing Warden.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »
"The Nine Gates"; a book (sold to parties unknown; future plot device)

I enjoyed both the book and the movie. When I saw this thread, I was going to put The Nine Gates in my game.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
*Just had a vision of a desperate Nic with his unwelcome abundance of unhosted coins setting up a table, finding a host for a coin then wailing in horror as the new, prospective host walks over to one of those vending machines that mashes the coin flat while imprinting some kitschey phrase into it...*

I really want to see Harry do this, especially if he can do it in front of one of the bigger Denarians
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »
OMG yes, epic!