Author Topic: Discworld's Dis-Organizer And The Trouser Legs Of Time  (Read 1005 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Discworld's Dis-Organizer And The Trouser Legs Of Time
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:52 PM »
So, recently reread Jingo, and I had a thought (ouch); the Dis-Organizers are definitely Items of Power; you lose free will when you own them, and they can do all sorts of wondrous things. In this case, having been asked to keep track of his future appointments, the Dis-Organizer does so.  And then, in a bit of quantum, is accidentally picked up by the wrong Vimes at the moment of a major decision.  For the rest of the book, the Dis-Organizer informs an increasing confused Vimes about what his alternate self is doing--the one that made the other choice. It ends with "To Do Today: Die."

Now, this is a very silly power, and borderline breaks the 6th Law, but... how would you all design such a power for the Dresdenverse?  ;D
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Discworld's Dis-Organizer And The Trouser Legs Of Time
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:05 AM »
This falls into the same basic problem as every time-altering or future-predictive device: it works better in single-author fiction than a multiple-author game.  Still, it's a neat toy; I'd probably work it as a combination of Cassandra's Tears and Guide My Hand - albeit without the "nobody will believe me" aspect of the former, and probably without use-conviction-in-place-of-any-skill of the latter.

And if they roll a -4 on trying to make a future-predicting declaration, then they picked up the dis-organizer from the wrong trouser of time and you get to have fun describing the worst case scenario for an alternate life that you can come up with - though they do get their refresh from the item back.  ("Things to do today: devour the darkhallow and kill 12,144 people, including [insert names of rest of party here]")