Author Topic: Finding motivation?  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
Finding motivation?
« on: March 31, 2007, 07:01:54 AM »
Ever find it a hard time motivating yourself?

I guess for me I just can't seem to find the motivation to keep going in what I started right now. Between some long-term fanfics and my novel I can't seem to be able to focus anymore. I don't know if it's the issue that my computer screwed up a lot of the docs or my inspiration dried up and died in a corner but one way or another I can't seem to make myself write it. I've done lots of things from listening to music to sidetracking to other things but it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect.

Out of curiousity, what do you do to motivate yourself when things seem to die down?

Offline Belial

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Finding motivation?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 07:40:22 AM »
Really it comes down to this (in my opinion): There's the easy way, and there's the efficient way.

The easy way is to wait till inspiration hits you; however this could be days, weeks, or even months. And I can almost guarantee you that during all this time you'll feel guilty about not writing. So although it's the "easy" way, it really isn't a good way (but hey, who ever said that writing was easy?)

Now, for the efficient way; sit down at the computer (or a typewriter, or with a pen and paper, whatever) and start grinding something out. It probably won't be your best work, but it'll get you started towards getting to interesting and exciting stuff again, and afterwards you can always go back and polish that section up, or re-write it. When you're forced to grind it out, I often find it best to have a daily quota, it doesn't have to be a big one, but there should be a goal you want to reach for. Importantly, this has to be a realistic quota; although you might be able to grind out three thousand words on a good day, will you be able to do that everyday? So instead something along the lines of 500 to 1000 (I don't know how fast you write, so this is really up to you.)

I will admit that the efficient way is not a fun way, but it does get things done, and afterwards you'll feel relieved to be past that part and on to new things. 

A good link to other ideas on the subject: http://www.sfwa.org/writing/strategies.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 07:42:05 AM by Belial »

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 01:38:05 PM »
Reading always gets my mind primed.  When I'm stumped I usually read something for an hour or so, and by then my brain is limbered up and nearly every time I think of some new idea that gets me excited again.

Right now my motivation is stifled by real life.  Since I'm not yet a professional writer, I have to pay attention to my three other jobs for income, and it's taking up all my time.  And I can't write when my mind is on all that other crap.  Plus I'm moving in a couple of weeks.  A lot of outside distractions that I can't seem to ignore for even a few hours.  Once I get all this outside work finished, though, I should be able to get back on track.

I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Drew

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • www.DrewHenriksen.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 03:26:56 PM »
Ever find it a hard time motivating yourself?

Out of curiousity, what do you do to motivate yourself when things seem to die down?

The fact that I want the story done.  Its not going to write itself, so I make myself sit in front of the comp and if I only get a paragraph done, it makes me closer to my goal.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:51:42 PM »
Now, for the efficient way; sit down at the computer (or a typewriter, or with a pen and paper, whatever) and start grinding something out. It probably won't be your best work, but it'll get you started towards getting to interesting and exciting stuff again, and afterwards you can always go back and polish that section up, or re-write it.

Agreed in general, with the caveat; forcing yourself to write something you know isn't ready can kill it for good. If you have to grind, grind on something else.

Me, I write one evening a week, normally Friday, from the time I get in from work and have dinner, until I've got at least half a chapter done.  I very rarely start later than 6.30 or finish earlier than 11.30.  Been doing this every weekend excepting extreme circumstances [ being landed taking care of a small baby with ill parents is an extreme circumstance.  Breaking your arm is an extreme circumstance.  Not feeling like it isn't an extreme circumstance ].for eleven years. It may not have made me a career as a novelist but the words are there on the page, lots of them.  Putting distraction aside is a goodly chunk of the battle.

Also, I bribe myself with chocolate-coated ginger.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »
My motivation comes in spurts. Like tonight I'm online writing about writing instead of actually doing any writing. I read in a book some where or other that writers will do any thing to avoid actually writing. I need a room with a straight backed chair, computer and no internet. Oh and I should probablly have a bull ring in my nose chained really close to the desk so I can't wander off at the first shiny object I see.