Author Topic: FATE style Star Wars  (Read 4740 times)

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
FATE style Star Wars
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »
Title gives the gist of it..  I'm thinking of working on trying to make a Star Wars game, using the FATE system.  Been looking way too much into the movies, KOTOR 1 & 2 and the new MMO coming out this year, Star Wars: The Old Republic for my own good, and I can't help but attempt to do so...

My big question, is do you think the DFRPG version of FATE is a good starting point, or would it be better to look at some of the other versions of FATE as well or instead?
my 2 cents

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
Re: FATE style Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
I think that FATE would be an excellent system, and that DFRPG would be a good base, but you should also steal from SotC. :D

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
Throw in some Stunts from SotC, definitely.

The evocation rules and "Lawbreaker" stunt could easily be adapted to be Force Powers and "Darksider." In most cases it'd just be a matter of re-naming them.

Depending on how detailed you want Force Powers to be, you could either rule that Force-users can basically take Channeling (The Force) as a power, or re-name Channeling "The Force" and allow it to be bought as three seperate elements: Sense, Control, Alter.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
I think force powers should probably be based of empathy rather than anything else or you could create a 'use the force skill', there are at least two pre-existing fate star wars hacks though finding them is difficult.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
For Star Wars, I would use Legends of Anglerre with help from Starblazer Adv.

The Force could be handled nicely with the power skills.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
How would refresh work, though?

Sith still have free will and could easily be playable characters.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
Thanks all for the advice so far ^^

I wasn't sure if i wanted to come up with a whole new skill for force powers or not...

While walking down the isle of Kroger, I was thinking to myself that Conviction could technically work just as well for Force powers... But then I thought thats actually kinda antithesis to the true Jedi Code, and that Discipline would be more in line, with Conviction being lower, while being the opposite for a Dark Side Force User, having a lower Discipline and less control over their emotions, as that is what truly fuels their power, while having a very powerful conviction in their actions, ideals, and belief in themselves.

While this is a prototype kinda rough draft, I think I may like the idea of using something similar to this...  It just feels right that force users would draw from separate skills to use the force, and such...

And another thing I was liking was the thought of keeping the refresh the same way...  While someone may fall to the influence of the Dark Side of the Force, as long as they keep a positive refresh, they could attempt to balance them selves out, and at least be "human" enough to be players..  But if they were to fall too far into the Dark Side, as to cause them to go into negative Refresh then well....  We all know where I'm going with that, hehe...

Another idea I was toying with, but have NO clue how to actually get it working..  A basic kinda idea, of creating temporary refresh for powerful acts of the Force, something that would normally draw a person off the deep end, but the surges being something that both protects, and ultimately has deeper consequences upon the player...  Most likely someone drawing too deeply upon the Dark Side of the Force for an act far greater then they could normally achieve, but actually drawing the Force into themselves, to act, before it leaves them again, changed and altogether different then before.  I dunno, like i said, just a rough idea, one I think I like the concept of, just not even sure how to follow it...
my 2 cents

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:12:44 PM »
Im a huge fan of Star Wars, and I played Star Wars Saga edition before and it was awesome. So I would be very interested to see your idea developed. So please keep posting the ideas you have ;)

DFRPG would be a good starting point, but you should look into SoTC 8)
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »
I've been throwing around this idea since I got the Dresden Files RPG core books. Everything seems like it would be easy enough to do, just have to work out a few mechanical problems with the Force.

Personally to me, if you think of the Force as neither good nor bad and all Force users the same, you don't need to change any mechanics for most abilities, just use Evocation rules. Just like all Wizards in DFRPG use the same skills to do the same things (whether for good or evil), the Jedi and Sith are the same way. Sure, they choose not to use certain abilities because of their code, but there have been exceptions to that rule, specifically Sith Lightning and the ability Electric Judgement used by a Jedi Council member. Both do the same thing, you just come at it from different points of view. You can even use Thaumatury rules for certain meditative abilities.

Personally, I don't like the idea of using Refresh to denote whether you are light side or dark side. Use aspects for that since it's more of a philosophical view point. It seems like you're trying to draw too much from WEG Star Wars, but Fate doesn't really work in that light exactly. Set your Refresh level and have to leave at least 1 Refresh for whatever your level is. Changing those rules just seems like a way to complicate things.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
my 2 cents

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »
Another link to someone doing a Star Wars conversion for Fate:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=434902

Kiero uses SW Saga edition as his inspiration.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
I've been throwing around this idea since I got the Dresden Files RPG core books. Everything seems like it would be easy enough to do, just have to work out a few mechanical problems with the Force.

Personally to me, if you think of the Force as neither good nor bad and all Force users the same, you don't need to change any mechanics for most abilities, just use Evocation rules. Just like all Wizards in DFRPG use the same skills to do the same things (whether for good or evil), the Jedi and Sith are the same way. Sure, they choose not to use certain abilities because of their code, but there have been exceptions to that rule, specifically Sith Lightning and the ability Electric Judgement used by a Jedi Council member. Both do the same thing, you just come at it from different points of view. You can even use Thaumatury rules for certain meditative abilities.

Personally, I don't like the idea of using Refresh to denote whether you are light side or dark side. Use aspects for that since it's more of a philosophical view point. It seems like you're trying to draw too much from WEG Star Wars, but Fate doesn't really work in that light exactly. Set your Refresh level and have to leave at least 1 Refresh for whatever your level is. Changing those rules just seems like a way to complicate things.

Well, I wasn't thinking of having a lower refresh causing you to go more and more Dark Side... I was just thinking of the fact a Dark Side character could be playable, BUT, if they go too far off the reservation, and allow the Dark Side to completely consume them, IE 0 or negative refresh, it will destroy them...

Now that I think about it, the rules for gaining new powers include the ability to gain them in play.  You have to pay for it in both Refresh, and in Fate Points, and a story driven reason to go farther.  But what if the Dark Side was easier and such as well?  Rather then having to pay for the power or whatever in question in Fate Points, you instead get it for "free", still tac off the Refresh though of course...  But you instead get some nasty Dark Side Compels for later evil...  I don't know, maybe something along those lines would be interesting...

The basic idea is to make the Dark Side overall both more appealing to the unwise, as well as more easy for the desperate and deceived to attain...
my 2 cents

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »
I know everybody has been saying that you should use DFRPG and steal from SotC but I would actually go the other way around. SotC is way more cinematic so I'd go with that and just steal the supernatural aspects of DFRPG.

Well, I wasn't thinking of having a lower refresh causing you to go more and more Dark Side... I was just thinking of the fact a Dark Side character could be playable, BUT, if they go too far off the reservation, and allow the Dark Side to completely consume them, IE 0 or negative refresh, it will destroy them...

Now that I think about it, the rules for gaining new powers include the ability to gain them in play.  You have to pay for it in both Refresh, and in Fate Points, and a story driven reason to go farther.  But what if the Dark Side was easier and such as well?  Rather then having to pay for the power or whatever in question in Fate Points, you instead get it for "free", still tac off the Refresh though of course...  But you instead get some nasty Dark Side Compels for later evil...  I don't know, maybe something along those lines would be interesting...

The basic idea is to make the Dark Side overall both more appealing to the unwise, as well as more easy for the desperate and deceived to attain...

Look at debt for a lot of your dark side excursions. I think the spellcasting debt would work awesome for what you want (YS290 "The dark powers are always willing to help").

Offline ironpoet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
I know everybody has been saying that you should use DFRPG and steal from SotC but I would actually go the other way around. SotC is way more cinematic so I'd go with that and just steal the supernatural aspects of DFRPG.

Look at debt for a lot of your dark side excursions. I think the spellcasting debt would work awesome for what you want (YS290 "The dark powers are always willing to help").

Force wielders can gain one Fate Point for one point of Dark Side Debt, as often as they want.  Dark Side Debt will compel your actions so that you take Lawbreaker Stunts (The Tenets of The Force are probably reasonably similar to The Laws of Magic)