Author Topic: Could Sponsored Magic cause "mutations"  (Read 4181 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Could Sponsored Magic cause "mutations"
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 06:18:56 AM »
Most followers of Abrahamic Religions tend to be like this.  As far as we can tell in the Dresden Files, the White God cares more about your ethics/heart than anything else.  Heck, Shiro was only even technically a Christian in the barest of senses.  Michael, as far as we know, is/was the only practicing Christian among the Knights of the Cross.  The White God clearly doesn't sweat the small stuff like religious beliefs or whatnot...what counts is your ethical core and how important that is to you (essentially).  Pretty utilitarian of him.

Indeed.

I'm just at a loss as to how someone could be a self-sacrificing hero, traveling the world and doing good for all and still somehow be involved in one of the fae courts (the most hedonistic and self-centered powers in the DV) at the upper levels at the same time.

The RAW even reminds players that playing a Knight involves a huge amount of dedication and sacrifice.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:20 AM »
Indeed.

I'm just at a loss as to how someone could be a self-sacrificing hero, traveling the world and doing good for all and still somehow be involved in one of the fae courts (the most hedonistic and self-centered powers in the DV) at the upper levels at the same time.

The RAW even reminds players that playing a Knight involves a huge amount of dedication and sacrifice.

There are nice parts of Summer that would get along with Knights of the Cross fairly well.  Perhaps the player sticks to that or they are just emphasizing that part in their campaign.  Or perhaps they have good reasons for getting involved, don't want to say "no" to a gift, and this provides an interesting conflict for future sessions.   Me no knows.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 07:35:10 AM »
There are nice parts of Summer that would get along with Knights of the Cross fairly well.  Perhaps the player sticks to that or they are just emphasizing that part in their campaign.  Or perhaps they have good reasons for getting involved, don't want to say "no" to a gift, and this provides an interesting conflict for future sessions.   Me no knows.

Well, it doesn't make sense to me at all but I do believe the combination would provide some bad ass role playing opportunities.

If the character is as conflicted as he would be as per our archetype examples in the novels, it should make for an interesting campaign.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
Alright, I avoided posting the story of the character because it is kind of convoluted.  The out of game reasons for this are that he was originally the Summer Knight, but every single one of the players hated the Fae and in order to keep people reasonably happy I decided to work with the GM to figure out a way to get out of that template, at the same time I settled onto an aspect that was Code of Honor, it is a Code of Honor that was given to medieval knights according to the Song of Roland.  So the GM and I decided that he should start making a transition towards being a Knight of the Cross instead.  Well we are sort of loosely adhering to cannon so at the time all 3 swords were accounted for, but my GM had learned of a Rom legend regarding a 4th nail.  So he came up with this story for me.

James was destined from the time of his birth to be a Knight of the Cross but was also born a Changeling, one of the most powerful Denarians discovered this and enacted a plan to try to take out potential sword bearers from play, the Knights of the Cross being their biggest threat.  The Archangel Uriel, discovered this plan and also knew that Titania had in her possession the legendary 4th nail of the Cross but she wouldn't part with it without some payment.  Uriel while discovering this also discovered that the Denarians were planning to capture Titania and trap her power causing a war between the Courts that would destroy the world.  So together he and Titania hatched a plan to set James up as a decoy Summer Knight, allowing the Denarians to think that their plan of taking James off the board as far as being a KotC was a success.  James would get all of the powers associated with being the Summer Knight temporarily while he did his duties to the Summer Court.  Upon the Denarians attempting to take Titania out, James would rescue her from her imprisonment and find the people who hatched such a heinous plan.  At the completion of this quest, Titania would release James from his geas and role as the decoy Summer Knight, and would relinquish the 4th nail to him so that a 4th sword could be forged and she would allow him to continue to make use of the magic of her Court.  He Chose to be human after the quest was completed so as to further remove himself from the influences of the Fae Courts (and because I needed to free up refresh to buy the True Faith abilities). 

So that is the story behind why I have Summer Magic and am a KotC...I am not trying to be a power gamer in this, I just really like the fluff (if I wanted to be a power gamer I would take Soul Fire instead), and I am not using it as a way to cheat and get inhuman or supernatural stats (although if I ever get the refresh to afford them I might try to pick them up, but that is very unlikely).  I unfortunately just love characters that are flawed in some way, and the idea of playing a mortal Knight of the Cross who wields Summer Magic but is being slowly warped by the powers that he is using was too good to pass up.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
I liked the idea even before you posted the whole story, and now I think its even better :)

Flawed characters are fun to play! I like such characters also. You and your GM came up with a really good story for your character.
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »
Ty.  :)

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
It's a great idea.  I may be bias, because we have a similiar character in our group.  The "4th Knight of the Cross" - and role played the making of the sword.  You got the 4th nail, now you need to find a master sword's smith - who has true faith, and then convince him to forge you the sword - while working the nail into the hilt...  Anyway it was a great game session just getting the sword made as the fallen, using vampires, attacked the forging area -- and had to be defended by the group -- over a period of hours the attacks got - more interesting.  It was one of the funnest game lines I've been in.  So - for my 2 cents worth -- great idea.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »
It's an interesting character.

Oh well - like I said, I won't judge anyone's character.  My character is a homophobic wanna-be womanizer who just likes to blow things up and has the social skills of a rattlesnake.  lol

Offline ActionMan3K

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »
James was destined from the time of his birth to be a Knight of the Cross but was also born a Changeling, one of the most powerful Denarians discovered this and enacted a plan to try to take out potential sword bearers from play, the Knights of the Cross being their biggest threat.  The Archangel Uriel, discovered this plan and also knew that Titania had in her possession the legendary 4th nail of the Cross but she wouldn't part with it without some payment.  Uriel while discovering this also discovered that the Denarians were planning to capture Titania and trap her power causing a war between the Courts that would destroy the world.  So together he and Titania hatched a plan to set James up as a decoy Summer Knight, allowing the Denarians to think that their plan of taking James off the board as far as being a KotC was a success.  James would get all of the powers associated with being the Summer Knight temporarily while he did his duties to the Summer Court.  Upon the Denarians attempting to take Titania out, James would rescue her from her imprisonment and find the people who hatched such a heinous plan.  At the completion of this quest, Titania would release James from his geas and role as the decoy Summer Knight, and would relinquish the 4th nail to him so that a 4th sword could be forged and she would allow him to continue to make use of the magic of her Court.  He Chose to be human after the quest was completed so as to further remove himself from the influences of the Fae Courts (and because I needed to free up refresh to buy the True Faith abilities). 

The question this raises for me is what is wrong with Titania?  First she's captured, after being forewarned, by beings that are nowhere near her power level in the nevernever.  Then she relies on an outsider playing at being the Summer Knight to rescue her.  Finally she not only gives him a powerful artifact but also permanent access to the powers of the Summer Knight without any allegiance to her court.  Where was the actual Summer Knight during all of this?

The most interesting thing about the whole thing to me, assuming no parts of it are retconned, is that she purposely decreased the powers of her court.  By giving power away with nothing in return she's creating an imbalance between the courts.  It seems she's become as batty as Aurora was.

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
We actually do not know what titiana was thinking, but it sounds reasonable to me that she would give anyone summer magic in a deal especially a kotc.  He will have to borrow fate chips someday, and she will get to have him as a tool on rare oocations.   
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 08:45:24 PM »
The question this raises for me is what is wrong with Titania?  First she's captured, after being forewarned, by beings that are nowhere near her power level in the nevernever. 

Uriel is involved, so we can assume Lucifer was helping out the Denarians.