Author Topic: Sponcered Magic ideas.  (Read 21117 times)

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Sponcered Magic ideas.
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
Where is the 'standard package' detailed? I've looked in the supernatural powers and spellcasting section, but I can't find it. I'm wondering if this is something added after the pre-order version?
Your story pg 287-292

EDIT: And another question... If a character already has evocation and accepts Seelie magic, the cost for Seelie Magic is then [-3]? [-1] for tacking on the power source to Evocation and an additional [-2] for the Seelie 'ritual' component?

Base cost for sealie magic is 4, you get a discount of one for already having evocation bringing it to -3.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Eldritch Donut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
I've read through those sections before and my head-scratcher issue is still one. So, where does it indicate anywhere therein focus slots are included in the package? I don't see it anywhere in there? I've noticed some talk in this thread about discounts for foci and obtaining them through sponsored magic, but I don't see any basis for obtaining focus items or focus item slots through sponsored magic.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »
Sponsored Magic [-Varies]
Description: Some varieties of magic draw
on power sources external to the practitioner.
Invariably, these sources of power have some
kind of agenda of their own. See Spellcasting,
page 287, for details about the various kinds of
Sponsored Magic.
Notes: The cost of Sponsored Magic changes
depending on whether or not you already
have Evocation or Thaumaturgy. This also
affects whether or not Sponsored Magic gives
you any additional focus item slots. If you’re
paying full price, you get four focus item slots
with this ability.
If you have either Evocation
or Thaumaturgy, thus reducing the cost of
Sponsored Magic, you only get two additional
focus item slots. If you have both, reducing the
cost more, you don’t get any additional focus
item slots.

pg 183
Brian Blacknight

Offline Eldritch Donut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2011, 04:21:03 AM »
Ah ha! Thank you. So there's one difference between the pre-order and the finished books. In the pre-order, the description is a short paragraph directing one to Pg 287. The info on 287 is also incomplete. Looks like I'm going to have to make some adaptations.

Thank you again for the pointers. I've thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated this topic. It cleared the topic up quite a bit and the chart is very useful.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »
Thank you again for the pointers. I've thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated this topic. It cleared the topic up quite a bit and the chart is very useful.

Your welcome. that was my intent. keep in mind though that the current set of examples on the front page is not up to date. I think it could be reworked to be a bit clearer as well. ill have to put that on my to do list.
Brian Blacknight

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Back to the topic of breaking down sponsored magic. i took the time to attempt to break down the ones in the book using the current system.

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!  ;D sorry i couldn't resist

Anywho I was thinking about making a sponsored magic for a character in my game who is going to be becoming an emissary of Thor soon and I wanted to see if you all weould like to take a crack at it mayhaps
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »
Well just of the top of my head and a verry quik look at wikipedia
n Norse polytheism, Thor (from Old Norse Þórr) is a hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, destruction, fertility, healing, and the protection of mankind.

Id define the theme of this kind of sponsored magic as the above. Though i would recommend cutting it down to thunder, lightning, storms, and strength, as healing is problematic in the dresdenverse, destruction is slightly redundant and i personally am not aware of any myths of thor that involve him being depicted as a god of fertility.

That gives you the basis of your rituals and channeling, which using the system farther back in this thread is 2 of the four points you get to allocate.
# Access to Rituals for the sponsor's theme [1]
# Access to Channeling for sponsor's element [1]

Personally for the other 2 i would probably choose
Reducing the effectiveness of all creature’s toughness powers [2]

As the Norse god whose domain it is to protect mankind i would give his magic the same ability to bypass toughness/recovery that soulfire gets. If that doesn't sit well with you id go with +1 to the power, control and +2 complexity to all of your thunder/lightning evocations.
Brian Blacknight

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
Well just of the top of my head and a verry quik look at wikipedia
Id define the theme of this kind of sponsored magic as the above. Though i would recommend cutting it down to thunder, lightning, storms, and strength, as healing is problematic in the dresdenverse, destruction is slightly redundant and i personally am not aware of any myths of thor that involve him being depicted as a god of fertility.

That gives you the basis of your rituals and channeling, which using the system farther back in this thread is 2 of the four points you get to allocate.
Personally for the other 2 i would probably choose
As the Norse god whose domain it is to protect mankind i would give his magic the same ability to bypass toughness/recovery that soulfire gets. If that doesn't sit well with you id go with +1 to the power, control and +2 complexity to all of your thunder/lightning evocations.

thanks that does hep alot sorry i took so long replying ive just been busy with school who wouldve thought pre-med would be difficult  :o :P lol
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2012, 06:36:59 AM »
WARNING: FIFTH LAW VIOLATION

This thread became relevant to an ongoing project, so I'm bringing it back to life. Will add actual content soon.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
Rereading the rules has convinced me that all Sponsored Magic contains Channelling and Ritual. I propose the following cost breakdown, which is not entirely original to me:

[1] Channelling (Sponsor)
[1] Ritual (Sponsor)
[1] Evothaum, roughly as broad as Ritual.
[1] Make Ritual universal.
[1] Reduce Toughness of specific enemy type.
[2] Reduce all Toughness.
[1] Stunt-equivalent effect.
[1] Refinement-equivalent effect.
[1] Broadening a specialization.
[X] Free X-refresh power.
[-1] Usage limitation.

Channelling and Ritual include focus slots and are lost if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy already.

Does this breakdown seem reasonable?

It works for all canon Sponsors except Kemmlerian Necromancy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:28:04 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
Channelling and Ritual include focus slots and are lost if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy already.

Does this breakdown seem reasonable?

Is it no longer feasible to make Focus Slots a line item, then?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
Might be feasible, but I don't think it'd be a good idea.

Look at Unseelie and Seelie magic. They give Channelling, Ritual, 4 focus slots, evothaum, and toughness reduction. That's 5 things, 6 if you consider each 2 focus slots to be a thing. And in order to make that cost 4 refresh, we either need to fold things together or apply fractional costs. Folding the focus slots into the casting powers seems like the best approach to me.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
It was clever at the time, but perhaps I can let it go, then.

Did we want to factor in a cost to reflect the Sponsor Debt, or did we figure that would zero itself out? Maybe that is the missing link between Sponsored Magic and Kemmlerian Necromancy?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »
Considering what Fred shared with us here regarding aspects and spellcasting power, debt seems a little less potent than it once was. At this point I'm thinking that the negatives are definitely well balanced with the positives (provided the the GM is taking advantage of the negatives).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
I was thinking that the ability to take debt debt would be free. Does that sound fair?

If you can find some way to make Kemmlerian Necromancy fit in, I'd appreciate it.