Author Topic: True Seeing Ointment  (Read 1060 times)

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
True Seeing Ointment
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:27:37 AM »
Mostly just a quick question on this rather interesting Enchanted Item/ Potion.

pg. 304,
True Seeing Ointment
Rashid, the Gatekeeper, gave Harry a vial of
ointment that allowed him to see through faerie
glamours without resorting to using the Sight.
Duration: A few hours, shorter if shared among
two people
Effect: A thaumaturgical effect granting +6 to
Alertness rolls to see through faerie glamours,
veils, and other illusions.
Variations: It’s conceivable that a similar ointment
could be made to help see through
other types of illusion magic, but it should
be very specific—mortal magic, Outsidersponsored
magic, etc.
Notes: This assumes the ointment’s maker has
a Lore of Fantastic (+6). It’s possible that the
Gatekeeper’s Lore is even higher than this.

Basically, I was wondering how most people see and run this...  I've noticed a decent number of people talking about Thaumaturgy and using it to increase ones abilities by an x+ amount.  From what I've seen, this Ointment is the only real precedent for such an effect, though I could be missing a paragraph of specific wording that may give another example...

My basic idea, is from what we've seen of MOST Enchanted Items, or other similar effects, is that the intended use of this Ointment, was not to give a +6 to the intended roll, but replace all potential rolls to break through faerie illusions at a roll of Fantastic.  IE, whenever you are faced with a Fae illusion, you automatically test to attempt to break at 4dF+6, the advantage of the Ointment.  You don't even need a reason to test for it, like you normally would.

Now, if everyone already "knew" this, and I'm just ranting on, then I feel really silly >.<
my 2 cents

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: True Seeing Ointment
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40:29 AM »
The way the ointment reacted in the book seemed to suggest it was adding +6 the roll rather than replacing it as High Sidhe Glamours are well quite often a lot stronger than +6 and it let them see through all of them. I think it is an exception because it was created by Rashid a senior council member.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain