Author Topic: *Cough* *Sneeze* "I have the flu..." Giving PCs the sniffles.  (Read 1518 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
*Cough* *Sneeze* "I have the flu..." Giving PCs the sniffles.
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:34:08 PM »
Two of my PCs are college students (and all of my players are), so I was struck by ideas on how to complicate their lives in that traditional manner of dorm-rot, the malaise that seems to effortlessly circulate through the dorms in the winter. 

The best way to do this, I feel, is to have the at-risk PCs make an Endurance roll at the beginning of the scenario; those that fail the roll are afflicted with a sticky (and slimy) aspect that's worded along the lines of "The Flu", "Dorm Rot", "I'm Normally As Healthy As An Ox... Someone Please Shoot Me."

Then, over the course of the scenario, compel that aspect at inconvenient times: a Stealth roll is botched because of a sneeze, a Discipline roll is gone because the character can't focus through the haze of DayQuil, etc. 

Can also work for allergies.   ::)

Thoughts?  Has anyone afflicted their PCs with the flu yet and have stories?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: *Cough* *Sneeze* "I have the flu..." Giving PCs the sniffles.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
I might use this idea for an example for a serious consequence for one of my character with a fatigue (modified hunger) track. She would get worn down and then get sick. which would be hilarious. the character is an eight year old animal shape shifter with the trouble "flips the table". Getting sick would be an interesting challenge for the player.

Had a funny thought. A character with Mono. It might be a good excuse if one of your collage going characters can't be around for a while.
"The door is ajar"

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »
Could also be modeled as a poison, making an attack against Endurance every so often. Stress accumulated in this way wouldn't disappear at the end of the scene.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »
There's a Conflict type which I can't locate in the rules at the moment, but it's called something like a Conflict for Effect (that's not it). You just set up a simple Conflict, but failure means a straight consequence.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:35:50 PM »
You could add a sticky aspect to their dorm of "Flu outbreak in progress", or one to the city of "Flu epidemic" and let people tag it as normal.

Your PC gets tagged with it, he has the flu for a few days.

Richard