Author Topic: Alternate uses of Lawbreaker?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Alternate uses of Lawbreaker?
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
So, what would people think about alternate uses for the Lawbreaker power.  I have in mind using it to show a wizard who consistently throws too much power at a problem.  The way that it would work is that if you take backlash you could pick up the power, the more times you take backlash from channeling more problem than you can handle.  You would get the +1 bonus to your conviction roll but not to your discipline (you still can't handle the power), although you could possibly use focus items to aid in your ability to handle it all.  I am also toying around with the idea of compelling the aspect that you get with this power anytime you try to cast a controllable evocation spell, you just can't control yourself at this point.  Thoughts?

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate uses of Lawbreaker?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:46:18 AM »
That sounds more like a magic addiction mechanic (Willow in Buffy anyone)? I can see the parallel to the lawbreaker mechanic, but it is much more opt in.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:05:10 AM »
Yes!  This is exactly what I was thinking.  I know that it is a much better use of refresh to buy Refinement, but sometimes you just want to play something that well, isn't refined.  Someone who is young, brash, and solves all of his problems with extreme prejudice....regardless of the cost to his body and mind.  It sets him apart from other wizards at least.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:06:12 AM »
Minor and Significant Milestones allow the changing of Aspects - perhaps just change Aspects to reflect the growing addiction?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:16:13 AM »
Minor and Significant Milestones allow the changing of Aspects - perhaps just change Aspects to reflect the growing addiction?

An aspect for addiction is pretty good.  You even get a fate point for the bad behavior (which you can use to help out the behavior if you want).

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »
I know that using an aspect is an easy answer, I just was thinking about ways to have a bonus that is always on.  I sometimes feel that using an aspect for things is too lenient because (at least in the short amount of time that we have been playing in the FATE system) the player can pick and choose when to play out the flaw, depending upon whether they want/need the fate point or not.  This could just be me being a cynic though, or maybe not knowing the exact nature of compels (we have been playing them where they don't have to be taken).

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »
Actually, giving the character a bonus to conviction is sort of counter-intuitive to me.
If it's about shoving too much power into something, then increasing power by overcasting seems much more in line with the concept.

If you need a power upgrade to make it playable, buy refinement as power upgrades only and, as has been said, add an aspect denoting his addiction, and maybe another one showing that he is, as you wanted, "young, brash, and solves all of his problems with extreme prejudice....regardless of the cost to his body and mind"

I think there's no need to invent a new mechanic for it.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »

the same could be said for the lawbreaker stunts to begin with.
Brian Blacknight